Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: buffalo bore

Default buffalo bore

So I am quite sure it has been asked and I tried to search(apologies if it has) but what are your opinions on buffalo bore ammo. I would like to get a little more into handgun hunting this year starting with black bear in the spring. I already own a .475 linebaugh and have some buffalo bore 420 gr. L.B.T.-W.F.N.. I am a proficient reloader (just never loaded for my hand gun)and I have about 50 empties so I am open to suggestions as well..as always any input would be appreciated..
    Dave

I have some in .45 Colt that I've shot out of a 4" Redhawk. They are 325gr cast advertised @1325fps out of what I assume is a 6" or longer barrel. I was getting around 1270fps out of a 4". Touching them off is kinda spooky. You definitely know that they are loaded to the redline.
    Now what ?

It is good stuff. But like all store bought ammo, you can't find your guns accuracy point.

My son returned from a ox hunt with his 7.5" .480 Ruger a couple of weeks ago and was using the BB 325gr cast bullets. Out of 5 shots he recovered only 1 bullet that penetrated the shoulder bone. He said he found 1 bullet against the bone, the bullet was deformed on the side not on the end. The rest of the bullets all had fragmented. He was really disappointed in their performance.

I use Buffalo Bore when I choose to carry one of my 45 ACP auto's I have never felt under gunned when carrying there ammo staggered between hollow point and FMJ both +P loaded. I now have a couple 500S&W's and the next few month's I will carry one or the other loaded with some Buffalo Bore loads yet to be determined.

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    I have some in .45 Colt that I've shot out of a 4" Redhawk. They are 325gr cast advertised @1325fps out of what I assume is a 6" or longer barrel. I was getting around 1270fps out of a 4". Touching them off is kinda spooky. You definitely know that they are loaded to the redline.
    Indeed......I have the same gun and BB shells. Pretty darn hot for sure....

Quote Originally Posted by bfrshooter View Post
    It is good stuff. But like all store bought ammo, you can't find your guns accuracy point.
    very good point indeed,thats the exact reason I reload for my rifles well and cost too. truth is I have not yet even shot the bb that I have for groups simply because it has always been just a back up when packing out meat...

I you were going to reload what bullets do you .475 guys like
    ty dave

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    very good point indeed,thats the exact reason I reload for my rifles well and cost too. truth is I have not yet even shot the bb that I have for groups simply because it has always been just a back up when packing out meat...

I you were going to reload what bullets do you .475 guys like
    ty dave
    I have nothing but trouble here. I answered as best I could and got error messages, then could not get back to the site, lost all. I hate typing to lose it. I will try again later. Many days I can not even open this site. The little circle spins forever saying it is loading. It is frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by bfrshooter View Post
    I have nothing but trouble here. I answered as best I could and got error messages, then could not get back to the site, lost all. I hate typing to lose it. I will try again later. Many days I can not even open this site. The little circle spins forever saying it is loading. It is frustrating.
    Bummer... is your browser up to date? If I'm typing more than a sentence or two like this I just type it up in text edit and copy past it.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

The site has been having database issues. The geeks have been working on it but odds are that is the source of you issue.

Well the two troubles Buffalo Bore has are:

First itís loaded max and can be over pressure in some guns. Thatís understandable, push the limits and every so often youíll find problems here and there.

Second they have atrocious customer service at times, the owner (canít remember his name but he posts here sometimes) is the only real contact there and he is too busy to handle everything on his plate . . . this is per him, what he says. So if you have an issue (like I did with some 454 ftf even with heavy strikes) you are just on your own.

Itís good ammo loaded with good components as hot as can be had from anybody and with some good innovations, if it runs in your gun you are all set, if it doesnít your kinda on your own.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Tim Sundles, wasn't it? A few years ago him and WWG had that big thing going on (disagreement).

Tim is a good man but employees need to keep up with company need.I believe BB may well be out growing a one man show.I do still use the product when I find it on this little island
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I shoot BB .44 Mag, 340 grain +P in my Super Red Hawk and a modified Marlin 1895 and it shoots great at .44 mag ranges (100yds and under). I wouldn't shoot it in anything cheap and the .44 mag will only feed in the Ruger revolvers and modified Marlins, due to the OAL of the loaded cartridge. Its definately powerful stuff and I trust it as my bear protection and camp gun ammo. I have shot it into, actually completely thru, a Cottonwood tree that was approximately 14" thick from 25yds; amazing penetration for a handgun round.
    ďDon't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

I ran a box through my 4" redhawk 45LC when I first bought it. If I recall correctly, they were 360grain at 1450fps.........they were not comfortable to shoot in my little pistola.

Funny how the light loads are more "accurate" than the heavy ones isn't it............

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I ran a box through my 4" redhawk 45LC when I first bought it. If I recall correctly, they were 360grain at 1450fps.........they were not comfortable to shoot in my little pistola.

Funny how the light loads are more "accurate" than the heavy ones isn't it............
    WOW....I haven't seen them that grain and speed. Like was mentioned above, the hottest I've seen in 45LC is the 325 grn. at 1325.

If I remember correctly the BB website says that they do not push the 475 LB any due to the already high pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    So if you have an issue (like I did with some 454 ftf even with heavy strikes) you are just on your own.
    You're the second person I've heard of having FTF with BB 454 rounds....
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I appreciate all the input I have definetaly learned a little about BB that I didnt know,I always thought they were hot but now I know.I'm going to use up what BB I have and also do a little reloading and see what shoots best...

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    You're the second person I've heard of having FTF with BB 454 rounds....
    There was a long list of us here back about 2008 that had the 454 ftf issue. Tim put it down to the harder small rifle primers combined with the Ruger Redhawks light striking short pin. However I donít even own a Redhawk, I had the issue in my S&W 460 and it left some mighty big divots in those little primers. I gave the remaining ammo to a friend with a Puma 92 lever and he also had ftf with that gun. I suspect his equipment was contaminating the primers somehow, I havenít heard of anyone having that problem for a while now so whatever it was I think it got fixed.

Then there was some real bad 460S&W pressure issues just after that when Smith changed the forcing cone angle, guys were driving cases out with hammers kind of bad. Federal and Hornady had the same issue at the same time to a lesser extent and everybody had to back off their for-sale ammo so it would work in the newer guns so that was also salved.

BB makes good ammo itís just not a for everybody kind of ammo, itís hot stuff on the razors edge. Iím big into reloading so donít buy a lot of ammo but when I need brass Iíd as soon buy ammo as brass but that batch of 454 was some very expensive brass!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast