Thread: Handlining setup

Default Handlining setup

Been thinking about handlining more and more lately for everything from kings to halibut. Picked up some seriously heavy braided Tuna line that's basically seine twine. Also picked up some seriously heavy 3-way swivels. Thinking about dropping a ball (maybe with a spider backbouncing rig) under the swivel and then running bait back off of a leader from the 3-way for a herring or whatever the case may be and the Tuna line above probably with gloves in case of anything big.

Maybe I've seen "the Old Man and the Sea" too many times or "Captains Courageous" (leetle feesh), but it sounds like more fun to me than a rod and reel at present.

I know many people hand line from kayaks, so I posted this here. Ideas, thoughts, suggestions?

The only real concern I see is getting a big halibut on and having to tie it off till it tires or breaks off.

For what it's worth I don't have a kayak anymore so this is a skiff plan for me.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

So, I've been looking into this idea lately as well. I've not yet done it. In case you haven't seen this site yet, www.waaycool.com sells handline set-ups. Maybe most useful, though, they have illustrations of how they tie-off the beginnings of the line and use shock absorbers. They also give ideas of the main lines/leaders they have with their various set-ups.

It looks really interesting. My interest comes from an upcoming trip where I may want to be able to fish without near the equipment load of a traditional setup.

Travis

Nice link. Thanks!

What's the "Spider Backbouncing Rig," idea about ?

I'm curious, got any illustrations as to what you guys are planning,...I like the shock absorber idea
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

It's a setup where a weight is suspended below/from bent wires that keep it out of the rocks. It's for use in currents where you fish into the current and "bounce" the weight back towards you with the current. Good for fast rivers and tidal rips. I can't find a picture but the idea is to keep a decent ball of lead from hanging up.

Don't use an old friend of mine's brilliant idea. He came up to Kodiak and I took him out handlining. We got set up off Mill Bay and I started jigging. He decided it was such a glorious day he was napping and the fish could find his bait without him working at jigging. Next thing I know, he's taken his boots and socks off and tied the handline to his big toe so he'd feel it if he got a bite. I told him he might not want to do that but he scoffed at me and laid out in the sun. (In his defense, he'd never caught anything bigger than a trout in his life.) Well I jigged up a cod, then a small 18 inch or so halibut and he wasn't getting any action. Then I got a 25 lber. And he decided to try jigging since I was having all the luck. About that time I nailed a 50 lber and he was like, "wow, that might have hurt my toe a bit." Then wham his line comes tight and the fight was on. Finally got it up and it was a 180 pounder and you should have seen his eyes, big as saucers. He actually had the nerve to yell at me for letting him tie that line to his toe. As if I could have done anything about it. hah!
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett