Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kimber Mountain Ascent

Default Kimber Mountain Ascent

I just saw the Kimber Mountain Ascent on their website. 4lbs 13oz and chambered in 308 only. This could be good. Anyone have any experience with this set up yet?
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

My guess is that it'll be a while before any of us see one. Kimber is perpetually backlogged on production.

I'm interested in hearing what the first one of us who actually gets one has to report on it.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I'll take my NULA in 308.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Quote Originally Posted by JC in AK View Post
    I just saw the Kimber Mountain Ascent on their website. 4lbs 13oz and chambered in 308 only. This could be good. Anyone have any experience with this set up yet?
    I had this caliber and the 280 AI in my hand at the SHOT Show in January. Kimber has the right idea, thinking outside the box, I will give them that. The stock color and the coating color they put on the rifle I didn't feel it fit, but that is just my opinion.

These are the things Kimbers engineers did to the rifle (compared to the standard Montana) to reduce weight: Four flutes in the barrel that are only about 10" long, they claim they put an aluminum trigger guard on it (I could not tell and they were not letting anybody take them apart), and some very very small fluting on the bolt body and bolt handle. Bottom line they took right at 5oz off this rifles weight from the standard production Kimber Montana 84 or 84L.

Instead of waiting for the Ascent to become available (and saving $650), buy a Kimber 84 Montana in 308, have the barrel fluted (about $150) and go with an aluminum trigger guard that Kevin Weaver out of Peyton CO is producing that he is selling for $60 with shipping. I sell aluminum bolt handles for $50 and the bolt can be fluted for under $100.

I am doing all of the above on on a 25/06 84L Montana. I will post some photos when I am done. I don't think I will flute the bolt body, very very little weight taken off for the amount of money spent on that.

I know you also get a coating on the new Ascent model, and a muzzle break, but neither of those two options I personally would want (because of the quality/color of the coating Kimber used, I am going with a Cerakote coating and I will go with a different color), and the muzzle brake does add to the total weight of the rifle and is not needed on any of the calibers they are offering the Ascent in.

I have seen the aluminum trigger guard and matched the 84M version up to my 84L. The 84M and 84L use the same trigger guard. They are a substantial weight savings considering that they are for an already light rifle.

sheephunteralaska: can you PM me some info/pics on the bolt handles? I was planning on getting one of the Ti handles but they seem to be out of production.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    My guess is that it'll be a while before any of us see one. ........
    And if a guy is left handed like many of us here, we'll never see one.

Kimber doesn't give a rat's A $ $ about south paw hunters, therefore I won't buy anything from them for the righties in our home.

I built our lightweight RH guns for the wife and kids....
    Proud to be an American!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I have seen the aluminum trigger guard and matched the 84M version up to my 84L. The 84M and 84L use the same trigger guard. They are a substantial weight savings considering that they are for an already light rifle.
    Substantial is a relative term. The aluminum trigger guards are a 1/3 of the weight of a stainless one, which sounds great until you realize the stainless ones are 2.5 oz So you are knocking around 1.7 oz off the weight of the rifle.

I got my rifle weight down to 4 pounds 12 oz currently and its less than 5.5 pounds all up with a scope. Kevin Weaver in Colorado used my trigger guard as a template to make the aluminum trigger guards in his CNC machine.

The Kimbers have pretty pencil barrels anyways, so I am not sure now much "meat" they can actually get off of the barrels to save the weight. Kevin Weaver seems to think it isn't worth the $$$ and I trust his judgement on that. I was hoping to get sub 5.5 pounds and got there without too much effort and am still an ounce lighter than the new ascent. Granted I cut my barrel down to 20", had I kept it at 22" it would have been the same weight for less than what Kimber wants for the new Ascent rifle, without the silly colored stock.

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post

Kimber doesn't give a rat's A $ $ about south paw hunters, therefore I won't buy anything from them for the righties in our home.

I built our lightweight RH guns for the wife and kids....
    I don't know you, but I like you!! Lefties unite.

I decided to bite the bullet and go NULA in 308, just like Alaska22, but mine will have the bolt on the proper side
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I'm left handed too, but right-eyed dominant (thank goodness). Is it true that they no longer make the Browning A-bolt Ti?

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I'm left handed too, but right-eyed dominant (thank goodness). Is it true that they no longer make the Browning A-bolt Ti?
    I am left for writing and eating and right handed for everything else pretty much and like you very thankful for it. Not sure if they still make the Browning TI, I bought mine from gunbroker

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I'm lefty but right eye dominant, and shoot lefty. I'm all screwed up ~ which is no suprise to anyone that knows me I shoot a basketball with my left hand, but can only do layups with my right. I throw a baseball/football with my left, but throw a frisbee with my right.

As far as I know Browning still makes the TI. I know they don't in lefty tho otherwise I'd have one.

TW,

Don't let my brother (Hunt_AK) see that NULA, he'll be drooling all over that thing. Gotta be a lefty thing I'm sure.

Hey thanks for ther replies and advice. I will have to check out the Nula too!
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

I think the Browning A-bolt TI has been discontinued. As well as the Remington Alaskan Ti
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    Sigh..........

why spend an extra 600 bucks to take an extra 5 oz's off? jeez, be a man about it. i highly doubt you could even feel 1/3 of a pound difference after a week of hunting.....
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    why spend an extra 600 bucks to take an extra 5 oz's off?

I think it is the same mind set as the guy that has to get the very last feet per second out of his reloads. This is extra light instead of over fast.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

why spend an extra 600 bucks to take an extra 5 oz's off? jeez, be a man about it. i highly doubt you could even feel 1/3 of a pound difference after a week of hunting.....
    Come on man! Don't ever try and use logic with a hunter?

Its like my wife asking me why I bought a new boat, and our cost per pound of fish went from $7 per pound from the store to $700 per pound with the boat. Or why I spent $2,000 on a sheep hunt (that's what she thinks it costs ) and brought home 60 lbs of meat. For $30 per pound we could eat Kobe beef.

Come on man!

5oz on its own isn't much but if you take 2-7oz off enough items in your pack it quickly adds up to pounds. I used to take off with 65+ lbs on my back. Now I can do the same trip with about 40lbs and be more comfortable doing it. A 1/3 total deduction in pack weight makes a huge difference!!

Another part is to customize your rifle and have fun doing so, much like Alaska_Lanche has accomplished. Not too many other Kimbers like that in the field, I'd bet....

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast