Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaska airlines and antlers

Default Alaska airlines and antlers

I have read the rules on AK Airlines website but I have more questions:

1. Do you have to split the antlers?

2. Can you put, say, a split set of moose horns AND a split set of caribou horns in the same box and only pay the $150 or are they going to want seperate boxes and/or another $150????????????

3. What does a moose hide weigh?

4. Can you split horns on a moose and later reattached them and do a European mount or are the horns to heavy to reattach and expect it to hold?

I am debating my options - there are several of us and I have to decide between the guy posting (peterbuilt? - he might be already gone when we come out) or flying our own stuff home with us.

Here is the email address for Alaska airline cargo, i think they could answer your questions.
    https://alaskacargo.custhelp.com/app...QvVzFrdXB3U2s=

Quote Originally Posted by DonV View Post

1. Do you have to split the antlers?

2. Can you put, say, a split set of moose horns AND a split set of caribou horns in the same box and only pay the $150 or are they going to want seperate boxes and/or another $150????????????

3. What does a moose hide weigh?

4. Can you split horns on a moose and later reattached them and do a European mount or are the horns to heavy to reattach and expect it to hold?
    + What's the name of your taxidermist? Just wondering who I'm supposed to call on your behalf?

Questions 1 & 2 definitely need to be directed to Alaska Air for a definitive answer. Don't forget to check these rules about 30 days before you fly, as they can change without notice.

Questions 3 & 4 are better answered by a taxidermist. I don't know what a green moose cape weighs, but the longer it has to drain and dry, the better. I know you CAN reattach the (cut) antler, and it's done quite often. I just don't know the method. I'm not really sure how well it would work with a Euro mount.

Might be wrong, but I think you need to figure around 100 # for an undried, salted moose CAPE. The whole hide would be a whole lot more.
    BONDO would probably rejoin anything you'd want to split (and hold). Ask your taxi (I'm sure he's heard of Bondo. )

dad split his 'bou horns on accident when skinning it out in the dark, and he just bondo'd it back to gather and put some screws through it, but he didn't do a european mount. I would think if you split it it would help to make it a jagged edge so it "goes into place" better, ya know what I mean? not sure if it would make to much of a difference but ya never know. his was pretty jagged
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Default Pin

I would talk to your taxidermist about the proper meathod to pin your antlers. Basicly the antlers are drilled approximatly 3/8" hole and then cut close to the burr. when reassembling a pin is put in the hole to perfectly align the antlers. I have seen square stock and a second small alignment pin used also. They hold together very well like this, either normal or european mount. Don't forget to check on F&G shipping tags.~Mist~

Donald,

Geez man pick up the phone!

1. Call AK Air.

2. Call AK Air.

3. Why care about the hide if you're doing a european? Makes no sense.

4. Sure, anything's possible but it will require rods, screws, etc. Probably look like ****.

Go with Peterbilt. Contributing to a valuable service for lower 48 hunters by using his service will hopefully help make it run for years. Probably the best way to get ALL that tasty meat you and the other Ohio fellas hope to knock down while up here in Alaska. Don't nickle and dime this it'll create stress, you don't need that on your great adventure. From the solo packout thread, it appears money isn't an issue so why worry about what'll save you a few bucks.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

As usual I am thinking so far ahead everyone thinks I am behind. My taxidermist is ONE opinion. My friend hunting nearby is doing a european mount. guys I say this a lot but no one is smart enough to listen. What your airlines say you can do and what the person checking you in thinks you can do are never EVER the same. I have a copy of their regs with me but, guess what a stinky smelly camo hunter telling you your wrong and shoving the rules printed in your face is NOT going to make things better. Every time I fly now anywhere I quiz person checking me in about archery gear, meat, antlers etc. I have never had someone answer half my questions correctly!

I had a very bad experiance trying to check in my rifles once I was polite etc and I was correct. Some people do not take being wrong well and it was a nightmare. My taxidermist who OF COURSE I called said I could not reattach moose horns. Guess you guys were wrong about asking him?

Next asking AK airlines about taking TWO sets of horns will get me different answers depending on who I talk to. I know hunters who have done this and others who have not been able to do this. I want to know what guys are able to get away with (2 sets etc.)

Fir being so confident and sarcastic some of you guys are giving terrible incorrect and often dumb advice. Also peterbuilt is most likely leaving FAI befofe I fly back from bush.

There gooch how smart do you feel now? By my count your advice was all crap and wrong.

Thanks to the guys who gave good advice sorry but I am getting tired of a bunch of know it alls who are so far behind they think they are ahead.

Don,

Given the amount of advice you have solicited and received on here, I'd say your response was overboard and that you should apologize to Mike.

Who is mike? When I am wrong I admit it although I rarely see the same from other posters on any forum. I appreciate advice but getting tons of slack by some saying I cant, should have etc when I bet none of them ever put 1/2 the research/effort/thought in I do is getting to be much.

Don,

I spoke to my taxidermist. He does cut an antler on many moose mounts, and uses a pin systemt to reattach. He has done it to both antlers, in an effort to make hanging the mount much easier at times. We did not get into the specifics of how he does the pins.

I pretty much stand by what I said regarding checking with Alaska Air 30 days before departure. I once stood in line behind a guy who split a set of moose antlers and tried to fly them home in his duffel. The desk agents totally refused the antlers, and advised him they MUST be boxed and points protected. 15 minutes of discussion got him nowhere but late. He finally found a box and got it done. The regs are always in doubt.

Personally, I quit trying to fly home with cape, antlers and meat. Too much to manage, and a formula for major problems. I let a Fairbanks man take care of my head, and then have it shipped to me. I consider it well worth the added cost.

Mike = Gooch.

Who is mike? When I am wrong I admit it although I rarely see the same from other posters on any forum. I appreciate advice but getting tons of slack by some saying I cant, should have etc when I bet none of them ever put 1/2 the research/effort/thought in I do is getting to be much.

As usual I am thinking so far ahead everyone thinks I am behind. My taxidermist is ONE opinion. My friend hunting nearby is doing a european mount. guys I say this a lot but no one is smart enough to listen. What your airlines say you can do and what the person checking you in thinks you can do are never EVER the same. I have a copy of their regs with me but, guess what a stinky smelly camo hunter telling you your wrong and shoving the rules printed in your face is NOT going to make things better. Every time I fly now anywhere I quiz person checking me in about archery gear, meat, antlers etc. I have never had someone answer half my questions correctly!

I had a very bad experiance trying to check in my rifles once I was polite etc and I was correct. Some people do not take being wrong well and it was a nightmare. My taxidermist who OF COURSE I called said I could not reattach moose horns. Guess you guys were wrong about asking him?

Next asking AK airlines about taking TWO sets of horns will get me different answers depending on who I talk to. I know hunters who have done this and others who have not been able to do this. I want to know what guys are able to get away with (2 sets etc.)

Fir being so confident and sarcastic some of you guys are giving terrible incorrect and often dumb advice. Also peterbuilt is most likely leaving FAI befofe I fly back from bush.

There gooch how smart do you feel now? By my count your advice was all crap and wrong.

Thanks to the guys who gave good advice sorry but I am getting tired of a bunch of know it alls who are so far behind they think they are ahead.
    With that kind of response, all I can say is good luck getting much help from others on here. Continually talking about how much better than the rest of us you are and how none of us are smart enough to know that you are talking about isn't going to gain you any points around here. Hopefully you have gotten most of the help you will need because continued help from a lot around here will be hard to come by.

You cannot split the Moose antlers unless you have 4 Brow tines on one side..... If both sets of antlers fit in one antler box from AK AIR they will only charge you the one fee. I mailed my split antlers back in a bicycle box back to Chicago for $103.00. You need to have a boundary waterproof bag to ship the raw skin home as a carry -on or baggage

Not that it matters, but this latest thread of yours just seems to be a "I just want you all to talk to me thread". I think Gooch had sound advice.

Fir being so confident and sarcastic some of you guys are giving terrible incorrect and often dumb advice.
    Sorry you feel that way. I genuinely feel that we try to give good advice and considering its free ... you'll have to judge whether your moneys are well spent.

After your hunt ... please review your threads and the advice given and let us know if you still feel the same way.

Good luck.

Having a bad day Don?

Just follow thier posted rules for AK Air. You have to put the horns in a plastic bag and you have to put something on the tips to keep them from poking holes in the box. We use styrofoam and duct tape, but have also used a lenghty of garden hose. Watch out for the maximum size of the box - we brought home a 356" bull (split) from Billings this year and he was 1 inch from being max box size for checked baggage - we were almost screwed - but I finally showed the lady how to use a measuring tape and also I had a copy of thier instructions. First thing she said was that was for a bigger plane not the turbo prop we were on from BIL to SEATAC......got us really worried really quick.

If you don't act like a ****** bag when you are checking in, you will find that AK air is pretty good deal with in Alaska - more so than the ak air people in the lower 48 has been my experience.

You will want to ship most of your stuff back on alaska air cargo instead of as checked baggage. The size and weight limits for checked baggage get expensive very quick. Plan for extra time - one day, to prep and get them off - before your scheduled flight departure. Ship what meat you can back with your checked baggage. Keep the boxes under 50 pounds. We use coolers to ship our meat in - but they take up 6 to 8 pounds depending on the cooler.

Get a different taxidermist. We have split all of our moose horns and put them back together....not hard. Some we pin, some we screw and bondo. Works fine. Keep in mind the 50 inch rule if the brow tines are not up to snuff.

Don't rip on gooch........

In 2010 we flew two sets of intact caribou antlers back home with us as extra baggage on Alaska Airlines... for their oversize baggage fee of $100. We got the box at Alaska Airlines Cargo for free... after we made a friend at the counter when we gave her some caribou meat. In 2011 we shipped our moose antlers home Alaska Airlines Cargo, split with a bunch of meat and cape. We used our plastic containers and fish boxes. Plan ahead and then have a plan B and a plan C. The moose cape weighed a little over 80# green. Ed F
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gooch is the owner/operator of a business that caters to hundreds of hunters every year who ship their stuff home on Alaska Air. His advice is solid. You're far too quick to dismiss the advice of a man who deals with these issues more than almost any person on these forums.

Your experiences with airline agents in the states has no bearing on what you will experience up here. Trying to check in something in Ohio where checking firearms and related gear is relatively rare in no way compares to checking similar items in Alaska where multiple people are doing the same thing every day. Call the airlines. Their policies do reflect reality. (As does Gooch's advice, by the way.)

Well Brian, actually I don't run THAT many hunters per year (only so many critters) but have worked with over 100 hunters easily. Add fisherman maybe ;-) And I appreciate the kudos.

Donald Varga, how do I feel now after your uneducated lashing? Great, my info was perfect. - ALL of my folks come each year via plane, then depart via plane. I ship tons (literally) of fish and game every year. I have never been given false info by airlines or had someone who didn't follow the rules of the airline or website. Most of my hunters are alaskan and fly north, fishers south. I have shipped numerous moose and caribou as well guiding and personal.

So point 1 - call AK Air - was spot on, not crap as you stated. Your attitude probably has something to do with your issues.

Point 2 - same as above.

Point 3 - I didn't answer that one just posed a question so yes my info was crap. Though you are confusing in your writing so it's hard to keep up.

Point 4 - Once again I was spot on. You asked about taking horns off a skull and reattaching them for an European. Not possible as I said. Shoulder mounts it's fine. You already asked your taxidermist, why ask again?

As for Peterbilt, he said he was leaving the 27th you're out the 26th. No other info has been presented if you had more info why even include him as an option? If I was 379 Peterbilt, I wouldn't deal with you anyway as it will likely turn into a cluster with you quizzing him at the truckstop as you do airline attendents.

Lastly, your "research" you keep raving about is little more than posing questions to lots of folks who could literally hunt circles around you. Research isn't finding an air taxi and having them take you to one of their spots. RESEARCH is being able to say, I want to land on that sandbar. That Mr Varga is research.

Final thought, you may want to research the cost of a C-130 back to Cleveland because if your moose rack is as big as your ego, you'll need it.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast