Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barnes TTSX for moose

Default Barnes TTSX for moose

For my moose hunt this September I am bringing my tikka t3 lite in .300wsm. I like shooting the Barnes ttsx 150 gr handloads for deer, black bear and elk. I had planned on loading Barnes 168 gr ttsx for the moose trip and was wondering what the geneal opinion was on these bullets for moose and if 168 gr is adequate. The largest Barnes I can load is 180 gr due to the 1 in 11 twist rate(according to Barnes). The TTSX is a solid copper bullet with a polymer tip.
    Thanks

The 168s will do the trick.

For that matter, so will the 150s.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

A 30-30 and core-lokts work great so you should not have a problem
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

You'll have no issue using the 168 TTSX, but you could just as easily use the 150.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

have had no problem using 165 grain accubonds out of a .308, so 168 TTSX from a winny mag will be more than adequate.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

My 300WSM has taken a dozen moose with 180 TSX......only tried 180s as they were first tried and shoot extremely well. Shooting through the lungs will pass through usually but I have three bullets recovered from neck shots on very big bulls.

The proposed bullet types and weights sound fine.

Your situation (and current regulations) may be different. ... but for what it's worth ... you may want to check the requirements for the airlines. In the past ... some airlines required the ammo to be in factory boxes ... and some required the ammo be locked up separately from the gun.

When dealing with handloads, I've sent them ahead of time to the destination location.

More recently, I've gone a different route and set the rifle up to use factory ammo that is available at the destination. On the destination end ... a friend or family member will go to the store and pick up a box or two of ammo well ahead of the trip (in case they sell out).

I've been up there several times with handloads (packed in factory boxes) and Alaska air never even looked at the ammo. It has to be packed separate from the guns but not locked.

Sounds like the 168 gr will do the trick!

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    have had no problem using 165 grain accubonds out of a .308, so 168 TTSX from a winny mag will be more than adequate.
    Ok then let me ask you.....Accubond or TTSX in 270 for goat? I guess the 140s in either are pretty popular......no?

Sorry for the hijack but i couldn't resist....

ditto on the 168, it will work just peachy. I have flown many a time with hand loads in factory boxes. I have never heard of there ever being a problem. I have had TSA give me several different stories on how to lock my gun case. I bring three locks now and have not had that problem for a while. Have fun finding a load that works and bring the most accurate one. You will kill 'em dead with any of the above TTSX bullets.

i use the 168 TTSX in 300 RUM, 308 win and my brothers 30-06.

Pick whatever weight/load your rifle likes best and load up a bunch. The moose won't know the difference. With modern monometal/controlled expansion bullets the old rules about bullet weight really no longer apply.

My .300WSM likes 180ABs and I shoot them at everything.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

168's will work fine, but I like the 180's out of my tikka.

Those will never work you need to buy a .375 H&H, Ruger, or the like and load it with 300gr TSX's. Moose are hard to kill and you should never use too small of a caliber.

hey let us know how your 300 wsm likes those 168 ttsx's. i am getting ready to get the same in my kimber, using RL 17. would have had my load already worked up, if i could ever find the time...

I've checked firearms and ammo to and from Arizona many times and have never had any issues. I have my rifle in a Pelican 1750 case and have my ammo (Barnes TTSX 150 or 168) in the factory box, in the rifle case also. My dad brought up his Savage Model 99 in .300 Savage this last fall for my wife. He hand loaded some TTSX's for it and he had them in Dillon hard plastic ammo cases in the same case as the rifle. Both methods are legal on Alaska Airlines I know for sure. Here is the excerpt from their policies page...

Ammunition—On Alaska Airlines flights 001-999 and flights 2000-2999, up to 50 lbs.(domestic) and 11 lbs. (international - where permitted) may be checked. Customers checking in or connecting to Alaska Airlines flights 3450-3499 are limited to 11 lbs. of ammunition. Ammunition must be securely packed in the original manufacturer's package or in a container designed for ammunition and of sufficient strength to protect it from accidental crushing or discharge (i.e. wood, fiber, plastic, or metal). The projectile must be no larger than 11/16" in diameter, the size of a dime. Ammunition may be checked with or separately from the firearm. Spent ammunition shells will be accepted in checked baggage provided they meet the same acceptance procedures as live ammunition (e.g. packed in a crush-proof case).

If not flying with Alaska Airlines, just find their policies page and read, and reread. Hope this clears that part of the thread up...

AZinAK

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Those will never work you need to buy a .375 H&H, Ruger, or the like and load it with 300gr TSX's. Moose are hard to kill and you should never use too small of a caliber.
    With a grizz charging at you and one bullet left in the .300wsm, I can tell you there was a moment there when I thought it was too small a caliber until that 180 barnes tsx hit it right in the head!

My TIka T3 in 300 Win Mag and My Wifes Model 70 Winchester Featherlight 30"06 have TKO'd Several Large Bulls wih he 180 grain TTSX.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Ok then let me ask you.....Accubond or TTSX in 270 for goat? I guess the 140s in either are pretty popular......no?

Sorry for the hijack but i couldn't resist....
    barnes for sure..270 is quick. ya need a bullet that will stay together. acc are good to, but barnes hold their weight and are great with quick rifles!

I double lunged a big elk with a 180 TTSX out of a 300wsm at 270yards and pushed his left lung almost all the way out of the exit wound. Needles to say no tracking needed. I have not had a single retained round so far so I cant validate the weight retention. But with an average exit wound the size of my fist I don't really care. I would not hesitate to use them on ANYTHING in the US.

Moose are easy to kill. I've shot two with a 308Win 150gr cup and core, one with a 270Win with 130gr Hornady, several with a 270 with 150gr Speer. Most shots were pass through. None got away and none had to be tracked. As Amigo Will said, the 30/30 with corelokts works so why wouldn't a 300wsm work with just about any bullet you choose? With a fast bullet, put it in the lungs and they won't go very far. With a slower bullet, put it through one or both shoulders and they will be laying right where they were standing. Put it in the right place and it won't matter whether it's the latest premium bullet or a round lead ball.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast