Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 smaller barrels vs. 1- 55 gallon drum

Default 2 smaller barrels vs. 1- 55 gallon drum

So last year me and my partner tried bear baiting for the first time. We had a lot of fun but did not harvest a bear.
    Mostly we were plauged by the over abundence of Brown bears that we have down here on the Kenai Peninsula.
    We did have a few small blackies come in to our baits while we were away. Most of the time when the blackies showed up the brownies had already eaten all or almost all of our bait. I did get some good game cam pictures though.
    We had a single 55 gallon drum with a 4.5" RTJ ring ( a smooth sided stainless ring used in high pressure pipe flanges)welded in for the bait hole and a lever lock ring and lid with pipe pieces welded on and chained to a single tree.
    Well those brownies broke several turnbuckles and even pushed so hard they poped the ring and lid off a couple of times.They always seemed to find a way to get the bait out.
    This year we are thinking of going with a similiar setup but using 2-30 gallon drums instead of 1 single 55 gallon.Again we would weld in an RTJ ring in each drum as well as pipe pieces for the chain to go through.
    We would ideally like to find a double tree where two trunks form from one stump. Then we would chain both barrels back to back so to speak to these trees. We plan to use ratcheting chain binders like truckers use to secure them to the trees with pipe welded to each drum for the chain to go through.
    This would be a lot easier for us to get in and out as well as hopefully working better overall. We may try different baits in each drum.
    We also plan to get a different site to try this year.
    What are your thoughts on using 2 smaller drums like this? Pros? Cons?
    I have thought about the beer keg idea but we don't drink and the drums would probably be easier to acquire.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I don't know how your access is, so will only talk about the drums once they are on site. For a long time I thought 2 drums would be better because I'd have twice the food. I think that is a bit off, as multiple drums allow multiple bears to feed at the same time. Sure, you might get a grizzly on one, and a black on the other, but what happens if all you do is feed multiple grizzlies?
    Bears will wait, often patiently, for the bear in front to finish eating and move off. Sometimes they do get antsy and run them off. But only one gets to eat at a time.
    I'd tend to stay w/ one drum w/ a small feed port.
    ARR

Well I have always used a single barrel with a small opening as well, but I agree with ARR.2 barrels will double your chances. I would say instead of putting them on the same tree, I would put them on separate trees. This would make it better for smaller bears to feed at the same time. If you get a big bear feeding or a grizzly and a smaller/black wants to come in, with them farther apart (like 10') it would allow them to do so and not stop. Also unless you know there are no black's in your current location, dont move it. It takes a while to establish a stand. 1 year is not long enough to get bears to keep coming. The last little piece of advice I can give you is this, try and wait till the 1st or second week of may to put out your bait. This might help with your grizzly problem. I have never hunted down there, so I might be way wrong. Anyway, enjoy! Baiting is one of my favorite ways to hunt.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

Being we bait on the wildlife refuge it is walk in only. Minimum of 1/4 mile but most likely 1/2 mile like we had last year.
    We do intend to try a different area this year hopefully one with less brownies.
    My hunting buddy is disabled and I work a 2x2 on the slope so I was hoping that 2 smaller barrels would hold enough bait to last if it didn't get filled as often as I would like while I am away.
    It seems easy in ones mind to move an empty 55 gallon drum.
    In reality getting one in and out of the woods can be a real pain. Hopefully smaller drums will be easier even if it requires an extra trip or so.

Personally, I'd stick with 1 drum and use poly instead of steel. I've used both, and now only use poly. Cut holes big enough to pass a chain through on each end and a small hole (6" or less). The smaller hole will keep them from emptying it out too fast, and the poly drum is a lot easier to haul in on foot than a steel one.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by walk-in View Post
    Personally, I'd stick with 1 drum and use poly instead of steel. I've used both, and now only use poly. Cut holes big enough to pass a chain through on each end and a small hole (6" or less). The smaller hole will keep them from emptying it out too fast, and the poly drum is a lot easier to haul in on foot than a steel one.
    Will a poly drum hold up to brown bears? The way they dented and dinged our steel drum last year I am concerned a plain poly drum might bear the same fate. (sorry for the pun)
    How would a guy Brown bear proof the fill hole on the drum?
    The way they popped the ring and lid on my metal drum last year I have my reservations that I could make a hinged fill hole hold up.

I feel you kasilofchrisn, I too bait on the KP and am going to change my barrel set-up this year. I've always chained the barrel up loose to the tree so the bears could work the barrel, and used small holes "to keep the brown bear away." Well after last year I found the small holes in the barrel theory of keeping brown bears away doesn't work, and it looked like a D8 cat went thru my bait site by the end of the year.

I'm planning on chaining the barrel up tight to the tree and cutting one hole up top for refilling and cutting a small 4 or 5 inch hole on the side so the only way they can get food is if their paws are small enough to reach in. So if I read your posts correct you run a piece of pipe thru your barrel and use that to chain to the tree? Because that sounds like a good idea to me. You are also saying that the way brownies rip on the barrel, a tough chain binder is needed over turnbuckles?

If you want to use two barrels to store extra bait that sounds like a good idea. Don't plan on double barrels allowing two bears to feed at the same time unless you want a large boar and sow brown bear to feed together. From what I can tell on trail cam pics once the brown bear come around the blacks disappear because they know if they don't they are likely to become food themselves. It's a bummer because there are lot's of blacks to be baited on the Kenai, but the main trouble is keeping the brown bear away so the blacks can get on the bait.

I use the poly drums, heavy duty ones, the plastic is like 1/4 inch thick, the kind without a lid that comes off. I put a hole in each end( use one of the bungs) run a choker cable through the holes, around a tree and padlock. Barrel sits on the ground horizontal. I put a 4-5 inch hole in the middle of the barrel, to fill I just rotate the hole to the top and pour in the bait. Lots of bite marks in the drum but they have never ruined one.

I make cubbies out of spruce poles weave them all together good and throw your pastries clear at the back and make them work for their food, they will hang around a long time pulling sweets outa the back inside corner of it. And if you trap fur it will give you somewhere for a cat/wolverne cubbie set too with smells of critters around it to boot. Why drag a barrel in and out of the woods when you don't have to. Oh yeah I add a big log right in the middle of the opening that will give you an idea how big the bear is that hit's it a little bear won't move it that far but a gorilla bear will shove it clear out of his way
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by 33outdoorsman View Post
    I feel you kasilofchrisn, I too bait on the KP and am going to change my barrel set-up this year. I've always chained the barrel up loose to the tree so the bears could work the barrel, and used small holes "to keep the brown bear away." Well after last year I found the small holes in the barrel theory of keeping brown bears away doesn't work, and it looked like a D8 cat went thru my bait site by the end of the year.

I'm planning on chaining the barrel up tight to the tree and cutting one hole up top for refilling and cutting a small 4 or 5 inch hole on the side so the only way they can get food is if their paws are small enough to reach in. So if I read your posts correct you run a piece of pipe thru your barrel and use that to chain to the tree? Because that sounds like a good idea to me. You are also saying that the way brownies rip on the barrel, a tough chain binder is needed over turnbuckles?

If you want to use two barrels to store extra bait that sounds like a good idea. Don't plan on double barrels allowing two bears to feed at the same time unless you want a large boar and sow brown bear to feed together. From what I can tell on trail cam pics once the brown bear come around the blacks disappear because they know if they don't they are likely to become food themselves. It's a bummer because there are lot's of blacks to be baited on the Kenai, but the main trouble is keeping the brown bear away so the blacks can get on the bait.
    The chain is just some 6" long or so pieces just big enough for the chain welded to the outside of the drum witch the chain runs through.
    I wasn't intending on having 2 bears feeding at once. 2 smaller barrels seem like they would be easier to pack than one big one and provide just as much if not slightly more bait.
    I started out buying turnbuckles from Trustworthy just the run of the mill cheapos. Well with enough force the hooks and eyelets unbend. We also had one where the main body of the turnbuckle got bent to the same radius as the tree. These were Aluminum bodied turnbuckles cut from aluminum square tubing and not the cast ones and they had metal hooks and eyes. once the turnbuckles were loose they just shook the bait out of the hole.
    I had 2 cameras set up a close one and a far one at different angles and got some good pics.

Ironartist although your cubby probably works good for you,but, if my new site is plauged with anywhere near the kind of brownies I had last season it wouldn't last 1 day.The cubby or the bait.
    I am hoping to come up with a sysytem that the brownies have trouble getting bait from. Hopefully if it is hard enough they will move on. I will have a different site this year so that should help as well. I have talked to some more people this season with local knowledge and will hopefully have a better game plan this season. Oh and bag a nice Blackie.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

I don't have alot of experience baiting but im using two barrels this year. One 55 with a 5" hole in the side middle, barrel will be lashed to a tree upright tight and held in place with 3/8 cable and crosby clamps. Ill use a pipe to run the cable through and im filling it with kool aide sprinkled popcorn. The other barrel is small and has a top feed hole in the side. Planning on keeping this filled with about a 5home gall buckets worth of oats mixed with maple syrup or molasses. Gonna try to get a bait ball hangin and use grease mats, honey burns too. Hopin to visit daily when the bears start hittin and maybe try and get them timed by reducing the amount of bait so there eager for there "daily" supply of food at a certain time of the day. No real reason for two barrels besides more variety and quantity of bait although they will be fastened to different trees.

My personal feeling is, everyone has there own way of doing things. I know both kinds of people. Those who use barrels and those who don't. Both have been successful. Its all in what works for where you are baiting. I use ratchet straps to hold my barrels, which I was told won't work. I use popcorn, which I was told doesn't work. Both of which did! I am a big believer in trial and error. You won't know if something works unless you try it. I love baiting, its fun and enjoyable. I hope you can figure out what to use so you to can be successful.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

I use nothing but sweets, breads, doughnuts, frostings and I have yet to hold a brownie on my bait, infact in a half dozen years at this location I never had one brownie come in while I was in my treefort
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I had a poly drum tore clear in half. Now I cut a piece about one foot wide out of the length of a barrel turn it inside out and re weld it to the barrel so it makes a great place to put the tree and fits tight After its chained. Everyone has there own opinion and I have come to find out every bear is different also. An old timer told me once that chainsaw bar oil blackies love and browns hate so I tried it once and got about five hundred pictures of a big brown near eating all of it then about another two hundred of it with diarea all over the sight. So just try everything once and stick with what produces. I baited on the peninsula last year and was over run by browns that absolutely flattened a barrel. I think that a guy just needs some reinforcing and keep at it. Good luck to all.

We used mostly a sweet cherry coated popcorn but also some dogfood and cob both with some added molases. The brownies ate it all sweet stuff included.
    I even had a brownie lick the molases I had poured on top and around the feed hole of my drum.

I use a large KEG with two Large chains tightened very tight with turnbuckles. No hooks, use only twist lock links to connect the chains and turnbuckles. I run the top one around the handles so the top is clear as I made a little hinged flip top lid for filling. On the bottom I found links (and a little drilling) that allows me to secure the chain at the bottom as well.

The whole system gets tightened and then I jump up and down on it. I tighten it again. I also tighten it after any brownies have tried batting it around. It seems to hold up.

I cut a 5 inch hole but it only keeps the big brownies out. I have had little brownies getting food out and mom sitting there cleaning up the stuff baby is pulling out.

I too am moving out of unit 7. Brown Bear CRAZY down there. We should start a brown bear unit 7 picture thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    I use nothing but sweets, breads, doughnuts, frostings and I have yet to hold a brownie on my bait, infact in a half dozen years at this location I never had one brownie come in while I was in my treefort
    I have had similar results as that in Kenai..same baits,they would come in but usually pass through and almost never seen the same brownie twice in the season...no barrel either

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    I have had similar results as that in Kenai..same baits,they would come in but usually pass through and almost never seen the same brownie twice in the season...no barrel either
    I use popcorn covered in pancake syrup and tossed with confectioners sugar and koolaid. I have been overrun with brown bears the past two years. They eat as much as they can get their hands on.

Quote Originally Posted by AKF View Post
    I use popcorn covered in pancake syrup and tossed with confectioners sugar and koolaid. I have been overrun with brown bears the past two years. They eat as much as they can get their hands on.
    hmmm I was gonna try some popcorn this year...maybe not now...lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast