Thread: General scope recommendation for 325WSM, all-around rifle

Default General scope recommendation for 325WSM, all-around rifle

I am undecided on which magnification range to choose for my new M70 Extreme Weather 325WSM. I am waffling back and forth between the 2-7x33 size and the 3-9x44 size. However I would consider something such as the 2-8x44 Zeiss Conquest. My use would be for relatively close range up to 300-400 yards maximum.

The price range is flexible, somewhere between $400 and $1,000 or so.

This would be for general use harvesting black bear, elk, etc. This will be for use in AK as well as British Columbia. Right now I live in California, but will be moving north to Vancouver Island or possibly Alaska fairly soon.

My other primary rifle is a Ruger Alaskan in 375 Ruger, which will be scoped with the new SWFA 1-6x24.
    Any recommendations welcomed. I have spent hours searching the archives, but still need help!

-Steve

I have that same rifle and have taken several animals with it. I have a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x44 MC with a Rapid Z 600 reticle. I also have Leupold 2-7x33 and the 3-9x44 on other rifles. The Zeiss gives me about 15 minutes more shooting time and the Leupolds are lighter, only an ounce or two difference in the Leupolds.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Stid,

I have been reading all your posts and looking at your photos! The weight difference would not matter to me, I was just concerned about the larger diameter bell being a problem. So, overall, the Zeiss would be your favorite?

I have been considering:
    Leupold VX-R in 2-7 or 3-9
    Trijicon 3-9x40
    Nightforce 2.5-10x32
    Zeiss Conquest 2-8x44

-Steve #2

I use a 2x7 leupold on my 325 wsm.

I'm using the Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x 42. Has worked well.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

The Zeiss Stid mentioned would be great with best in the industry eye relief. Another cool option would be the Z3 3-9x36 Swarovski.

I have the exact same gun. I have a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40. It is a great scope, not too big, collects a lot of light and will only set you back about 400-500 depending on the deal you find.

Quote Originally Posted by c1steve View Post
    Stid,

I have been reading all your posts and looking at your photos! The weight difference would not matter to me, I was just concerned about the larger diameter bell being a problem. So, overall, the Zeiss would be your favorite?

I have been considering:
    Leupold VX-R in 2-7 or 3-9
    Trijicon 3-9x40
    Nightforce 2.5-10x32
    Zeiss Conquest 2-8x44

-Steve #2

The Zeiss with the ranging reticle mounted on that 325wsm is a very accurate platform, With my hand loads, the rapid Z reticle and a range finder I'm accurate out to 500 yards. I own several Zeiss and Leopold scopes and side by side I can see longer looking through my Zeiss than I can my Leupolds. For my mountain Model 70 I use the Leupold 3x9x40 with CDS.

Steve
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    The Zeiss with the ranging reticle mounted on that 325wsm is a very accurate platform, With my hand loads, the rapid Z reticle and a range finder I'm accurate out to 500 yards. I own several Zeiss and Leopold scopes and side by side I can see longer looking through my Zeiss than I can my Leupolds. For my mountain Model 70 I use the Leupold 3x9x40 with CDS.

Steve
    What about lighting, ever wish you had a small, lit, red dot when aiming toward a dark background?
    I repeatedly hear good things about the glass in the Zeiss Conquest line, though.

What about lighting, ever wish you had a small, lit, red dot when aiming toward a dark background?
    I repeatedly hear good things about the glass in the Zeiss Conquest line, though.
    I have a illuminated reticle Swaro on my Sako bear rifle. I like it for up close stuff, but out far I find if I need a illuminated reticle to see to shoot, it is just too dark for several other reasons.

Steve
    Founding Member

Thanks for all the advise, everyone. I do have an additional question on the 325WSM for Steve. I am planning on replacing the barrel with a #3 Heavy Sporter from Bartlein, and will probably have it cut to 23". I noticed that you did something similar. Any thoughts on this plan?

-Steve #2

My Winchester EW 325wsm is bone stock and will shoot sub moa all day. I will just say that it sure is hard to get your money back on rifles after you alter them.

Steve
    Founding Member

Are you satisfied with the 24" length?

The etched glass reticle in the conquest scopes is very low light friendly. It has some unique properties that seem to allow it to stand out better against a wider variety of background colors. For the money they really are hard if not impossible to beat. I have 3 now and love them! The 3-9x40 conquest is a great scope at a very good price point. Only negatives are they tend to be a little heavier than a comparable leupy and they killed off the 2.5-8x32 which was my favorite in the line. Luckily I have 2 including what is likely one of the last few ever to roll out of the factory due to Doug scoring a limited run that Zeiss did using leftover parts months after they cancelled it. Another benefit to the Zeiss conquest is that the eye relief is constant across the zoom range. Sure helps to reduce scope creep and the ever popular scope brow that seems to accompany it!

Are you satisfied with the 24" length?

The barrel length has not been an issue and I love the velocity I get with the longer tube. I have taken several animals with it and have no complaints and it is my go to rifle for all except big coastal bears.

Founding Member

My 416 Rigby, 375 ultra mag, 338 win mag and 325 wsm... I run leupold vxII 2x7 on them. I'm a leupold guy another option these guys haven't thrown out is the vxII 2.5x8 leupold from what I read they are one of the lighter scopes on the market.