Thread: Chatanika River Riding

Default Chatanika River Riding

I normally avoid riding rivers in the interior but I'm curious; would it be safe to ride on the Chatanika river (say 5 miles on either side of the pipeline) this time of year? Only river I've ever ridden on has been the Tanana. So any tips you vetran river runners want to share with a noob would be appreciated.

Cheers!

I've ridden a bit on the Chatanika - down stream from the pipeline. I found there are bad spots (thin ice or open water) about every 1/4 mile or less. There are some pretty deep areas in the river and it's really not safe. I wouldn't do it. There are several trails on the other side of the highway towards Chatanika Lodge, or Cleary Summit, or Haystack Mountain so there's plenty of good riding in that area. Just not on the river.

That's what I wanted to know. I've found some good off trail riding in the chatanika valley riding through the tussocks and marshy areas. Was just hoping I could get further back in there a little faster by riding the river; however I have no desire to play U-Boat captain with my polaris. So we'll stay off the river. Thanks for the heads up.