Thread: Coyote Hides,...what're you doing with 'em ??

Default Coyote Hides,...what're you doing with 'em ??

I'm curious,..as I'm living/working for a while, pretty close to some good Coyote Country,...

What are these Coyote Hides all about, are they nice enough to put much effort into?

I read a lot about folks taking a lot of Coyotes for fun, and the Challenge looks real,...
    I Understand the need to thin them out at every opportunity,...

But they look really mangy to me, never hear about guys having a slew of Coyote Hides tanned up,...

So, what's the story, is Predator Hunting for Coyotes, all about game management,
    testing your calling/hunting skills, etc.?

Or "What are You guys doing with those hides,...should I go out try to get a few, and work them like Fox hides?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I would assume that it largely depends on whee you're at. The coyotes I've seen in California are pretty gnarly looking critters, but the one I took up here in the middle of winter has beautiful fur. It's just hanging from a hook in my family room, but I wouldn't hesitate to make something out of it. I would assume that this time of year in Washington wouldn't be the most prime fur, but I could be wrong.

Yeah, the Western Wa winter, isn't much for necessitating Fur

I was contemplating a drive over to the Eastern side, the Palouse region maybe,
    where I think they get a little more snow?

Sure seems like that wide open Wheat Country, or maybe the higher elevation area just descending the Cascades(?),
    would be worth a day or two of sitting stands

Sure wishin' I had my Foxpro tho,...seems that would be the trickster

Hope you guys enjoy the late /delayed spring,....heh heh,....Predator Hunting !!!
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I like thinning anything that is legal to hunt AND eats baby ducks/geese. Also, it's fun to get out and do some hunting this time of year. Hardly anyone out, and trying to hunt a hunter seems fun. I'm going to tan any I shoot, just haven't gotten any, yet. Gonna stay with it until bears start waking up, though.

I assume your in Washinton? call one in close and see if ya can see if the fur is good. i'd shoot one in washington just cause back on our farm in oregon they killed everything. but I would save the pelt if I could. even if ya cant sell it it would be cool to make a hat out of or what ever. I have alot of trophies that people wouldn't consider "cool" or what not. but I shot them, and I like the memory so I keep um around.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

There are some great furs coming out of WA this time of year. If you don't blow them up with to large of rifle they are selling for around $45 this year if they are put up correctly. Check out hunting-washington.com. Western pups are not worth your time but if you get over the cascades and up into the Okanagan country you can get into some really nice dogs this time of year. Down south into the Palouse the weather warms up quicker its muddy and that makes the hides a mess.

good luck!

So what does a nice coyote pelt bring in Alaska..........?

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    So what does a nice coyote pelt bring in Alaska..........?
    shot right after a long cold snap, handled right, case skinned, should be around 40- 50 bucks. how ever, coyote prices have been doing some crazy things, so any given week they might drop to 5 bucks or the might jump to 75.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

They make nice parky hood ruffs, mittens and hats. You can also use them as trim on mukluks.
    Now what ?

My first trapped and first shot. Both I will never part with, those were some hard earned skins.

Coyotes in AK are not a dime a dozen like they are in the states. If I was overrun with yote hides I'd give them to family, if I had so many I didn't know what to do with I'd send them to NAFA.

The coyotes of E. Washington and N Idaho make AK coyotes look a bit ugly. AK coyotes generally are woolly in comparison. When you get over into NW and N Central Montana you have some of the pretties yotes you will see when they are prime. I wish I had a good E Washington pelt and AK pelt to lay side by side and show you. Go hunt the buggers down there most of the farmers want them gone and you can make a few bucks on their hides while you are at it
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

I've got some for sale if anybody wants one. 2 tanned and 2 stretched and dried. make me an offer.