Thread: HOPE, Alaska property assessments up 300%

Default HOPE, Alaska property assessments up 300%

I sure hope some of you got in on deep discounted "Kenai Peninsula" property sale 14 months ago.

Looks like all around Alaska it is going up...I have a cabin in Trapper Creek and got hit with a 100 percent increase on property assessment this past month...thought this state made enough in resources..now their tapping into our wallets even more..lol
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

The state? I don't think the state levies a personal property tax. Isn't that a borough/municipality thing? It certainly is in Anchorage/Eagle River.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    Looks like all around Alaska it is going up...I have a cabin in Trapper Creek and got hit with a 100 percent increase on property assessment this past month...thought this state made enough in resources..now their tapping into our wallets even more..lol
    It is NOT the state, but local governments.

Yeah, I hear ya..regardless, still crazy..That cabin has been there for 15 years. I called him and he said he actually went out there and looked at it..stated it was worth alot more than the original assessment and one of the nicer places he has seen in the area. I didnt care about how it looked to him...I wanted to know how it jumped 100 percent. He mentioned over the last 10 years they have done flyovers...and he actually walked out and took measurements etc. said I was stuck like chuck..lol not to mention this was just a walk around the outside..guess I'm glad he didnt get to see inside..

I am sure there are more in that area that got hit with it as well..and at least there is one guy working for the State that is actually doing his job right.
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Good news is the folks driving this stink wagon are easy to remove from office! Heck so few folks show up to vote the average guy with 10 or 20 buddies can swing the darn election any way they want... Remember this when those stupid bond issues hit next cycle. Yup, you guys are paying for road construction out by Pittman that leads from places where very few people live out to where even less people live! The killer is that the driving force behind it is the developers who build up little areas of their holdings every few miles. There is tons of land close to town but if they develops only 20% in one area then start further out when the borough taxes us and improves the roads to meet the perceived "need" the close in land (that used to be on the skirts of town) jumps way up in value!

Good point..should ask them when the projected job of paving Oilwell road is, sure they have a plan for this in the future..probably the rest of pettersville road as well..who knows. The money probably goes to to many different projects..but not the ones that are truely needed in the areas. Would like to see a breakdown of this. There has got to be something online that shows upcoming projects.

They did however build a new bridge at Moose Creek and Kroto Creek. pretty decent job as well.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Good news is the folks driving this stink wagon are easy to remove from office! Heck so few folks show up to vote the average guy with 10 or 20 buddies can swing the darn election any way they want... Remember this when those stupid bond issues hit next cycle. Yup, you guys are paying for road construction out by Pittman that leads from places where very few people live out to where even less people live! The killer is that the driving force behind it is the developers who build up little areas of their holdings every few miles. There is tons of land close to town but if they develops only 20% in one area then start further out when the borough taxes us and improves the roads to meet the perceived "need" the close in land (that used to be on the skirts of town) jumps way up in value!

Didn't Palin have a cabin in the Valley and they signed off under penalty that they made no improvements? One of the flyovers showed three or four cabins, out buildings, hot tub, but they never noted it as they submitted their tax bill every year. Ooops forgot. Wonder if it ever got corrected. What's fair is fair. If it were me, I would be charged with false statements. I also would get a tax penalty going back to the last assessment on what they saw.

What's fair is fair. As long as everyone gets assessed the same, and everyone pays, I sleep better.

I am sure there are more in that area that got hit with it as well..and at least there is one guy working for the State that is actually doing his job right.
    Dude, it's not the STATE, it's the Matanuska Susitna Burough.

As for the Palin thing. I've never yet met a person that has ever reported an improvement on their property. I also have never met anyone that has ever been penalized for not reporting. It was a big game in the Mat-Su before the "required" building permit. Build something and wait until the Borough came and found it. I know folks in my subdivision that went five years before the Borough discovered them. The only penalty was a much larger tax bill once they were figured out. I bet that less than 10% of folks required to get a building permit do so in the more rural areas of the Borough. I know I supply a bunch of them.

I don't know what it's like in the rest of the Borough, but most of the houses around me are only assessed at about 70% of what they have recently appraised for.

There is a number to contact to contest your assessment. It's worth your time to do so. The last time I contested my assessment on my business it saved me 30% off my original assessment. You may not have a leg to stand on though, since it's been 15 years since their last actual visit.

Want to really get boned ? Own a business with over $250,000 of inventory. After that mark you get socked with personal property tax on anything above that.

Even with that tax above the 250 you can thank your lucky stars that they do not still have the gross revenue tax. Remember that!!!!!

Doug..

I hear ya..in my ref to the STATE the MATSU Burough is just another arm of the State reaching out and grabbing what they can when they can...etc.

The ironic thing about the property is.. I am going to be doing alot of improvements to the property over the next two years....and will probably fall into that group that dont report it..lol. Guess..if I can get another 15 years out of them at this rate..might be worth not reporting it....who knows.

As for the business...within the next 3 years I will be opening up a business as well..so here goes...lol

Thanks for the insight.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Dude, it's not the STATE, it's the Matanuska Susitna Burough.

As for the Palin thing. I've never yet met a person that has ever reported an improvement on their property. I also have never met anyone that has ever been penalized for not reporting. It was a big game in the Mat-Su before the "required" building permit. Build something and wait until the Borough came and found it. I know folks in my subdivision that went five years before the Borough discovered them. The only penalty was a much larger tax bill once they were figured out. I bet that less than 10% of folks required to get a building permit do so in the more rural areas of the Borough. I know I supply a bunch of them.

I don't know what it's like in the rest of the Borough, but most of the houses around me are only assessed at about 70% of what they have recently appraised for.

There is a number to contact to contest your assessment. It's worth your time to do so. The last time I contested my assessment on my business it saved me 30% off my original assessment. You may not have a leg to stand on though, since it's been 15 years since their last actual visit.

Want to really get boned ? Own a business with over $250,000 of inventory. After that mark you get socked with personal property tax on anything above that.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    Even with that tax above the 250 you can thank your lucky stars that they do not still have the gross revenue tax. Remember that!!!!!
    Amen to that. I always laugh when government agencies ask me for a gov't discount. They are the last people I'm going to give a break to

The key is to use the term "Government pricing". Most of the time they just assume that the "special" price is cheaper.

Just wish I could sell $1000 hammers and not go to jail. I'd get that shop yet.

By building a small plywood shack my property value went from $11,000 to $64,000 in three years; borough won't plow the road, either. I talk to the plow contractor, he says he doesn't want to hear it.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Oops, sorry, it was already said more than once that the State generally doesn't assess real estate property taxes but the Borough does (I had the thread reading in reverse chronological order and I can't figure out how to delete a comment).
    Last edited by fairskies; 03-14-2012 at 16:05. Reason: duplicate

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Amen to that. I always laugh when government agencies ask me for a gov't discount. They are the last people I'm going to give a break to
    By giving the government a discount, it should be giving you a discount on your taxes. Note the operative word, "should". Just like corporations don't pay taxes (their customers do), governments don't pay anything, their citizens do.