Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Traditional Archery Course 3/17-18, 2012

  1. #1

    Post Traditional Archery Course 3/17-18, 2012

    Rod Jenkins is an IBO world champion archer. He will be coming to Bear Paw in Wasilla to instruct a weekend course (9am-5pm) on traditional longbow and recurves. It is applicable to novice and experienced shooters who want to improve their proficiency. Would you please post the information on the forum? We have 5 slots available for this course. The course flyer is attached, but feel free to call me or Bart if you have questions. Thanks
    Keith Poorbaugh
    907-232-4260
    Attached Files Attached Files

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    Rod Jenkins is an IBO world champion archer. He will be coming to Bear Paw in Wasilla to instruct a weekend course (9am-5pm) on traditional longbow and recurves. It is applicable to novice and experienced shooters who want to improve their proficiency. Would you please post the information on the forum? We have 5 slots available for this course. The course flyer is attached, but feel free to call me or Bart if you have questions. Thanks
    Keith Poorbaugh
    907-232-4260
    Wow! This looks like a lot of fun. Pretty expensive though. I am definitely interested, but the price is a little steep. Thanks for letting us all know.

  3. #3

    Default

    Yes, the price is a little steep. But he is keeping the class to 12 participants and it is a full weekend. From what I've read of the course reviews, previous course participants credit this course with the ability to become an expert archer whether their interests lie in hunting or competition. I just don't want to travel 1600miles for a Haul rd hunt and come home empty handed due to a lack of skill. Never been interested in competition unless the prize was a case of beer and a can of those little smokies. But that's another matter

  4. #4
    Member slimm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    shoshone idaho
    Posts
    559

    Default

    I took this clinic a few years ago, with out a doubt it's worth every penny.
    Rod is a very cool and patient man, his program is simple but very efective, the great thing is he doesn't try to change things all around with your style, just a tweak here and there is all it takes.
    After two days in his clinic I was shooting the best groups ever and after a couple of months of shooting at home I was pounding the bulls eye like it owed me money.
    If you really want to improve your shooting skills, Rod will help get you there.

  5. #5

    Default

    Thanks for putting your experience forward about this course. It definitely showcases the value of this class when someone can give a positive word from experience with the instructor. Looking forward to honing my skills.
    Keith

    Quote Originally Posted by slimm View Post
    I took this clinic a few years ago, with out a doubt it's worth every penny.
    Rod is a very cool and patient man, his program is simple but very efective, the great thing is he doesn't try to change things all around with your style, just a tweak here and there is all it takes.
    After two days in his clinic I was shooting the best groups ever and after a couple of months of shooting at home I was pounding the bulls eye like it owed me money.
    If you really want to improve your shooting skills, Rod will help get you there.

  6. #6

    Default

    any more spots open? I'm considering the drive and getting the day off (gotta work firday night till 530am sat morning)

  7. #7
    Member slimm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    shoshone idaho
    Posts
    559

    Default

    For anybody interested in this clinic I highly recommend watching Rods video Masters of the Barebow vol.3
    The video outlines pretty much everything you can expect from the clinic.


    I struggled for years trying to become a better archer, I read Asbell's books and watched his videos, also read all of Kinny's work among many other instructional books and videos, but just never could make any consistent improvements.
    I was so frustrated that i was ready to give it up and buy a compound, then the opportunity to go to this clinic popped up I figured I would give it one last try cuz I really wanted to have the confidence to drop the string on some game and know i could make the shot.
    Long story short I am now having a blast shooting my bow's and love showing off my new skills as an archer.

  8. #8

    Default

    We still have a couple spots open. If you don't pre-register it's no big deal. We have enough confirmed registrations to make the course possible. Just give me or Bart a call and show up Sat morning at Bear Paw Archery with the course fee and your bow.
    Hope to see you there.
    Keith
    Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    any more spots open? I'm considering the drive and getting the day off (gotta work firday night till 530am sat morning)

  9. #9
    Member slimm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    shoshone idaho
    Posts
    559

    Default

    Well,, did anybody from the forum end up in the class?

  10. #10

    Default

    Yeah, it was a great class. Prior to the class, I bought the Masters of the Barebow video series. I didn't have time to watch them all before the class. I really enjoyed Rod's style of teaching and it helped me hone in on a few details. Still, when I went back and watched the videos (especially DVD 3) I found that the material was essentially the same. Even after the class and videos, I was not content with my shooting style. I continued searching and stumbled upon a manual by KiSik Lee, Inside the Archer (Total Archery) http://www.amazon.com/Inside-Archer-.../dp/098242650X
    It fits more into my neurosis about understanding every aspect of the shooting technique for archery. Rather than Rod's 7 steps, it breaks the shooting sequence into 27 separate areas and gives precise details from the most accurate stance to the best method for hooking the string. Rod is truly an old-school archer who is very skilled but much of his style is instinctive. It's difficult for some experts to explain how they stay so consistent. The Total Archery text has really helped me develop my own style of shooting and keep me on the target with confidence that I will hit where I am, as long as I stick to my shot sequence.

    Quote Originally Posted by slimm View Post
    Well,, did anybody from the forum end up in the class?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •