Thread: trout depth

Default trout depth

how deep do you guys fish for trout, kokanee and other such fish? I always just fish a foot or so off the bottom and usually catch fish, but never really thought about depth cause that where I've always done it. what do you guys do?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

i have caught them from 2 feet of water up to 100 ft. and those are rainbows
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

I like to fish near the bottom in less than 15'.
    I adjust to the fish as they appear on my electronics. I have caught them directly off the bottom to just under the ice and even have had them follow a jig into the ice hole right to the surface.
    Deeper than 15' in the lakes I fish and the fish dissappear or should I say never seem to appear.
    8'-12' is my favorite depth for Kokanees and rainbows.

BTW Any luck with the pike yet?
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I like to fish near the bottom in less than 15'.
    I adjust to the fish as they appear on my electronics. I have caught them directly off the bottom to just under the ice and even have had them follow a jig into the ice hole right to the surface.
    Deeper than 15' in the lakes I fish and the fish dissappear or should I say never seem to appear.
    8'-12' is my favorite depth for Kokanees and rainbows.

BTW Any luck with the pike yet?
    No, right after my grandpa left I went up to galena, then got fact 2 weeks ago, trying to catch up with stuff then yester day I had surgery, and in 2 or 3 weeks I start a new job. so pike will be out till this fall most likely, which is a bummer! Thanks for the stuff though!!
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I think some of its just random, depending on several variables including pressure, depth, temp, bait, presentation, moon phase, seasonal changes and so on...I have tried to apply a scientific theroy to it all, underwater camera, location, structure...and I find myself still without a fish on some days?? haha

In the lakes I fish for rainbows, I have had my best success in less than 5 feet of water with bait dead sticking within inches of the bottom. For me fishing success seems to decrease in extreme cold days and when the pressure is high. I find myself with the most confidence at catching a brute fishing shallow depths of the bottom for sure.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Great question FFG. In my opinion, having a basic understanding of lake ecology goes a long way when ice fishing. A lake is divided into several zones of productivity. The first and most productive zone is called the littoral zone, which is the area surrounding the shoreline from 0 down to about 15-20 ft (basically the depth to which sunlight can reach). The reason why this is such a productive zone, is because that is where the majority of aquatic plants are found, so that is where all the insects (food) is going to be found. The other area in the lake which is also somewhat productive, is the limnetic zone, which is all the rest of the lake from 0 to 15-20 ft depth. It is not as productive, because there is not as much food and cover, but it can also be productive if there is adequate algae, zooplankton etc. to support the food chain. The area of the lake that is usually the most unproductive is usually the deepest part of the lake. That is because usually this part of the lake is lacks the availability of food, and it is usually high in carbon dioxide and low in dissolved oxygen. Also, the high levels of carbon dioxide change the pH of the lake to acidic levels. Now, there are always exceptions to the rule as Jedi suggests. For example some deep, clear, cold lakes usually have a higher dissolved oxygen concentration than shallower lakes, so some species of fish like lake trout, whitefish, burbot etc. can live and even thrive at deeper depths. But generally speaking, I would say for most species of fish, the most productive is shallow. Especially for species like rainbows and landlocked salmon. At least that is what I have found. Hope this helps.

thanks all, I usually just fish 30-70 yards off shore, never put much thought into it.

Ya know when I posted this question I posted it asking how far off the bottom do you fish, but had a brain fart, and I think this was more help full! reps all around!

Whether fishing in CO, WY, ID, WA or here in AK, I've found the most active rainbow fishing in shallow water directly over weeds. Shallow for me is 10 feet or less. I've lost count of the times I've had good days in shallow water just to talk to guys who did poorly fishing deep the same day. The bows will head to where their food sources are.

i jig 2 in off the bottom and then go up from there 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and then 8 and i always catch lots of rainbows and some lakers it really stirs them up they hit really hard.