Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 124

Thread: New regulations for mat-su kings

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    176

    Default New regulations for mat-su kings

    Rumor has it that Fish and Game is going to change the annual harvest of kings in the Mat-Su from 5/year to 2/year.

  2. #2
    Member skybust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    alaska
    Posts
    2,426

    Default

    Cant say its a big suprise. Wouldnt suprise me if they shut it down altogather if we have a run like last year.
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

  3. #3
    Member thewhop2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,366

    Default

    That limit is for all of Upper Cook Inlet at the moment. If they do it for the Mat-su, they need to be consistant and do it for all of UCI.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

  4. #4
    Member Hunt&FishAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Valley trash
    Posts
    2,316

    Default

    i wouldnt cry about it.....i only kept one 30lb buck last year......all i needed....theres plenty of silvers, reds, chums to take home....do NOT overlook semi-bright chums as a great substitute for excellent table fare.....they are just as tasty as any king i ever eaten...and hell theres thousands of em....there in every creek on the parks and i almost never see someone keep one...lol but ive seen those same people keep bright pinks!....i dunno maybe they thought they were silvers or somethin.....



    Release Lake Trout

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    That limit is for all of Upper Cook Inlet at the moment. If they do it for the Mat-su, they need to be consistant and do it for all of UCI.
    So how does that logic work with the Kenai today? It's been at 2 for the year for a long, long time so how is that "consistent for all of UCI?" My point is ADF&G has a history of micro managing UCI and they should continue to do that. Do I agree with the Valley going from 5 to 2? I don't know the facts that the managers are dealing with to make an informed decision.

  6. #6

    Default

    It will also be single hook only area wide. After June 11 all highway streams will be catch and release. The Little Su will be catch and keep Friday-Monday (if you choose to keep) and catch and release only Tuesday-Thursday. If you have questions just call Sam Ivey at the Palmer office. The Deska will be the same as always with a two fish limit...man will it be crowded all the guides (not me) will end up there if they want to stay busy.

    William Booth

  7. #7
    Member Bob the fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    I'm not doubting yous fella's comments about the bag limit for Kings but would like to know where your getting your info. I'm heading up to the Deshka River and Lake Creek area for the Memorial Day Weekend (5 days) and so have a chance to get 5 of em, unless; as you say, I'm only allowed to get 2 of em. 2 is better than none I recon but I can't find anything about that in the regs (and yes, I know the regs still show the old regs and won't be update until April 14, 2012). Guess I'll have to wait and see or maybe I just don't know the right people... thanx... "fishon"


    Quote Originally Posted by wbooth View Post
    It will also be single hook only area wide. After June 11 all highway streams will be catch and release. The Little Su will be catch and keep Friday-Monday (if you choose to keep) and catch and release only Tuesday-Thursday. If you have questions just call Sam Ivey at the Palmer office. The Deska will be the same as always with a two fish limit...man will it be crowded all the guides (not me) will end up there if they want to stay busy.

    William Booth
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

  8. #8
    Member AlaskaHippie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Fork
    Posts
    3,853

    Default

    It'd be nice to see NO retention of Kings in Cook Inlet for the next 5 years (Sport and Commercial). But hey, we can all dream I suppose.

    Flame suit on.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

  9. #9
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    It'd be nice to see NO retention of Kings in Cook Inlet for the next 5 years (Sport and Commercial). But hey, we can all dream I suppose.

    Flame suit on.
    when a conservation issue arrises. i cant shoot and release anything...shouldn't be able to hook and release it either
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  10. #10
    Member Laker Taker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    433

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    I'm not doubting yous fella's comments about the bag limit for Kings but would like to know where your getting your info. I'm heading up to the Deshka River and Lake Creek area for the Memorial Day Weekend (5 days) and so have a chance to get 5 of em, unless; as you say, I'm only allowed to get 2 of em. 2 is better than none I recon but I can't find anything about that in the regs (and yes, I know the regs still show the old regs and won't be update until April 14, 2012). Guess I'll have to wait and see or maybe I just don't know the right people... thanx... "fishon"
    I thought that you were going to be running your boat down on the Kenai this season....

  11. #11
    Member thewhop2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,366

    Default

    Don't know anything about the Kenai cause I gave up fishing there 20 years ago. Look at the back of your fishing license though, it used to say 5 for UCI and had the space for same. Maybe things have changed in river in places but UCI used to be a flat five. With the way the runs are going, I'm thinking no retention but out in the salt. That would give the stock a little better chance of making escapement in all tributaries, JMO.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

  12. #12
    Member Bullelkklr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    4,835

    Default

    I won't be surprised if they shut it all down to C&R. Won't shut it all down - they the commercial fishery would have to shut down too.

