Thread: Downrigger Tutorials

Default Downrigger Tutorials

Anyone konw of a good tutorial on how to properly use downriggers? I ordered the Uni-Trolls on my new boat, but have never used downriggers. I'm looking forward to playing with them, but would like to avoid the noobie mistakes. Thanks,

SH

Default SH

Not a whole lot to it, you'll have it mastered in half a day. Biggest thing to watch is lowering your gear, don't let it get away from you and get going to fast, can tangle your gear/overspool your rigger and if you stop it too fast like that put unneccesary strain on your downrigger itself, especially if you're using 8-10 lb. balls.

Far as setting up your gear, not sure how much info you want, I rip off about 6 feet of line then lean the rod on the side of the boat next to me, pull your ball in and grab the release, I'd start your line halfway into your release and see how you like that, the salmon up here should have no problem taking it off the release, if you find you have to pop it off before fighting the fish loosen it or move the line closer to the front, anyway, now grab your line to your ball run it out into the water, then pick up the rod, open your bail with thumb on spool and with other hand as evenly and smoothly as possible lower your ball to whatever depth you feel lucky...

It's also very important your buddies/kids are watching, that way they can do it the rest of the time while you drive and drink beer....fish on!

luck

The comment there about driving and drinking beer just made MY beer come out my nose.... ugh!

The easiest tutorial for riggers I know of is to book a 1/2 day charter, or go out with a buddy who's been using them a while.

I know it's Canon's marketing slogan, but the best piece of advice I've been given is to think of using a downrigger as "controlled depth fishing." Imagine the d/r ball as a giant weight on your line. Drag anything you want on your fishing line behind the weight. Hoochies work well with a big flasher, spoons, spinners, flies, kwikfish, whole herring, strips...

I think the biggest problem I ran into was trying to do too much at once. Start with one line and one rigger. Master it. Try 2 lines on 2 riggers (if it's legal). Master it. Add another rigger, or start stacking 2 lines on 1 rigger... one line and step at a time.

Oh, it also might help to draw a semi-scale line drawing of your rigger lines, balls, fishing lines, etc. I have a top view and side view that I drew years ago that I show to all new deckhands so they can see how the lines spread out on my specific setup. 3 or 4 tangles out of 100s of trips each year is pretty good, IMO.

Each boat and every fishing setup is a bit different, so just start simple and learn your particular setup well.

Have fun!

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wait till you play around and learn how to use them to keep your halibut baits on the bottom during a rip roaring tide.
    Get the gaff ready!
    Tennessee

Scotty (brand downriggers) sells a book on how to use their downriggers. Same principal for other downriggers. I think that B&J in Anchorage used to sell the book. Maybe check Scotty's (ScottyUSA?) web site. Downriggers can be the best thing since sliced bread, or they can be a PITA.

Default Thanks!

Thanks for all the input. My preference is to go out with a buddy that knows his way around the equipment - learning happens much quicker when you can see and ask questions. Also, it's good to know the drunks you're fishing with.

New boat delivery day in 5 weeks .. . .let the play begin.

Again, thanks.

SH

Default Check out this link Sierra Hotel

I found the following tutorial quite helpful.

http://www.coastsidefishingclub.com/?q=node/4

Regards,

yhc