Thread: Inflatable Registration Number and Decal

Default Inflatable Registration Number and Decal

What's the best method to affix registration numbers and decals.

I looked at inflatable's being used in Alaska on the Outdoor Channel and it looks like most spray paint the reg numbers using stencils.

Many didn't have the reg decal affixed. Do the decals fall off? Is it best just to keep them with the registration card?

Thanks in Advance!

When I did it, they said it was acceptable to put the reg decal on the transom. I just used a large black magic marker to put the AK # in the right places up on the bow. Tends to fade after a couple of years, but it's easy to go back over it again with the marker. Years ago (many) one of the marine supply houses sold a particular paint for crab buoys that worked great, but last time I went looking for it everyone tried to sell me an oversize magic marker.

They make good vinyl stickers (letters and #s) just for these such ocassionsl I got mine at West Marine as they had the style and color I wanted... They don't that much $ forem. More than a pen, damm... its your boat man!!! "fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    What's the best method to affix registration numbers and decals.

I looked at inflatable's being used in Alaska on the Outdoor Channel and it looks like most spray paint the reg numbers using stencils.

Many didn't have the reg decal affixed. Do the decals fall off? Is it best just to keep them with the registration card?

Thanks in Advance!
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

heck hire one of them semi truck pinstripers to lay it out nice.
    Semper Fi!

I use a sharpie...

the boat is 30 years old - she don't like fancy new stickers............

I put the decal in a arm badge holder and sealed that with my vac packer and strapped it to the ropes up on the bow.

I have been using a set these guys made for mine for years and they are still like new.

http://www.boatnumberplate.com/

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Looks like a quality product ~ so did you hit the local West Marine or have them sent up from outside?

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I have been using a set these guys made for mine for years and they are still like new.

http://www.boatnumberplate.com/

I'm with you on making it look good ~ plan on having this one around for a while. I'm having some vinyl lettering done right now so that's a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    They make good vinyl stickers (letters and #s) just for these such ocassionsl I got mine at West Marine as they had the style and color I wanted... They don't that much $ forem. More than a pen, damm... its your boat man!!! "fishon"

I've had these on my boat for several years now without any peeling problems. I bought the stickers at Walmart.

P8030164.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    Looks like a quality product ~ so did you hit the local West Marine or have them sent up from outside?
    I just ordered online and installed them myself. Inflate, deflate, winter or summer... no issues.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Default Boatnumberplate.com

Thanks to all for your valuable inputs. I went with the boatnumberplates as they had stuff on their sites product description like remove masking tape and then drink a "cold one" and something like "admire" and "show off to your friends..." They look like a real quality product and I think I will be happy with them.

The black paint pens at AIH work pretty darn good and last longer than the sharpie. They can be a little messy to apply if you have too much paint on the tip. They work very well on bouys.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorn View Post
    The black paint pens at AIH work pretty darn good and last longer than the sharpie. They can be a little messy to apply if you have too much paint on the tip. They work very well on bouys.
    That's good to know. I'm sick of remarking buoys every year. Same for the inflatable, come to think of it!

Some good advice about the AK numbers, but no mentions about the registration sticker.

I believe that non-motorized boats (canoes, paddle inflatables, etc.) receive a single registration decal, while motorized boats (including dinghies, if you register them as powered boats) get two. The regs says the decal is supposed to be on the bow, one on each side within such-and-such distance of the AK number.

I registered my Alaska Series inflatable as non-motorized, since it has oars and oarlocks and the 9.9-horse OB is only on it *sometimes*. DMV gave me one sticker (not two) so I put it on the inside of the transom. The AK number I put on both sides of the bow (used permanent, fat Marks-a-Lot pen from AIH). No troubles so far. If I ever get inspected out on the water, and learn I've done some durned thing wrong, I'll deal with it then.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorn View Post
    Good tip! I think I will give that a try instead of the "magnum 44" not so permanent marker I used last season. The registration number stuck just fine on my hypalon boat.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I mentioned it. I put my stickers in an arm mounted badge holder, then I sealed the edge with my vac packer. I hung these off of my ropes on the front.

I have only been checked once pulling pots by the falls at Whittier by the troopers. We were in the middle of a hand pull.They did not board. I held up my registration and shrimping permit (they never actually held it and looked at them). They asked if I had a fire extinguisher on board and flares. I said yes, but that I did not have to have them, they argued a bit and then said to be careful and left. I did not have my stickers on the boat, and told them that the stickers are in the dry box with my registration....they must have had other, more pressing, things to do.

Man! Aren't you the lucky one. I think there is a sign somewhere on my boat that says "pull me over and check me out". I get checked 3-4 times a year. I must have that "I'm doing some illegal %&$#" look or something... "fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I mentioned it. I put my stickers in an arm mounted badge holder, then I sealed the edge with my vac packer. I hung these off of my ropes on the front.

I have only been checked once pulling pots by the falls at Whittier by the troopers. We were in the middle of a hand pull.They did not board. I held up my registration and shrimping permit (they never actually held it and looked at them). They asked if I had a fire extinguisher on board and flares. I said yes, but that I did not have to have them, they argued a bit and then said to be careful and left. I did not have my stickers on the boat, and told them that the stickers are in the dry box with my registration....they must have had other, more pressing, things to do.

I think that they just feel sorry for us in our little dinghy!

I always have all of the required (+extra gear), though I keep meaning to get the coast guard check sticker and put it on my motor. Have to do that this year for sure. We did take the class 2 years ago. Good to keep all of the safety stuff right at the top of your head! The requirements for boats under 16' are less than bigger boats too.

Oh believe you me man. I got all that the law requires (+ extra gear as you say). And it usually doesn't last longer than 15 min. But the law just makes me nervious. It's a me thing I recon... "fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I think that they just feel sorry for us in our little dinghy!

I always have all of the required (+extra gear), though I keep meaning to get the coast guard check sticker and put it on my motor. Have to do that this year for sure. We did take the class 2 years ago. Good to keep all of the safety stuff right at the top of your head! The requirements for boats under 16' are less than bigger boats too.