Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What species of cherry tree lives in the Valley?

Default What species of cherry tree lives in the Valley?

Gurneys.com cancelled my order for a cherry tree species that purported will grow here; they don't ship here. My landscaper friend and my local greenhouse both have no idea either which species will grow here, or where to buy some.

Does anyone know? I want to buy 2 cherry trees (as large as I possibly can) that will grow, and have edible cherries.

I will ask a friend who owned a landscaping type store out here they sent me some links to some sibirian bred stuff sounds like all that stuff grows good here I will p.m. you the link
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Thanks IA. That would be a big help. Also let me know if they look at you quizzically and say "huh?". That's all I've gotten so far.

Theres a place up on Clark-Wolvirine rd, Northern fruit I think they have apple,cherry trees family run place
    Also have different berry bushes .There about a mile off the old glen outside Palmer

Just as a heads up cherry trees are borderline for this area. I recomend you plant them in as ideal a location as possible.

Unless you are talking about canadain red cherry. I think they are hardier but mostly a decorative tree with choke cherry like fruit.

i got one from homedepot and its been growing good since 03
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Gurneys.com cancelled my order for a cherry tree species that purported will grow here; they don't ship here. My landscaper friend and my local greenhouse both have no idea either which species will grow here, or where to buy some.

Does anyone know? I want to buy 2 cherry trees (as large as I possibly can) that will grow, and have edible cherries.
    Familyman
    have you tried NORTHERN FRUITS NURSERY ? They are located about 1/2 mile up Clark-Wolverine Rd supposed to be open 7 days a week... 745-1070 I have a flyer from them that says they have 30 varieties of apples; plums; apricots; cherries, etc.. I'm waiting for breakup to go look at their plums.

John

Try calling River Bean in the Butte, he has a variety of fruit bearing trees that have done well in the valley. He owns the organic farm off Maude road.
    Make sure you keep the moose from finding them. Once they discover them, it's usually done for. Had a crab apple tree that is about 12-15' high and I was thinking the moose would no longer bother it. I was wrong, they just grab as high as they can reach and snap them to get to the tops.
    Also- consider wrapping the lower part of the trunk to keep the mice/critters from eating the bark under the snow layer in the winter.
    BK

never had a moose mess with cherry tree we got. they avoid it for some reason.
    Semper Fi!

Good to hear Grey, maybe I'll try planting a couple cherry trees casue they hammer the apple trees. Once they find them they come back year after year and keep hammering them.
    I have just about given up on the exotic plants and have been using nothing but local fauna around the house due to the winter moose chomping everything we plant.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Good to hear Grey, maybe I'll try planting a couple cherry trees casue they hammer the apple trees. Once they find them they come back year after year and keep hammering them.
    I have just about given up on the exotic plants and have been using nothing but local fauna around the house due to the winter moose chomping everything we plant.
    BK
    i put our cherry tree in the ground a 3' tall in 2003, its 2012 now and its 5' tall and produced about 6 cherrys a year, and its in the south side of the yard and gets ALLOT of sun in the summer, i could water it more often tho.
    Semper Fi!

here's the number for fruit tree's 745-1070 She is on Clark-Wolverine
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    BK
    I wired irish spring to my hay bales and those moose do NOT like it they have stayed clear of them after I added it around my bales
    Μολών λαβέ

Not to argue with you Iron, but the irish spring I hung around my garden didn't do a darn thing to deter the moose.
    In fact I had a pic of a cow moose eating the pea plants while a bar of irish spring on a rope was bouncing off the side of her head.
    BK

really they have steered clear of my hay bales thats really odd cause my buddy up the hill has hung it around his new apple tree's from last year and says they have steered clear from them too. Maybe the pea's were just to entiseing with overwhelming green's smell and the dormant tree's don't have the aroma that the green ones have.
    Hey Steve do a google search for members of the Alaskan Pioneer Fruit Growers.
    Μολών λαβέ

maybe your moose are used to the smelll and dont care, maybe put some moose heads on sticks around your garden to scare them away.
    Semper Fi!

Default Northern Fruits on clark wolverine

Thanks brokeeye, Old John, and IA for this recommend. I tried calling them today - no bueno. No answer, and their voice mail box is full. I'll keep trying.

Yeah, I figured it was an effort likely to fail, but I do want to try. Thanks all; further help still appreciated.

Family man, the type of cherry tree you are looking for is the "evans cherry" it grows up here just fine and are sweet enough to eat right off the tree.

Discovered growing near Edmonton, Alberta, by Dr. Ieuan Evans, Bali has fruited after withstanding minus 43 degrees F. A vigorous grower and precocious producer, yielding large (up to1 inch) fruit excellent for pies, sauces, jams and even fresh eating. Five year old trees (about 7 ft tall) have produced up to 10 gallons of fruit. Trees are from tissue culture, which means there is no graft or rootstock to worry about. Natural dwarf. Great for U-pick operations.
    I urge anyone looking into fruits, berries or nuts to look at St. Lawrence Nurseries

Northern Climate Fruit and Nut Trees

http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us/

Default hardy cherry tree: evans Cherry

Thanks rdrash; I found that exact species on this page of their site:
    http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us/pcherry.html

Their ordering deadline is just weeks away, so if I can't buy locally in the next week I'll fire off my order for these: $22/each, and they do ship to Alaska with the shipping cost being $20 for two trees or $26 for four. Quite reasonable.

Thanks much. +1

Still looking locally. Arctic Organics in Palmer doesn't carry any and doesn't know. I'll still hound Northern Fruit's phone and maybe they'll be there sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by rdrash View Post
    Family man, the type of cherry tree you are looking for is the "evans cherry" it grows up here just fine and are sweet enough to eat right off the tree.

I urge anyone looking into fruits, berries or nuts to look at St. Lawrence Nurseries

Northern Climate Fruit and Nut Trees

http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us/

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Thanks rdrash; I found that exact species on this page of their site:
    http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us/pcherry.html

Their ordering deadline is just weeks away, so if I can't buy locally in the next week I'll fire off my order for these: $22/each, and they do ship to Alaska with the shipping cost being $20 for two trees or $26 for four. Quite reasonable.

Thanks much. +1

Still looking locally. Arctic Organics in Palmer doesn't carry any and doesn't know. I'll still hound Northern Fruit's phone and maybe they'll be there sometime.

order 4 and i will split the shipping with you.
    Semper Fi!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast