Thread: Custom Mountain Hunting Pack

Default Custom Mountain Hunting Pack

I'm thinking about getting a custom pack made for me.
    Can you guys tell me what feachers you would have on it.
    like size, pockets, and material.
    Thanks

For me personally, the ability to cinch down an unloaded/lightly loaded pack is an absolute must. I don't like excessive buckles and straps getting hung up on stuff. I have become a camelbak junkie, without a bladder i am miserable, and lots of packs put the bladder in the main compartment in harms way. A good top compartment/usable pockets are nice too. Just my .02

If going full custom and you are willing to throw the budget out the window the Dan McHale is THE MAN! He has built several for sheep hunters up here on the Inex platform. Mine is an InEx built +2" with side and back pockets and the top pouch lid. I love it! I also have the bayonet stays with them made from slightly thicker and stronger aluminum. I have hauled two complete goat rugs with the head still attached and a good chunk of the meat from them in the pack and while it was stupid heavy the pack is no worse for wear... Well aside from a goat horn that decided to pop through the side. Thankfully the dyneema panel pretty much fixed itself when I pulled it back out. I ran my thumbnail over it a few times and I would have to point out the spot to anyone who didn't know it was there.

The pack is huge but still cinched tight and carries like a daypack when lightly loaded. I rarely put on the side pockets and doubt I would even take them unless I was going solo and planning to pack out a sheep in one load. Even then with my latest round of smaller lighter gear I would probably have room to spare without them.

I like thick padded shoulder straps and an adjustable frame, as well as a meat shelf. As far as the pack goes, a rifle hanger, hydration bladder, and a spot to put my spotting scope and tripod are very nice. I like the internal shelf that keeps your gear seperate from you sleeping bag too. It comes in handy when packing meat. An attached rain fly was something I liked with my old cabelas pack. If I could get the barneys pack the fly attached I would have been all over that.

Also a pack that had a helium bladder to help lift weight off your back would be very nice....maybe that is something I should check into!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Having used the Barney's pack with the super plush pillow straps and fluffy hip belt. Frankly you can keep them. My pack now has fairly thin padding but fits perfect and is far more comfortable. The load being spread properly across the straps width is key. Some packs try to hide their poor design with lots of fluff!

I would say what you plan to mostly do with the pack would be something to really consider. I mean....will you use it mainly for sheep hunting? Or will you throw it in a raft and float a river with it? Will you just hike/camp with it. or are you only a moose hunter? For me there would be two main things that I would like to have. Strong external frame w/ meat shelf....BUT LIGHTWEIGHT...!!! ( I lifted just a plain pack frame the other day and it weighed a ton!!!) I still have an old Jansport pack that zipped open from the outside to be able to access the "bag" so to speak. So much easier to get to your gear rather than digging around in a deep bag. But you could cinch everything down real well too. Really like that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Having used the Barney's pack with the super plush pillow straps and fluffy hip belt. Frankly you can keep them.
    There is no way in hell that I would pay that kind of money for a pack. My old "Camp trails" Freighter frame w/ moose bag has literally carried out tons, and TONS of meat, and although it's beat to hell now, it's never let me down. Fairly cheap and great quality....imo.