Thread: Backcountry trip

Default Backcountry trip

Hello all! Have been reading for a couple years, just now joined. I have a couple questions, but first a little background.

Im 27, Originally from Northern Michigan. Latest worked in the Gulf of Mexico as a commercial Diver in the oilfield. I grew up in Michigan and started hunting/fishing when I was about 5 years old. Have a good bit of experience in backwoods camping, as well as hunting and firearm handling. I go to the gym/run about 5-6 days a week, and do not smoke.

Now on to the subject matter. I am wanting to plan a 1 month long hike/camp in Alaska in 2013. I figured I would start the planning now to ensure I have everything sorted out by the time it comes. I realize Alaska is unlike Michigan, or any other place I have lived. My intention is to carry a fishing rod, sidearm for protection, and possibly a small rifle/shotgun for hunting. I am hoping to get some insight/advice from people who may know the state a little better than I.
    As of now a couple questions I can think of are this. Im looking at maybe August or September? I want to be able to hunt some small game for food, would I be better off carrying a small rimfire(22/.17) or a shotgun with shot loads/slugs for larger animals? Im going to be taking weight into consideration, but I want to make sure I make a good decision. Also, Im still debating between doing some sort of base camp and just doing day hikes, etc from there, or just hiking and setting up as I go.

I havent decided on a location either.
    As I said, any advice or recommendations anyone could give me would be much appreciated.

-Mike

Hiking the Denali highway would be fun; some good fishing, some good hunting, lots of great scenery and interesting people. Easy to get to. Kachemak Bay State Park might work. Stay with the research, figure your budget and honest expectations.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

get an old savage 22/20 Ga over under or something. look at gun broker and guns america
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Thanks for the info! I am starting the research now to make sure things are as set as they can be when I do the trip.

I would avoid the Denali Highway itself in August or September if you're looking for solitude. It is a very popular destination for hunting, so you'll have a couple thousand people keeping you company. There are some good options off of the Highway, though - particularly the controlled use area north of the highway once you're east of the Susitna River. That area is restricted to non-motorized use, so you could do some really cool exploring back there and have some great small game hunting. I'd also look pretty seriously at the Wrangell Mountains around McCarthy. Some of that is a National Park where no hunting is allowed, but some of the area is open to hunting and all of it is spectacular.

Hey man I'm planning right now for a month long backpacking trip to Alaska as well for this year.
    What we're doing is similar, except I'm not going to be hunting (this time!) so I'd be interested to see how you get on.