Thread: Unit 20 Antlerless

Default Unit 20 Antlerless

Looks like they have adjusted the antlerless hunts to include calves. About time that they put biology ahead of emotion on this one!

http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_s...ess-hunt-areas

Me I do not support shooting of calves, but oh well. What did the faibnaks ac expect? Sure they managed to get the hunt shut down early to prevent Bulls and pregneant cows from being shot. But now it is open season on the claves and cows ... I find it whats the word ironic LOL fairbanks AC screwed themsleves and should of left the hunt alone... But hey what can you do lol... if you are in fairbanks and you hear laughing it's me...

LuJon,
    They had calf hunt drawings in unit 20 about 10 years ago.
    Too bad they have been screwing around up there with the herd. It was an excellent place to hunt about 10-15 years ago.
    BK

Who has two thumbs, an antlerless tag, and no ethical qualms about shooting an adolescent moose? This guy!
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

A big moose fits into my freezer, a small moose fits into my freezer even easier.

I think most hunters have a aversion to shooting cows and calves, but I think AF&G has done their homework on this, here is a publication they have put out that has a lot of info, worth a read.......IMO

To my recollection is does not go into the details concerning the recent calve hunt, still good info.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/sp..._fall_2011.pdf
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

We've got two early season antlerless tags (August). Since we will be out together, if we see a cow with a calf, we will both be tagging out at the same time hopefully. I have no issues with taking a calf, and will do so if the law allows.

DM786, DM788, DM789, RM775 and RM785 have always allowed you to take a calf. And the new DM783 allows it. That article is about 20A specifically. Looks like they are just bringing 20A online with 20B.

I love veal
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Hope my comments at the BOG meeting had some impact to this decision. It's simple science. Before, we were only able to shot cows not accompanied by calves, which means yearling cows or dry cows (good to take out) or Cows that lost calves due to predation or what have you. The majority most likely being yearling cows that would be future producers. Taking calves that are likely to not make the winter anyway as study after survey has shown is less of an impact and is biologically the right thing to do....and they all taste the same.

They may all taste the same but the younger ones sure are tender.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Slowly, calf hunting has become more socially acceptable to some. IMO the BOG decision also considered the court case where a judge threw out a charge because there is no absolute way for a hunter to differentiate between a cow and a calf. I think the case was heard in Haines.

Popped a cow musk ox yesterday, opened her up and had a calf. That was a tough one for me to stomach. I've always been against taking a cow (okay for others, just bothered me to be the one). After this experience...won't be happening again.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Here is my dilemma with this. Has anyone shot a calf with it's mom? Do you think that mom is going to just run off and leave it alone? I am not arguing with the science part of it, but believe me, that cow is not going anywhere anytime quickly and you better have a set of balls to with stand her charging you many times over and over.