Thread: Commercial Airfares to Alaska

Default Commercial Airfares to Alaska

I've noticed that some of the airfares to Alaska have never gone on sale in 2012. If the forum members don't mind I would like to know what every one who travels to & within Alaska spends on airfare within the state on a commercial aircraft like Alaska, Delta, Era etc. I will be traveling to Kodiak from Honolulu in early June 2012. Any tips on when to buy or waiting would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Lapaiki39 View Post
    I've noticed that some of the airfares to Alaska have never gone on sale in 2012. If the forum members don't mind I would like to know what every one who travels to & within Alaska spends on airfare within the state on a commercial aircraft like Alaska, Delta, Era etc. I will be traveling to Kodiak from Honolulu in early June 2012. Any tips on when to buy or waiting would be appreciated.
    I travel between Anchorage and Honolulu usually twice a year. The best deals I have found are in mid-late October. This correspondes to the time when Alaskans receive our Permanent Fund Dividend. Alaska Airlines tends to offer prices of about $420 round trip (Anchorage - Honolulu) to take advantage of the influx of money. I would guess that would be the best time to purchase other connecting flights. Whenever you do make your commitment, make sure to check back off and on between then and when you are traveling. You might find a cheaper price that saves you more than the "change fee". I did this for a trip to the lower 48 over Christmas this year, getting about a $200 credit once all things were factored in (and got better flights on top of it).

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Alaska Airlines tends to offer prices of about $420 round trip (Anchorage - Honolulu)
    And that's roughly what Anchorage-Kodiak round trip costs.

Kodiak to San Diego: $2100, Kodiak to Newport News (VA): $2300, Kodiak to ANC: $354.

All traveled this year.

Looks right. Ain't competition a beautiful thing!

Anywhere in the USA to anywhere Alaska Airlines flies; $85.00 total cost.

Breakdowns:

Alaska Airlines VISA signature card; $75.00 per year.
    Round trip flight taxes; $10.00

Book 225 days ahead of time and you'll make it.

I haven't paid for a flight to and from Alaska in over 17 years. I use air miles, carefully play the credit card inducement game, never spend cash or write checks, and I charge everything and pay within 30 days of billing to defray interest.

There is no difference between me or any of you in consumer application. Though I do it professionally, you can do it casually.

It amazes me how few of my friends listen to my advice and many say I'm full of it. To them I say pay full fare...
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Thanks for all your replys. I too have been playing the Alaska Airlines credit card game for many years. However this year we need a trip for 2 to Kodiak. I'd like to take advantage of that 99.00 certificate that the signature card provides. We usually divide the total in half and usually get a terrific deal, however I notice this year the fares have only increased & I still don't have my ticket in hand.

Can't say I have paid a dime to fly anywhere... But those were my ticket prices..

Quote Originally Posted by Lapaiki39 View Post
    Thanks for all your replys. I too have been playing the Alaska Airlines credit card game for many years. However this year we need a trip for 2 to Kodiak. I'd like to take advantage of that 99.00 certificate that the signature card provides. We usually divide the total in half and usually get a terrific deal, however I notice this year the fares have only increased & I still don't have my ticket in hand.
    I was just looking and you can get from Honolulu to Kodiak for about $800 round trip making it about $450 each once you throw in your companion fare. Not too bad if you ask me considering Kodiak itself is pretty expensive. You can get a round trip to Anchorage for about $450. Their site has a low fare calendar so you can adjust your dates to save money. I've also combined some mileage to pay down the ticket, say 50% mileage and 50% cash, but I don't know how this affects the companion fare. Good luck.

You should sign up for the Ak Air web specials. They will periodically send out prices and specials usuelly weekly. The prices are better than their normal prices but you can still beat them. Kayak.com is pretty good at shaving off a few hundred bucks from the normal fare price.
    Ak Airlines had a pretty good deal going for April, think it was 540$ round trip Kodiak to Honolulu, which is about twice what the normal price is for Kodiak to Anchorage. Just keep an eye on the web specials and book far ahead, also sometimes buying miles from the airlines during milage sales can help you cut costs. Whatever you do, dont buy from the counter, always go off the web.

Thanks guys! One great thing about the Alaska Airlines web site is they allow you to look at the seats even if you have not bought the ticket. I can's see them leaving all those seats unsold without offering a special soon.

If your short on miles, you may want to look buying air miles right now. There is a 40% bonus sale. I just bought 42,000 miles for a little under $900. Then in turn used 45,000 miles to get 6 one way tickets that would have normally cost me about $1400.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Quite impressive, Milo!
    Congratulations in utilizing the system the best anyone can do...

Rosenberg; Sarasota, FL / Kodiak, AK
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

ANC to Salt Lake on Delta usually runs $600 RT. I make about 150 flights a year and have found that there are a few tricks to getting good fares. One that works most of the time is to look at different routing. Recently I was going from ANC to Salt Lake (one way), the price was $600 (that's high for a oneway). So I looked at routing from ANC to salt lake but going through Vegas. That flight was only $400...funny thing is the routing is ANC to SLC to Vegas back to SLC. I know it seems stupid but the airlines price on destinations. So I pay less get more frequent flier miles. One other trick is I try and plan trips during busy flight times. I will take bumps and usually get 400 delta dollars. You obviously need to have some extra time in your schedule and you should do your research about alternate flights to make sure you have options..I know this isn't for everyone but I pickup about $1600 per year and that money isn't limited to just your flights, you can give it to whoever you wish. I also use a search engine called KAYAK.com, and I always book my flights thru the airlines web page...I never use orbitz or other similar sites, most all airlines offer the best fares on their site...just some ideas...

Thank for all your help! I finally used my miles today. Can't Wait!!!

I do as BRR, I have a business, and pay as much as possible with my card, I get about 2 tickets per month, I am sending my brother, his wife, and their 2 kids to Alaska from Seattle to fish with me this summer, I also purchase tickets for some of my customers so they can come visit me in the great state, never pay interest and tickets only cost from $5.00 to $10.00 RT