  13. #13
    Member Reel Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wbooth View Post
    It will also be single hook only area wide. After June 11 all highway streams will be catch and release. The Little Su will be catch and keep Friday-Monday (if you choose to keep) and catch and release only Tuesday-Thursday. If you have questions just call Sam Ivey at the Palmer office. The Deska will be the same as always with a two fish limit...man will it be crowded all the guides (not me) will end up there if they want to stay busy.

    William Booth
    Now the question I have is, What are the rules going to be for Clear Creek?

  14. #14
    Member Bob the fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    Well I wasn't guna fish it; I gave up salmon fishing on that river a couple years ago, way way too many people for me now, seems to be more of a touristy thing and its not always that much fun for the guy driving the boat either. (I ran that river for 12 years with a 20' Klamath and a sweet 35 yamaha). I do go and hit it in the fall for fat bows though (and not in my phantom). As far as running up it, thats what I was talking about, 40+ mph running some butiful skinny water. Was just a pipe dream... "fishon"

    Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    I thought that you were going to be running your boat down on the Kenai this season....
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

  15. #15
    Member Bob the fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    I could probably deal with that to save a fishery but check this out: I live here all the time, this is my home and and this is my backyard and most of all, this is my playground. I eat all I catch (and usually some that night) so if we can keep some of the out-of-state guides or even the instate guides and their tourists to maybe a 3 day fishery, the rest of us would not worry so much... You know that thing they have on the Deshka River called "The Fence" ( boats tied to boats tied to boats tied to boats)? I couldn't hardly beleive it when I first saw that. How can you catch a fish when you 10' from the guy next to you? Guess I just hate combat fishing... This is just one fisherman's opinion... 'fishon '


    0]It'd be nice to see NO retention of Kings in Cook Inlet for the next 5 years (Sport and Commercial). But hey, we can all dream I suppose.

    Flame suit on.[/QUOTE]
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

  16. #16
    Member AlaskaHippie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Fork
    Posts
    3,853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    I could probably deal with that to save a fishery but check this out: I live here all the time, this is my home and and this is my backyard and most of all, this is my playground. I eat all I catch (and usually some that night) so if we can keep some of the out-of-state guides or even the instate guides and their tourists to maybe a 3 day fishery, the rest of us would not worry so much... You know that thing they have on the Deshka River called "The Fence" ( boats tied to boats tied to boats tied to boats)? I couldn't hardly beleive it when I first saw that. How can you catch a fish when you 10' from the guy next to you? Guess I just hate combat fishing... This is just one fisherman's opinion... 'fishon '


    It'd be nice to see NO retention of Kings in Cook Inlet for the next 5 years (Sport and Commercial). But hey, we can all dream I suppose.

    Flame suit on.
    I also live here full time, and have for over 40 years now. Non-res guides irritate the crap out of, however we all share the burden of sustaining this fishery. And passing the buck may not be the answer. Deshka is a prime example, as is the mouth of Willow, the mouth of Sheep, and the zoo on the lower Kenai. Fact is the Kings have to run a gauntlet, and based on their declining numbers, many aren't surviving the trip.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

  17. #17
    Member Bob the fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    Yes sir... I'm totaly whichya on that subject... I couldn't imagine being a salmon and having to try to get past all those lures and globs of bait just to get up to my home waters to spawn and die... Hell, them sons-o-guns are lucky just to have made it out of their home waters and not becoming supper for a pike. A couple years of catch and release would do these fisheries a world of good but it's all about the money the way I see it... "fishon"


    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    I also live here full time, and have for over 40 years now. Non-res guides irritate the crap out of, however we all share the burden of sustaining this fishery. And passing the buck may not be the answer. Deshka is a prime example, as is the mouth of Willow, the mouth of Sheep, and the zoo on the lower Kenai. Fact is the Kings have to run a gauntlet, and based on their declining numbers, many aren't surviving the trip.
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

  18. #18
    Member ysr_racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Happily in So Cal.
    Posts
    583

    Default

    The Little Su sucked last year, I'm sure it will suck this year.

    Shut it down for five years and give it a rest.
    brad g.
    So Cal, USA
    Visit my Sporting Clays website
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

  19. #19
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    29

    Default

    It was the boat traffic that ruined the Little Su. Before the road was improved and yogi-bear park-style facility built, the fishing there was incredible.

  20. #20
    Member Bob the fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    Ya buddy!!! I agree with that. Since they paved that road and made it 50 miles an hour now, Everybody with anything that floats now hits that river. Like the ysr racer said, close it to fishing for five or so years and see what happens. You know dam well, them fish will return like they used to... "fishon"

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobnick View Post
    It was the boat traffic that ruined the Little Su. Before the road was improved and yogi-bear park-style facility built, the fishing there was incredible.
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •