Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what bow

Default what bow

so its has been asked in the gun forum so how about you archers. What bow are you using this year and for what animal..

I used a bowtech commander for my earlier hunting including a muskox. I was recently seduced by the Elite Answer and that will be my hunting bow for awhile although I still have and shoot my commander. My first hunt with it will be DE318 for elk.

My main bow is a '12 PSE X force Vendetta dc @ 60#, but I have a few other "back up" bows, a Bowtech Allegiance and PSE Axe 6. I buy and sell bows often, so my stable of bows change, looking at ordering up an Obsession Archery Lethal Force right now.

My main bow is a DXT, SWB for a backup, elk, bear, deer here on the Oregon coast this year...float for moose next year in AK.

Main bow is a Hoyt maxxis 31 caribou deer and I hope bear real soon and moose. And always have my Hoyt powerhawk as a trusty backup.

Quote Originally Posted by hoythunter View Post
    Main bow is a Hoyt maxxis 31 caribou deer and I hope bear real soon and moose. And always have my Hoyt powerhawk as a trusty backup.
    with a screen name of hoythunter I am certainly glad to see you are hunting with a hoyt...lol
    how do you like your maxxis..

I have shot a variety of bows over the years but my last three bows in the past ten years have been Mathews.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Martin Sceptor 4, Mag limbs, Nitrous B cams, built by me and with strings/cables made by me. Same bow I've been shooting for 4 yrs. Fast enough, smooth enough, reliable as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    with a screen name of hoythunter I am certainly glad to see you are hunting with a hoyt...lol
    how do you like your maxxis..
    Bear the maxxis is a very forgiving bow, smooth draw, quiet, light weight. It's not a fast bow never been into speed. And for me is easy to tune up when I got it. Also it looks nice. Along with all of that can't beat Hoyts limbs, this is for dual cam bows if I had to pick a single cam bow it would be a Mathews.

I shot Mathews before Mathews were cool. Then I was guiding a fellow and filming a sheep hunt.From that point on I never went back to the lazy in hand feeling of a Mathews. Bowtech 340 Destroyer now. I seen what it did when he shot his bow. He was shooting a 82nd Airborne, I shot 101st Airborne for awhile and then moved to the 340 Destroyer. Bowtechs two new bow are awesome,Ive shot them recently. There is nothing wrong with Mathews,I just like a feeling of power when I let go., so dual energy cams deliver. My take on purchasing a new bow is. If you sahoot it and it feels good to you and your comfortable buy it and shoot it. Every company makes a great bow now days.

Looks like I will be the only one in Alaska shooting an APAagain this year. I have the Venom and it shoots well. I always have my DiamondBlack Ice for backup though.
    Before someone asks, No I am not from Canada.

Mathews Switchback XT, same one I have been shooting for the last 5 years. No need to change a good thing. I did put a set of new winners choice strings and cables on it this year though.
    "No battle plan ever survives first contact with the enemy" - Unknown
    Literal Translation:
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

Been shooting a Browning High Country for about 6 years just got a Mathews Z71 and I realy like it.
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

I shoot a Mathews Legacy it is old but still performs nicely, I will be chasing Black Bears this fall in WI after eight years of putting in for a tag... I hate trying to draw tags....

Black Widow Takedown recurve, Trying to harvest a Bear.caribou and moose with this bow

I'm with Wiso, trad gear for me. A homemade 50# longbow -

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

A 2010 Martin Firecat TR2 I have shot martin for the last 25 Years and never did me wrong.. I still have a 20 year old Martin Lynx for target and still works like a charm..(new string) The TR2 Impressed me the first time I shot it..

The Older manufaturers Bows all do very well.. PSE , Matthews. I havent embraced the Bowtech Craze but I have heard that experienced people do like them..
    Last edited by sluicebox; 03-09-2012 at 11:31. Reason: ffs

I'm with the stick and string crowd. Really liking Boo Backed Ipe, working on a new one for moose. If it doesn't work out my trusty Blacktail will be in my hand.
    Akmud - nice looking bow and good shot!

Quote Originally Posted by hoythunter View Post
    Bear the maxxis is a very forgiving bow, smooth draw, quiet, light weight. It's not a fast bow never been into speed. And for me is easy to tune up when I got it. Also it looks nice. Along with all of that can't beat Hoyts limbs, this is for dual cam bows if I had to pick a single cam bow it would be a Mathews.
    thanks for the info and yes they are good lookin bows,yea I am not a speed freak either(even though I was looking at an alphaburner) i actually hunt with my target bow a hoyt pro elite just because it shoot so good..
    Dave

Z7 extreme 65# 27" dm786

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast