Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Board approves Griz hunting from bait stands

Default Board approves Griz hunting from bait stands

In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Great news. This is a start. I'm going to give this a shot in May.

Now if they would expand it to include unit 20 and 16 that would be even better.
    BK

Good work by our AC and our area biologist to get this on the books again.

yeah, and if they really are serious then they should drop the "must be guided" rule for non-res.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

the thought of killing a grizzly/brown bear from a tree kinda goes against my grain, but i would truly like to hear about how this goes...the selection of bears harvested and any stories related to it. optimal selected harvest ought to be obtainable through baiting and the guys that have a knack for it sure ought to be able to pull some whopper boars....matt, and anybody else who'll be participating: good luck, and please let us know how it goes.

homerdave...baiting to my knowledge is a fairly expensive and even more-so time comsuming endeavor...do you think that if the non res requirement were lifted for this hunt many non res would come up and participate?

I dunno, but I think we may be going too far too fast here. The board also approved ten bait stations for guides in each guide use area, and I wonder how harvest levels will go. Guess we'll see how many guides use this to specifically go after grizz over bait, and what the harvest levels are. F&G says they will keep an eye on it.

I would be suprised if any truly hog grizzlies are taken this way. Just my opinion based on my field experiences with browns. Those big boars dont get those kind of skulls by being foolish.

Seems logical to allow for "incidental" harvest of a grizzly from a black bear bait. Baiting is not my cup of tea, but I can see the logic if there is no concern for the population numbers.

I would be less enamoured with the intentional baiting of Brown bears. That just seems like a pretty foolish precedent to set.

Accustoming brown bears to human provided food?

May be acceptable in truly "remote" areas, but I think the 1 mile rule ought to be revisited if the intent is to allow for the intentional baiting of browns. JMO...of course

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    The board also approved ten bait stations for guides in each guide use area, and I wonder how harvest levels will go. Guess we'll see how many guides use this to specifically go after grizz over bait, and what the harvest levels are.
    Whats next, guided high fence hunting at the Alaska Zoo. LOL.

I have a hard time getting my head around the logic of the kind of person that would come to Alaska and hire a guide so they can sit in a tree over a pile of bait with the sole purpose of shooting a brown bear. I hope the rug comes with a girl scout merit badge of some sort, lol.

Man this is awesome news, now if they would expand it to unit 16 it'd be even better. Good work!

So now I guess the 223 will become the perfect dangurous game round from twenty foot off the ground.This makes me sick and one more poke in the eye for the words adverage type hunter.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

It may provide an avenue for someone with dissabilities to fulfill a dream that could not do so otherwise, not everyone wanting to enjoy the outdoors has a choice sometimes.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Dang, the haters are already out! I think it is a good method for areas of IM or predator control areas. As for the other areas that were included, I think that may have been a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post

I have a hard time getting my head around the logic of the kind of person that would come to Alaska and hire a guide so they can sit in a tree over a pile of bait with the sole purpose of shooting a brown bear. I hope the rug comes with a girl scout merit badge of some sort, lol.

lol well said

While baiting griz/browns isn't for me I think it would be an effective tool on the Kenai Penninusla where browns are already accustom to humanan provided food. I believe they'd pull out some real hogs the first few years. Curious though why they would do this in an area where there is a better chance of incidental harvest rather than a place that needs it, like the Kenai Penninsula.

Default I forgot to mention there are meat and hide salvage requirements

After some discussion between BOG and F&G administrative staff, it was clarified that the board intended (as was passed for grizz baiting in one subunit) that for all subunits where the taking of grizzly over bait was legalized, the hide and meat would be required to be harvested.

At least that is how I understood it. I'll ask to confirm.

The only unit where this will be legal this year is the fall baiting season in 21D. The other subunits (12, 20E, 20C) won't come into effect til spring 2013.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post

I don't know...I don't have a problem with someone who wants to spend a bunch of money to come up here and kill a bear over bait, regardless of whether its a black or griz. To each his own I say. I have many friends who wonder what kind of idiot will go sit on a frozen lake all day trying to catch a fish. (I'm that idiot!)

Anyways, it's not my place to even care what kind of person wants to do these things...it really doesn't matter. People will do what they want to do, and as long as it's legal...se la vie.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Dang, the haters are already out! I think it is a good method for areas of IM or predator control areas. As for the other areas that were included, I think that may have been a stretch.
    Lets call it what it is ~ its predator control and has nothing to do with "hunting". For me its no more hunting than shooting wolves out of a helicopter. Both are probably needed, but neither should be considered as hunts.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I have a good friend in a wheelchair that has no trouble shooting brownies and up close also but then he is a hunter.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I don't know...I don't have a problem with someone who wants to spend a bunch of money to come up here and kill a bear over bait, regardless of whether its a black or griz. To each his own I say. I have many friends who wonder what kind of idiot will go sit on a frozen lake all day trying to catch a fish. (I'm that idiot!)

Anyways, it's not my place to even care what kind of person wants to do these things...it really doesn't matter. People will do what they want to do, and as long as it's legal...se la vie.
    Agree...I dont really care if they do it, I just don't understand it...and just to clarify, I dont have any major problems with the taking of brown bears over bait as a method of "predator control" or IM. It beats the pants off of state gunners in helicopters, sows with their hands in a bucket snare, or the "sterilize and relocate" mentality...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast