Thread: best time for caribou

Default best time for caribou

Planning on having an outfitter fly us out of the Happy Valley area for caribou. Is August or early September a better time considering bugs, velvet on horns, the weather, and rut.

Either August or early September can be great. Bugs are more likely to be an issue in August, though even then there can be a hard frost or two to knock them down. If you want velvet on the antlers, go prior to August 20th. If not, go after September 1st. You don't need to worry too much about the rut until after September 20th or thereabouts. As for weather, it's a crapshoot mostly, but the later you go the more likely you'll be to have snow on the ground.

I agree with Brian. The bulls are mostly out of velvet after 1 Sep although you'll see some with strips of velvet hanging on. Bugs are a matter of weather and weather is unpredictable. I went up there one year the second week in Sept and pretty much hunted during the day in a long sleeve shirt and a head net. A couple years and a week later it was 20 degrees with snow on the ground. For hard horn, my recommendatin would be between 5 and 15 Sept. But that is just me. Good luck and post pictures after you are done.

We are flying out of the Valley on around Sept. 13th with 70 North flying with Mike. If you haven't booked yet I'd get on it spots filling up quick Im sure. He is top notch PM if you would like. I would rather hunt around this time less or no bugs and no velvet.

I've heard mostly all good things about 70North but I can't get them to respond to emails. I sent an email asking if they could fly me into a specific drainage north of the range and haven't gotten an answer back. That was about a month ago.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    I've heard mostly all good things about 70North but I can't get them to respond to emails. I sent an email asking if they could fly me into a specific drainage north of the range and haven't gotten an answer back. That was about a month ago.
    Call the number on their website. All the times I've called that number, Mike has answered personally.

AZinAK

Mike's difficult to get ahold of sometimes when he's away from his base of operations due to limited cellphone and internet connectivity in the arctic. Keep trying, he might just be sitting on a warm beach somewhere with an umbrella drink right now. I don't have his satphone number anymore, but maybe somebody will PM it to you?

I've used Mike the past two summers for float hunts out of Happy Valley. Mike and Bob provide topnotch service. Both times we flew into the Brooks on Aug. 4th. In 2010 we saw hundreds of caribou along the river, swimming across the river trying to avoid our raft, and walking through camp. In 2011 the weather was warmer and most of the herd was still on the coast. We saw 6 caribou total and luckily my son connected on the only caribou we had a reasonable chance at. So, it's all a matter of timing and luck and nobody can really predict what time will be best.

Quote Originally Posted by AZinAK View Post
    Call the number on their website. All the times I've called that number, Mike has answered personally.

AZinAK
    I'm in Afghanistan right now and it's tough to get a call through. I was trying to set something up before i get back.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine