Thread: Halibut Charter

Default Halibut Charter

I usually fish for halibut out of Homer in a dangerously small boat (18ft) with two old-timers who could care less if they die at sea. We always pay close attention to the tide spread and the weather report.
    I have been invited to join a small group of friends chartering a boat out of Deep Creek for halibut fishing in mid-May. The tide charts are not favorable for that time-frame. Should I be concerned about our chances of catching fish? I know my chances of survival are better but I've never experienced being skunked fishing for halibut so I don't want this to be the first. Thanks for any feedback.

Anchorage, Alaska, United States

No you shouldn't worry. If it's a bad tide most likely you will drift until you hit slack tide. I fish last year on some really fast tides and did really good. Once I hit slack tide the bite turned even hotter.
    Down side you will use more weight. And if you anchor on a ripping tide expect to throw 4 pound weight to the bottom. Drifting you can get away with 3 pound and maybe 2 if your lucky.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Charterboat Operator
    Anchorage AK.

Default tides

as AK Gray has said, just because there is an extreme negative tide does not mean you will catch no fish. I have found that the only thing that decreases is the hours of fishing time you have to sit on anchor. the bite is generally fast and furious when there is a higher swing.
    Great part about that is you should be able to talk your captain into some pretty hot king fishing at that time of year in on the beaches.
    Don't sweat the catching thing and go have fun.

Thumbs up Agreed

I agree with both posts. The 3 largest fish we have taken have all come on "small-fish" days. (For those of you who don't know what I am referring to, open up a tide book. On days when the tidal change is greater, there is usually a 'small-fish'.)

True, it can be tougher to keep your bait down (meaning you have to use more weight), but once slack hits, the action is usually fast and furious.

-- Gambler

I fish at least three times a week, regardless of what the tides are doing. I too, (for 16 yrs now) fish from an 18' boat, approximately 20 miles offshore out of Homer. The rate of success for my boat is very high, though I have to pay attention to the weather, if it gets too bad, I head for cover.

Thanks so much for your insight. Definitely plan to head out on the charter. Great to know that I'm not the only one venturing out of Homer in a small boat. However, you just ruined one of my main reasons that I use to convince my wife that I need a new boat. Thanks alot!~! Take care