View Poll Results: Are you in favor of the Board of Game allowing moose calves to be harvested?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

60 70.59%
  • No

25 29.41%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calf hunt Poll, How many are for this /against this

Default Calf hunt Poll, How many are for this /against this

Someone else has to start the poll thing because I dont know how, lol

I have had numerious calls today expressing there thoughts on this.

So if one of you know how to pull up the poll graph I would apperacite it.

Alright, the poll has been added.

If the justification for the hunt is based on biological science, I would pull the trigger.

I don't believe in any research done by any government department as all results end up showing they need more people and money to better fund better research.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thanks Brian.

The reason I am for calf harvest is not shooting this year's calves, but harvesting last year (1 1/2 year olds) that are still with their mother... They are ready to be kicked off the teat, and would make it on their own. However, now it is illegal to harvest either if together.

Chris

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    The reason I am for calf harvest is not shooting this year's calves, but harvesting last year (1 1/2 year olds) that are still with their mother... They are ready to be kicked off the teat, and would make it on their own. However, now it is illegal to harvest either if together.

Chris
    ready to be off teat?... they are off the teat the first year by August..

and only some tags made calf harvest illegal if with mom..20b has been allowing it for a lomg time..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Below is our AK BHA comments on the calf hunt proposal. Sorry Elvin...just gotta agree to disagree on this one:

Proposal 205 – 5AAC 85.045. Change the legal animal for the Unit 20A & 20B antlerless hunts.

SUPPORT

We could not agree more with the rationale of this proposal to allow the taking of calf moose in areas where we have antlerless hunts and are striving to meet both population and harvest goals.

We also would recommend the board considers the other solution offered in this proposal, a party permit that would allow the taking of a cow/calf pair.

Mark, Vince, and all the rest of you that support this, all I can say its just wrong and I hope you can live with what happens down the road.

Go for it, I for one will take no part in this.

This is'nt about emotions either, it's about the future of game hunting opp. not just what today looks like.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Mark, Vince, and all the rest of you that support this, all I can say its just wrong and I hope you can live with what happens down the road.

Go for it.
    Dude..thats freaking funy..esspessally since fawn hunts have been around near forever. just when i thought you wete learning biology 101
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post

Go for it.
    I've yet to hear a biologically sound reason why this is wrong, but I'm all ears if you've got an argument to make. Honestly, my mind can be changed, but in certain cases it seems like a solid management approach.

First off Vince, do you know why they are shooting the fawns? Maybe they got out of control when they shot all thier predetiors off and the "herd" got out of control. How many wolfs, bears, lions are left in the lower 48? ( see a pattern ) ( when you have to re-interduce a species to a place it tells you something went wrong.)

Don't have anything Brian orther than the 40+ years in the woods, and unless I had a degree nobody would listen to me anyway.

Actully Elvin..you REALLY, need to look at black bear and yote populations in many of the Eastern states... some are more then compairible to Ak, and still have over flowing ungulate areas

meet on face book here

Antlerless elk hunts are the same way. It makes no sense to not be able to harvest calves.

...That... and i hate to put it to you this way my friend.. 40 years in the woods does pnot give you a bio degree, particularly..if they are always the SAME.. woods.. critters move around.. sometimes you have to go to the neighbors house, to see how your yard looks

meet on face book here

Elvin, I would love to sit down with ya on this, and talk the biology, and what is compensatory or additive mortality, and what Val Geist had to say on calf harvests etc.

All I'll add is that when/if we are trying to bring a population down, or to stabilize a population, calf and cow harvests are a part of that. I would also add that at this BOG meeting, the IM harvest objectives were dropped considerably, ironically while the population objectives were raised. Fairbanks is really well off to have area biologists like Don Young, I never cease to be impressed with all of Region III staff.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Elvin, I would love to sit down with ya on this, and talk the biology, and what is compensatory or additive mortality, and what Val Geist had to say on calf harvests etc.

All I'll add is that when/if we are trying to bring a population down, or to stabilize a population, calf and cow harvests are a part of that. I would also add that at this BOG meeting, the IM harvest objectives were dropped considerably, ironically while the population objectives were raised. Fairbanks is really well off to have area biologists like Don Young, I never cease to be impressed with all of Region III staff.
    should also be pointed out....

Mark and I agree....;-)

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    should also be pointed out....

Mark and I agree....;-)
    Whoever had March 10th, 9:26 P.M. - You win the pool.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Although I wouldn't shoot a calf (wouldn't shoot a cow personally) if a moose pop. is thriving and achieving population goals with good annual calf survival rates, then I have no problem with other people shooting calf or cow moose. There isn't much meat on a calf and I'm not even sure it's worth shooting a moose for, but for some people the meat off one calf might be all the meat they eat in a winter.

I think some of the guys against this believe they have biological reasons and not just personal reasons for not wanting the harvest of calves or cows to take place. Either they don't believe the moose pop. is as high as the biologists believe or calf/cow annual survival rates are not as high as biologists believe. I don't hunt or fly the 20A or 20B area so I can't give my opinion on whether I think moose pops. are in the approximate range biologists believe.

I think the main thing before a calf or cow hunt should take place or be expanded biologists should produce annual adult cow and annual calf survival rates and produce #'s to show how they come up with what they believe the survival rates are. If calf survival rates are high then a moose pop. can support a pretty good amount of cow/bull take because there is good recruitment. If there's good moose survival rates in 20A and 20B, then there should be no problems allowing the take of calves.

Vince,

The average weaning age for Alaskan moose is 6 to 10 monthes....
    My math may be a little off, but that usually means their taking milk till sometime around December to March time frame...
    Harvesting their milk supply much before then, they just don't do well.
    And I have watched a second year calve on their mother's milk....

I'm not against harvesting this young 1st year age class, but you may wish you had tags for any siblings and the Cow also....

Chris

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast