Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: article on guns as bear protection

Default article on guns as bear protection

Yep, this line sure is spot on ~ "It really isn't about the kind of gun you carry. It's about how you carry yourself"

and this one ~ "Guns are great, but for a gun to be great you have to be very, very good. No one ever practices on a 500-pound animal charging at you through the brush at 10 meters. They practice on paper targets," he added. "That's a big, big difference from being in the moment of stress."

http://www.adn.com/2012/03/07/235680...atistical.html
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Although I agree with what we said I dont think its gonning to keep me from carrying my gun no matter how good I am with one

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk .44 View Post
    Although I agree with what we said I dont think its gonning to keep me from carrying my gun no matter how good I am with one
    I agree 100%. I never go in the woods without a pea shooter ~ But I've been thinking about adding a small bear spray to my pack for a while.

I have heard before that bear spray only works in certain situations where the bears were more startled or something along those lines.Me I would rather not chance it lead works in all situations....

When my wife and I go on extended backpacking trips, I'll carry the 329 DA(double action )PD and she's got the UDAP. Best of both worlds.

What I don't see in those numbers are the amount of DLP bears killed every year. Obviously it was killed in defense of life or property and no one was hurt, but yet there are NONE of those statistics in there, which would be very easy to get from the State of Alaska. Also, no discussion about those statistics on how many were folks going in after wounded bears they were hunting. Obviously you don't go into the alders looking for a bear you just sprayed with bear spray.

Terrible study that said what the author wanted it to say.

-TJ

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    I have heard before that bear spray only works in certain situations where the bears were more startled or something along those lines.Me I would rather not chance it lead works in all situations....
    The point is that you gotta be good with the lead for the lead to work.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    The point is that you gotta be good with the lead for the lead to work.

No argument there....been there just with a rifle not a pistol

edit: i also do believe peper spray is a great tool just not for me...

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    No argument there....been there just with a rifle not a pistol

edit: i also do believe peper spray is a great tool just not for me...
    Agreed. Can't go wrong with both, especially when your kids are with you, which is where I'm usually at now when I'm in the woods.

Yep and lead wont fly back in your face if the wind is blowing.

Another thing too is that 151 people may have been mauled but the gun most likely saved their life.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk .44 View Post
    I'm 100% with you on that.

Seems to me you dont need the gun for bear protection. but liberal's conducting one sided BS studies in an atempt to build there case against anti gun laws.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Agreed. Can't go wrong with both, especially when your kids are with you, which is where I'm usually at now when I'm in the woods.
    Hey Tlingit, you have a real good point there that I overlooked as I usually hunt with adults(my son is only 2). Your right it is a real good idea when it come to kids..

[QUOTE=tlingitwarrior;1091360]Yep, this line sure is spot on ~ "It really isn't about the kind of gun you carry. It's about how you carry yourself"

EXACTLY. the fact that I can carry myself in a more confidant manner is the reason for the 44 I carry.

This is a quote directly from the published study:

"Success rates by firearm type were similar with 84% of handgun users (31 of 37) and 76% of long gun users (134 of 176) successfully defending themselves from aggressive bears
    . When we compared outcomes for people who used their firearm in an aggressive bear encounter (n = 229) to those who had firearms but did not use them (n = 40), we found no difference in the outcome
    , whether the outcome was no injury, injury, or fatality. However, we found a difference in the outcome for bears with regard to firearm use: 172 bears died when people used their firearms, whereas no bears were killed when firearms were not used."

That last sentence though....really? According to this, kinda seems that firearms have saved more people than not. It's actually a pretty cool study that doesn't seem to have an agenda (unlike the news articles about it). The study does mention about DLP data and goes into plenty of detail that is too lengthy to mention here, and wasn't included in the news article.

I'm with most of you...I don't care what a study or news article says, better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Finally!

Tom Smith, et al's, first stab at this data set back in 2003 and 2004 only included the data "was a gun present" and did not consider "was a gun used" during an attack. Resulting in misleading conclusions.

The first report using only "was a gun present" showed that guns were useless in bear attacks. Now with the data corrected it shows that guns are not useless and that pistols are more useful than long arms.

I've used bear spray on three different encounters. Worked all three times.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I take bear spray when I'm out hiking and fishing because its light and I feel pretty comfortable around bears (I know to keep a safe distance and get out of their way) but when I'm hunting in bear country (Admiralty Island deer) I carry a much heavier gun then I need because of bears.

I found it interesting in that pistols were more effective then long guns? I can understand if you were comparing it against my .338 bolt action with a scope but if I had my 12 ga. pump with slugs I think that would be more effective then a pistol. just a thought though

I've seen pepper spay fail many times with perps that don't want to be cuffed and believe the bear results would be the same if they really want trouble.I also believe pepper spay works most every time on people and bears not looking for a fight.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast