Thread: Kodiak

Default Kodiak

I drew a bear and a goat on Kodiak this year. I'm looking to do a sea duck hunt while we're down there for a day or two. All of the guides are saying a 4-5 day hunt. We only want to hunt one morning, maybe 2 depending on the bear hunt. Anyone have any suggestions for who to contact to try to shoot some sea ducks for a morning or two?

What part of Kodiak?

Depending on where your area is you can hunt from shore and pass shoot if there are birds around. If you are hunting along the coast you can bring a small zodiac and zip around to find both the bear and the birds.

If you are in the Zachar Bay area you just need to rent a boat from them and do what you want, or have one of them take you out and drop you off at a spot they know produces birds.

We're taking an air charter into where we'll be bear hunting and gear/weight is limited. The air charter has agreed to keep some of our gear back at their place since it's two hunts rolled into 1. They're going to store the meat from the goat hunt (if I'm successful) and any gear we won't need on the bear hunt. I'd considered trying to hunt ducks from the bear unit, but I really want to focus on the bear hunt and not really have to worry about bringing extra gear. Plus, I know me - If I have a shotgun and see some sea ducks flying around, I may not even go after the bear!! I have one day between when the charter is scheduled to pick us up and when we're supposed to leave the island and come back up here. Ideally, weather isn't an issue (yeah right) and we're on time. If we are, we wanted to try to shoot some ducks that day. If we tag out early and get picked up early, it'd free up some more days and allow for more flexibility.