Thread: fight or flee

Default fight or flee

So reading the other pepper spray thread has brought up a guestion I have always had.First I do believe that lot of things need to be considered when shooting a brown or grizzly,like follow up shots..ect basically all the things you read in the books and hear in the seminars.with that said the areas I have most always hunted areas that were brush and alder ridden and the bears we hunted did not read those books or go to the seminars.We always pick our shots carefully but inevitably we more times then we would like have to go into the brush with a wounded or mortality wounded bear.So I have had this discussion with several guides and formed my opinions which have led me to be more patient.So my question is which bears do you think charge more: wounded or mortality wounded.No science here just good old fasioned opinions from experienced guides and bear hunters

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    So reading the other pepper spray thread has brought up a guestion I have always had.First I do believe that lot of things need to be considered when shooting a brown or grizzly,like follow up shots..ect basically all the things you read in the books and hear in the seminars.with that said the areas I have most always hunted areas that were brush and alder ridden and the bears we hunted did not read those books or go to the seminars.We always pick our shots carefully but inevitably we more times then we would like have to go into the brush with a wounded or mortality wounded bear.So I have had this discussion with several guides and formed my opinions which have led me to be more patient.So my question is which bears do you think charge more: wouunded or mortality wounded.No science here just good old fasioned opinions from experienced guides and bear hunters
    i'm not sure a small handfull of occasions constitutes as a load of experience...lol, but i'll die a happy man if i never had to kill another wounded bear...not only would that mean i was doing my job better, but it aint at all fun. all were mortally wounded, and i was successfull in killing them all. the number of shots ranged from two to six. the most immpressive was with an average sized sow that a bow hunter zipped...i made the mistake of being too visible at the shot as i readied for backup...she saw me and though she was allready stumbling badly at the minute our eyes met, she charged in a very healthy manner! she started at around forty yrds or so, and the first three shots hit her chest...with very little change in pace, besides falling once and immediately getting back up. i remember thinking i'd better brain or spine her with my last shot so i could reload, i managed to hit her where her neck meets at the shoulder and found spine....she took two more shots trying to get up. when i got her hide peeled, i could literally put my whole fist into the carnage in her chest cavity.

sure bears can be killed cleanly with very small guns if shot well while calm...however, when there adrenaline dumps...well that can be a totally different critter to kill.

another bear was found in the brush peering at me around a tree from above me on a hill...i broke his near shoulder and hit him again just a few feet from my barrel as he rolled by me allready limp with death...i coulda kicked him. bullet penetration was through and through lengthwise breaking shoulder, through vitals, breaking hip.

thats enough of that, theres been a couple more that had intentions of coming that i reacted quickly enough to change their mind....more importantly is the three i've lost...all were not mortal hits, all were my fault in hindsight, and all could have been avoided had i been in position to backup quicker, and in one of those instance with a muzzleloader i should have been in an upwind position just so i could see past the smoke in order to place a backup shot. an old guide here on the forum has given me considerable grief on this subject...the reason i bring it up here (as i'm rightfully very ashamed of it) is to emphasize the importance of the first shots placement...and just as importantly the subsequect shots following the first. i realize most guys here on the forum obviously arent guided. so get as close as possible, shoot for vitals accurately, and continue to do so until the bear stops moving. its a simple rule that will leave less bears in the brush and more rugged out on the living room wall.

Bear,
    I have enjoyed many black bear hunts across Canada and helped other hunters and guides go after quite a few for fun. I cannot think of one time that I was involved with, or even that I was told of, where a wounded black bear that was not mortally wounded hung around and attacked the hunters. There were a few mortally wounded ones that did.
    I think any animal that is mortally wounded will react much the same - I stuck an arrow into a buck deer once and about an hour later I faced him in a standing cornfield - he had a look in his eyes at about 6 feet that matched any bears I have seen and I was scared xxxxless! I Got another arrow in him and here he came - thankfully he was slowed by the stalks and the loss of blood but there was no doubt he wanted a piece of me...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I believe those hit the hardest and not killed guard their backtrail quicker.I think lightly wounded will give you a few more chances to leave him be but by the third alder patch watch out.I also believe in most cases where the bears charges at the shot its just poor judgement of direction to run
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

thanks for the input all,,it seems to be the concensus that its the dead ones that kill you(isnt that an old saying or something).I just always like the input from other experienced hunters. I have always had that experience as well, which had years ago convinced me to be more critical, as Zack has pointed out , about shot placement especially on the first shot. I have also become more patient,meaning if I know the critter is mortaly wounded I give him a little extra time to expire..

As ninefoot said, and I can't stress enough.....AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE is the key. I believe you have a waaaaaay better chance at killing a bear on the spot if you have good placement and are between 50 and 100 yards of the bear. Some may feel a bit uneasy at such close quarters, but to me, knowing what that 338 or 375 can do, I actually feel MORE confident at killing the bear than if there was more margin of error at a longer distance.

It's interesting what ninefoot also said...." sure bears can be killed cleanly with very small guns if shot well while calm...however, when there adrenaline dumps...well that can be a totally different critter to kill."

The cleanest most quiet kills I've ever seen on a 10ft brownie was by an arrow. The bear acted like a mosquito bit him, calmly swam across a small creek, wobbled to the left, to the right, and fell over. Never even made a noise. Now, every bullet kill I've been in on are accompanied by massive snarls, bawls and growls. The dead bear full of adrenalin is what will make your life miserable.

Oh....And to this day I still don't know how a bear can run quite well with two broken shoulders....???