Thread: Understanding the Regulations

Default Understanding the Regulations

Good day.

Several of you have helped me gear up for my 1st trip to Alaska. I was successful finding a new hunting partner after the first one had to bail. Deposits are in, airlines are booked, and the gear list is nearing completion. We'll be bowhunting caribou in either 23 or 26A from August 28th through September 3rd. Been reading and digesting the regulations....and just want to make sure I'm on the right track.

- First, it is understood that everything I've learned will need to be re-visited after June 30th.

- Both of us have bowhunter certification cards.

- Archery equipment meets requirements.

- Intended purchases include: annual hunting license, two caribou tags, wolf tag, 14 day fishing license.

- Small game covered by annual hunting license.

- Can't hunt big game same day we fly in.

- Could take black bear or wolverine (beginning 9/1) on a caribou tag. (although told black bear unlikely this far north)

- Harvest tickets only required for caribou. (not black bear or wolverine)

- Keep licenses, tags and harvest tickets on person while hunting and fishing.

- Tag big game and fill out harvest ticket immediately upon kill. Keep harvest ticket until meat is processed.

- Black bear (skull and hide), wolf and wolverine (hide only) require sealing within 30 days of harvest

- Caribou meat in 23 must be left on the bone. Caribou can be boned out completely in 26A.

- No proof of sex necessary on caribou during this time frame.

- Get meat back to camp first. Head and hide are last out.

- Photos of kill sites and meat cache are a good idea.

- Meat flown out by transport prior to the end of hunt requires transfer form.

- Donated meat requires transfer form.

- Report big game harvests after hunt.

So, am I missing and/or misunderstanding anything here?

Appreciate you guys!

Paul

You seem very prepared,,, except Black Bears do now require a Harvest Tag and have for a couple years.

Bug spray and head net and have fun.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I don't know how sentimental you are but you might wanna keep your harvest ticket and cartridge/arrow that killed the animal, just cause its cool to have sitting on the shelf next to your rack. brings back memories
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Looks like you really have things well thought out. You are probably well ahead of a lot of locals when it comes to listing out the critical points of the hunt you are heading for. Good on you.

The only thing I would add is regarding meat hauling. If you have multiple flights to get out from camp to wherever you are based, meat goes first (before head/hide and camp and other supplies) all the way. Camp is still considered to be the "field". Just apply your plan of meat back to camp to the entire return.

make sure if you're coming through kotzebue to dress like rambo and wander around town....that might add some excitement to your trip. seriously you sound very prepared. you probably know more about the regs than most up here.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the feedback.

Been gleaning information from this website and the Alaska G&F website for over a year now. Now, if I can just get through the next
    24 weeks (not that I'm counting, LOL!).

The caribou hunt is the primary focus of the trip, but should get to see more than tundra on my 1st trip to Alaska. Arriving on an evening flight to Fairbanks. Then off to Bettles the following morning. Planning for seven full days of hunting on the Brooks range.

Built in some extra days on the tail end. In part, to allow for weather delays, but hoping to use some of those days to experience more of Alaska. Planning to rent a vehicle in Fairbanks and drive down to the Kenai Peninsula. Maybe do some fishing and hiking.....before flying home via Anchorage.

Actually considered trying some spot and stalk black bear hunting on the Kenai. Probably won't have enough time to do a bear tag justice, but heaven forbid... if it works out there is still a caribou tag in my pocket....might just have to carry my bow along on those "hikes". You never know...?

Again, thanks for the feedback. Feeling more confident of my understanding now that it's been proofed by experience.

Take care,
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by inarcher View Post

Actually considered trying some spot and stalk black bear hunting on the Kenai. Probably won't have enough time to do a bear tag justice, but heaven forbid... if it works out there is still a caribou tag in my pocket....might just have to carry my bow along on those "hikes". You never know...?
    You might be surprised, Paul. Fall is the absolute best time for spot and stalk black bear hunting, and I've seen six or seven in an afternoon down on the Kenai Peninsula. They're spending every possible minute gorging themselves on blueberries, mostly up near the tops of the mountains. If you're willing to put in some effort climbing up after them, it's not an unrealistic notion at all.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

on reporting harvest...just to be clear..you also have to report if you dont harvest..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Transfer of Possession form:
    Anyone in possession of game meat IN THE FIELD either needs a hunting license and properly notched tag.............or they need a transfer of Possession form. That includes your transporter if he is bringing in meat without the hunter. It could also include a member of your hunting party taking meat that is not his/hers back to town or road.
    The form is not needed for meat given or carried in town...............meaning not IN THE FIELD.
    If you read the form, it says, "for the purpose of transport".
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

OK, so the regulation clarifications I 'm seeing here include:

- Harvest ticket is required for black bear

- Meat goes first (if multiple flights)

- Harvest report required....even if no harvest

- Transfer of possesion only required in the field (temporary or permanent)

Appreciate the info....along with the tips and advice provided.

Paul