Thread: SHEEP Guide???

Default SHEEP Guide???

First post/great webpage!
    Was at the board meeting last week. saw none of the sheep suggestions pasted.
    I heard mentioned in one of the meetings and 2 people talking and saying to guide for sheep or bears a hunter might be on a hunt with a 19 year old assistant guide that had never even saw a bear or ssheep. Can that be true. Don't sound fare since i have shoot six sheep and helped 2 friends but I can't help my friend from Maine?
    Is that true about alaskas game law and guiding for sheep or brwn bears?
    thnks
    Bill

Someone else can hash out the details, but there is a small grain of truth to what you heard. To be a licensed assistant guide in Alaska a person first has to work as a packer under a registered guide and pass a test. I don't know the details, but the folks working as assistants are not on their first trip into the woods. That being said, they also might only have a couple of seasons experience as a packer and may not have ever personally taken the animal that they are guiding for. Additionally, they do not have to be a resident in order to guide other non-residents for species that require a guide. It's an interesting system, for sure. I would like to think that no registered guide in their right mind would hire an assistant guide for sheep or bear that doesn't have a good deal of experience pursuing those animals, but I don't really know what standards are common in the industry. There are some awfully good guides out there, though - of that I have no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Someone else can hash out the details, but there is a small grain of truth to what you heard. To be a licensed assistant guide in Alaska a person first has to work as a packer under a registered guide and pass a test. I don't know the details, but the folks working as assistants are not on their first trip into the woods. That being said, they also might only have a couple of seasons experience as a packer and may not have ever personally taken the animal that they are guiding for. Additionally, they do not have to be a resident in order to guide other non-residents for species that require a guide. It's an interesting system, for sure. I would like to think that no registered guide in their right mind would hire an assistant guide for sheep or bear that doesn't have a good deal of experience pursuing those animals, but I don't really know what standards are common in the industry. There are some awfully good guides out there, though - of that I have no doubt.
    Yeah Brian your pretty close there you tecnically never have to be a packer and I believe you can go to a classes to get an assistant license but you are correct and I seriously doubt any registered is going to send a greenhorn out with hunters, its thier buisness on the line. hunter of sheep I can post a link for you to the state license requirements if you are intersted..

from the state site:

Sec. 08.54.630. ASSISTANT GUIDE LICENSE. (a) A natural person is entitled to an assistant guide license if
    the person
    (1) is 18 years of age or older;
    (2) has legally hunted big game in the state during two calendar years;
    (3) possesses a first aid card issued by the Red Cross or a similar organization;
    (4) either
    (A) obtains a written recommendation from a registered guide-outfitter who intends to employ the person
    as an assistant guide; or
    (B) provides evidence that the person passed an assistant guide training course approved by the board; and
    -4-
    (5) applies for an assistant guide license on a form provided by the department and pays the license
    application fee and the license fee.
    (b) An assistant guide
    (1) may not contract to guide or outfit a big game hunt;
    (2) shall be employed by a registered guide-outfitter and under the supervision of a registered guide-outfitter
    or class-A assistant guide while the assistant guide is in the field on guided hunts; and
    (3) may not take charge of a camp or provide guide services unless the contracting registered guide-outfitter is
    in the field and participating in the contracted hunt or a registered guide-outfitter or class-A assistant guide
    employed by the contracting guide is physically present and supervising the hunt.

Yeah, I didn't think you even had to take a class and pass a written test anymore. That was from my time years ago. I actually failed the written test the first time. All you need now is references from a reg. guide. Never heard about having to be a packer before you could guide.

Hay thanks everybody. sure helps. just seams funny that a young 19teen year old can guide for sheep/bears & not have ever seen one, but somebody that s been on a lot of hunts for the animal can't help a friend not from Alaska.
    Thankyou for the help.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by hunterofsheep View Post
    Hay thanks everybody. sure helps. just seams funny that a young 19teen year old can guide for sheep/bears & not have ever seen one, but somebody that s been on a lot of hunts for the animal can't help a friend not from Alaska.
    Thankyou for the help.
    Bill
    Just adopt your friend then you can.....lol

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Just adopt your friend then you can.....lol
    Hmmmmmmm! already glad i posted!!!

If Alaska was a same sex marriage state you could marry him. LOL

Sorry I could not resist.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post

though of that already. guess it wasn't worth ah sheep since SHE said no. (the huntress / don't know about the sheep but not interested in the sheep.
    Bill

The fact is, the 19 year old asst guide has never hunted or seen sheep doesnt matter....I'm pretty sure the Master guide (outfitter) already told him where the sheep are.....weather might come into play where they can't see sheep, and never leave the tent, but the sheep are there.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post

thank you but doesn't the assistant guide still have to figure out how big the sheep is and how to get close enough to shoot it?
    Bill

thank you but doesn't the assistant guide still have to figure out how big the sheep is and how to get close enough to shoot it?
    Bill
    yes he does,he also has to know how to hunt him, how to cape him, how to field dress him ect..ect.. there is not any respectable guide in this state that will put a hunter in the field with a novice guide that has no experience period!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    yes he does,he also has to know how to hunt him, how to cape him, how to field dress him ect..ect.. there is not any respectable guide in this state that will put a hunter in the field with a novice guide that has no experience period!!!!!!
    great reply. guess the concern would only be if their were unrespectable people guideing.
    Thank you again
    biill

great reply. guess the concern would only be if their were unrespectable people guideing.
    Thank you again
    biill
    cant argue with that. Thats why I believe all hunters should ask questions and do their homework. Unrespectable guides dont usually last in most cases..word travels...internet and all that....

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Not to mention how to identify a legal ram in the first place....!!!