Thread: Where to go around Big Lake?

Default Where to go around Big Lake?

My girlfriendand I are headed up around big lake this weekend to do some ridding. She needsthe trails, as she is not very experienced, and I want the powder. Nothing deepjust some open marshes. I have a place I can park right on the lake, but afterthat I'm not sure where to head.

Any advice would help and the more detailed the better.

Thanks,

There is an extensive trail system between Big Lake and willow. The folks that groom the trail have laminated maps for sale at most gas stations and the like. Well worth the money. Take your GPS and you will have a lot of fun. All the trails are well maintained and they cross many lakes and swamps (were you can boon dock if you want too). Have fun!
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Here's a link to the Big Lake trail map
    http://ridealaska.com/archive/wp-con...laketrails.pdf
    Boondocking & Bowls of Deep Fresh Powder !
    2002 RMK 700 144"
    2010 Summit 600 Etec 146"
    Weekends and Holidays Rule Mondays Usually SUCK

This map is more inclusive...

http://www.biglaketrails.org/Trails.html...

or...
    http://www.biglaketrails.org/images/...eParks2011.pdf

Hint...save the PDF to your hard drive...open the PDF in Photoshop...then save as Jpeg...then you can edit it with text and linework in Paint.

Have Fun...
    Natural Selection begins with you!

Thanks guys,Looks like we will get on the lake and then try Trail 1 Klondike Inn/Call ofthe Wild loop. Pretty nice maps. We'll bring a GPS but Iím assuming that therewill be enough people out this weekend that it will be hard to get too lost.
    Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by wingshooter12g View Post
    Thanks guys,Looks like we will get on the lake and then try Trail 1 Klondike Inn/Call ofthe Wild loop. Pretty nice maps. We'll bring a GPS but Iím assuming that therewill be enough people out this weekend that it will be hard to get too lost.
    Thanks again.
    If you're going to go off-trail, you may need that GPS. It's a big area, we were just out there last Saturday. We used a trail to access the first swamp we came to, then bounded from swamp to swamp using as few trails as possible. We never ran into another group until we were on our way back on just before we got to Big Lake, and only saw 2 other groups from a distance. By the time our gas was low half the group thought the truck was one way, half thought the other. The terrain out there all looks the same and it's easy to get to turned around, and with it being a big area you can't depend on running into other people for directions. Mark your parking location and be prepared to need to use the GPS.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

You can also get any PDF file on your iPhone. Use google to navigate to the file and when it goes to open you should see a popup that asks if you want to open the PDF in IBooks. Click to say yes and the file will open in IBooks and at the same time put a copy on your phone. Now you can open the map at anytime , you don't need a signal, and zoom in at any detail level and scroll all over. Works pretty cool I think. I also have all the maps from the statewide grooming pool that were mentioned in another post.

i take my wife to Luces, it great to have a place to warm up and have something to eat....

Quote Originally Posted by cabin goer View Post
    i take my wife to Luces, it great to have a place to warm up and have something to eat....
    How do you get to Luces? Thanks,

Hit the Big Su go up river... Left at Scary Tree then 10 or 12 miles past Scary Tree on the Yetna headed up river towards Skwetna. Right side, can't miss it.

Thanks. Forgive me as I haven't been out there but is there like some sort of sign or something that says Scary tree or am I just looking for a really scary tree? And what would be the best Big Lake trail to start at to access the Big Su for this trip?

Thanks again for the help.

Looking at the Big Lake trails map in this thread, take trial 11 to the Big Su. Once on the river head right or upriver for about 3 miles You will see a green sign marking Deshka Landing to the right or Pt Mackenzie back the way you just came. This is Scary Tree. On the Big Lake trailsmap, its right were the "A" on Susitna is. Stay left at this intersection. You will now be going upriver on the Yetna for about 8 miles and you will see Luces on your right. Lots of traffic on the river on the weekedn so ask anyone. Just remember the majority
    of the trails going upriver on your right will lead you back to Big Lake or Nancy Lake/Willow.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskan77 View Post
    Looking at the Big Lake trails map in this thread, take trial 11 to the Big Su. Once on the river head right or upriver for about 3 miles You will see a green sign marking Deshka Landing to the right or Pt Mackenzie back the way you just came. This is Scary Tree. On the Big Lake trailsmap, its right were the "A" on Susitna is. Stay left at this intersection. You will now be going upriver on the Yetna for about 8 miles and you will see Luces on your right. Lots of traffic on the river on the weekedn so ask anyone. Just remember the majority
    of the trails going upriver on your right will lead you back to Big Lake or Nancy Lake/Willow.
    Thanks man. I got it now.