Thread: Ramifications of Heavy Snow Pack

Exclamation Ramifications of Heavy Snow Pack

Will the near-record snowfall from this winter have a negative impact of the sockeye run in June?

I'm concerned that the Kenai and/or Russian rivers may experience flooding and colder temperatures that could delay the first run of fish this summer.

I would think that it would depend on how fast it melts and breaks up.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

With all this snow we got the winter, i'm thinking these rivers are guna be high and muddy, at least in the begining. Hopefully not but that just my prediction... "fishon"
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    With all this snow we got the winter, i'm thinking these rivers are guna be high and muddy, at least in the begining. Hopefully not but that just my prediction... "fishon"
    As long as its nasty in the beginning. I can deal with that just clear up when the salmon fishing is starting to get good around the end of May beginning of June. If its a cool summer though its gonna take forever to melt we may even have some left over at the beginning of next winter.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I totaly agree...comon summertime!!! "fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    As long as its nasty in the beginning. I can deal with that just clear up when the salmon fishing is starting to get good around the end of May beginning of June. If its a cool summer though its gonna take forever to melt we may even have some left over at the beginning of next winter.
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

In my experience, heavy snowfall doesn't necessarily correlate with muddy water.... unless we get a lot of HOT weather at once, causing it to melt at a faster rate than normal. I would expect to see higher water than normal, but it should stay clean unless it's coupled with hot, heavy rain, or an ice dam breakage.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Quote Originally Posted by markw3 View Post
    In my experience, heavy snowfall doesn't necessarily correlate with muddy water.... unless we get a lot of HOT weather at once, causing it to melt at a faster rate than normal. I would expect to see higher water than normal, but it should stay clean unless it's coupled with hot, heavy rain, or an ice dam breakage.
    MONEY! Take it to the bank.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD