Thread: Need raft assessories

Default Need raft assessories

Does anyone know of a place where a guy can purchase assessories for
    a raft? I'm looking to buy new or used cargo platforms, cargo nets, drop bags, dry bags, cam straps, and oars for the raft I just bought. Please let
    me know if you have any good resources.

Thanks,
    Tod

You mean, other than Alaska Raft & Kayak? http://www.alaskaraftandkayak.com/

There are several people selling supplies out of their garage, but mostly that's special ordering boats. Jim King has a local warehouse for boats & suplies for his Alaska Series boats. I don't know what he's got on hand though. http://www.alaskaseries.com/

REI sells some boating supplies. http://www.rei.com/

So does Sportsman's Warehouse. http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/

NRS is the big dealer in Idaho that ships a bunch of stuff here. http://www.nrsweb.com/

you can get drop bags at down river equipment... don't think NRS carries that.

http://downriverequip.com/asp/prodty...pe=120&recor=6

I shop one of the two stores. Down River is my local shop but I like NRS stuff too and the customer service is top notch.

Default supplies

I agree with indy, www.nrsweb.com is super customer oriented and good prices, and my prefered place to shop. Decent enough delivery times too.

Alaska Raft and Kayak is also a good place to shop for gear and a nice bunch of folks if you need something faster than shipping takes (and I love to just go in and look for ideas for my rafts). But being in Fairbanks means I have to do most of my shopping online, or build myself, not much here to choose from.

Default more

Sorry should mention Sportsmans Wharehouse in Fairbanks (and in Anchortown I'm sure) has some of the smaller supplies you might need as well at decent prices; straps, bags, etc. Specialized stuff you'd probably be better off getting online.

Default drop bags and river equipment

Try http://www.tuffriverstuff.com/

Ray makes just about bomb proof gear, can recommend it as a satisified buyer.

Default Drop Bags

Most of my river accessories come from Northwest River Supplies or Cascade Outfitters. I have never seen a need for drop bags on Alaska trips, because we use dry bags instead. I like the portability of a regular dry bag- I can take it out of the boat without undoing straps, etc. There are only a handful of items (pump, repair kit, river rescue gear) that stay with the boat for the entire trip. The rest of it is in and out of the boat frequently.

Just my opinion on drop bags. Clearly there is a use for them, but you don't see them much up here.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Mike, your reasons for not using drop bags don't really make sense to their actual purpose. Drop bags stay in the raft the whole trip. It would be like undoing the cargo floors used on bucket boats every night in camp... or saying " I don't use a cargo floor because I prefer dry bags." Huh? They are ideally used for easy access and support for more difficult to secure things like coolers, multiple water containers ,groovers, big ammo boxes,dry boxes. They really shine on those things that need to be kept upright...like a groover/cooler/water jugs. Just throw them in, secure them accross the top. Done.

Default I stand corrected!

Quote Originally Posted by indyjones View Post
    Mike, your reasons for not using drop bags don't really make sense to their actual purpose. Drop bags stay in the raft the whole trip. It would be like undoing the cargo floors used on bucket boats every night in camp... or saying " I don't use a cargo floor because I prefer dry bags." Huh? They are ideally used for easy access and support for more difficult to secure things like coolers, multiple water containers ,groovers, big ammo boxes,dry boxes. They really shine on those things that need to be kept upright...like a groover/cooler/water jugs. Just throw them in, secure them accross the top. Done.
    Indy,

Thanks for the clarification. I looked in to them a bit and just don't see folks using them up here. Most of my experience is in Alaska, so perhaps that's the reason for my error. Your explanation makes sense, but they still seem like excess baggage to me. We are looking at some regulatory issues on some river systems now that require packing out of human waste though, so perhaps we'll need to look at the drop bags for groovers or other waste containers that have to remain upright. None of us is hauling much water either, except perhaps a small container that has been filtered. Lots of places to put that in the load without needing an extra bag, removable or not. As to the coolers, I either floor-load them on my cataraft floor, or suspend them with sling straps in my round boat. To each his own, but this is what has worked for me. Gotta keep that weight down on those flyout trips!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

I've never seen drop bags used in Alaska either. We had them on a Grand Canyon trip last year though, and they seemed to be good for that. But I doubt I would have any use for them here. Of course, I've never seen a groover used in Alaska either. I do sometimes take a full supply of water if I'm not overloaded with other stuff, and I suppose I could plop that in a drop bag.

Default Groovers, et al-

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    I've never seen drop bags used in Alaska either. We had them on a Grand Canyon trip last year though, and they seemed to be good for that. But I doubt I would have any use for them here. Of course, I've never seen a groover used in Alaska either. I do sometimes take a full supply of water if I'm not overloaded with other stuff, and I suppose I could plop that in a drop bag.
    Jim,

We may be seeing groovers sooner than we think. I spoke to a ranger involved with the Kisaralik (I can't remember for sure if it was the Kisaralik or another river) just a few weeks ago. The guy was working out of the office in Dillingham and he said that there are currently regulations in place requiring folks to pack out human waste out there. It seems that lots of folks are pooping near the river and downstream samples are starting to show contamination. He even said people have been carrying water out there too. I guess it's a glimpse of the future for us, whether we want it or not. I hate to see this happening to our rivers...

Have you seen this anywhere else in the state? I know there are other systems that receive a fair amount of pressure.

-Mike

Increasing regulations are bound to happen. I love to encourage others to join in the fun of rafting, I'm even fairly evangelistic about it, but as the sport grows there comes with it the need for regulations to manage the crowds.

I remember riding motorcycles and snow machines through what are now local Anchorage parks, and was incensed when told we could no longer do this (by that time I didn't even have a motorcycle, but I was incensed just the same.) But it had to be. As the population in Anchorage increased through the 60's, 70's and 80's all those wonderful frontier benifits were lost. We kept promoting increase and expansion, but the results cost us personal liberty.

In addition, of course, the regulatory agencies that we create have to create regulations in order to look busy protecting us from us. Expansion is the nature of government, and taxes are the fuel of its growth. -- OK, I'm getting too political here, so we need to get back on topic...

It's the same with rivers, just take a look at what's going on on the Kenai.

I have heard rumors of proposals for the same regulations on the Kongakut. If we want a pristine wilderness experience, and several hundred/thousand all want the same experience, we have to put up with the regulations that keep the place pristine. Just think of what the bottom of Grand Canyon would look like if the 20,000 annual boaters all pooped in cat holes. Packing it out is the only reasonable alternative, I suppose. Alaska's time will come. Perhaps sooner than I like to think.