Thread: Mosquitoes!

Default Mosquitoes!

Hi!
    Im going to Gates of the arctic (Alatna river) this summer. I have a question about mosquitoes.

We are either gonna go early july or early august. when would be the best time not to encounter the worst of the mosquitoes?
    I am from Sweden and we have a fair bit of mosquitoes. What am i to expect when i get to alaska?
    Is it so bad that I should consider another location in alaska?

thanx

/Mikael

july is the hatch, so august would be more tolerable.

mozzies everywhere you go in july august, so just bring deet and enjoy it all.

larry

Just a little taste of what you'll probably experience
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Purchase a Thermacell and a bunch of refills.
    You'll have less than $50- invested total and won't regret the purchase, guranteed!
    BK

My thoughts are-- Some times the monster is "in your head", think as little of them as you can and put your tent at the down river point of the gravel bar, where the wind is the most constant. Camp fires work too - just get in the smoke!!!
    Good luck and welcome to the wonders of ALASKA!!!
    Goo

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Purchase a Thermacell and a bunch of refills.
    You'll have less than $50- invested total and won't regret the purchase, guranteed!
    BK
    I just wanted to 2nd the thermacell. It's worth the money and then some.

What's the best shirt to wear for warmer weather while floating and fishing?

Either time is going to be buggy.

You're going to run into mosquitos (we have over two dozen species) and white sox (family Simuliidae). The former are our drillers, boring holes in your skin and extracting your blood through subsurface mining rights. The latter are our strip miners, ripping the top layer off to get at the crimson goodness inside.

Wear a head net and long sleeves, with a thin pair of poly gloves (to keep them off your hands). I don't prefer bug spray. It works, but you have to apply it constantly and it melts fishing line and other plastics (imagine what it does to your body). Goo is correct; smoke is a great defense. In fact the longer you can go without bathing the better off you'll be. Woodsmoke is a natural deodorant (or perhaps a cover scent). Most folks won't tell you that they don't bathe much in the field, but it's true. I have noticed that right after I shampoo what's left of my hair, and do a sponge bath, I am attacked by hordes of mosquitoes and white sox.

Goo also makes a good point about campsite selection and wind. The wind is your friend when it comes to the bugs. If your tent has double doors, enter and exit on the upwind side and you'll keep most of the bugs out. If you enter the tent on the leeward side, a whole cloud of 'em will come in with you. Then you have the fun of killing them one by one.

Get ready. They're gonna get you if you're unprepared.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

If you go with Thermacells, plan your supply stop around your flights. I think the cannisters are butane cartridges.
    Just grab some in Fairbanks if you're driving up. I like headnets for their simplicity, but hear the Thermacells work well.
    Sounds like a great trip!

Thanx guys for all your replies!!!!!!
    I've heard a lot about the thermacells. Would they really work when there as as many mosquitoes as in summer alaska?
    And since im flying out how can i bring the butane canisters with me? would it be any difference buying it in sweden and bringing it on the plane than buying it in fairbanks and bringing it on the plane to bettles?

So if I understand it right. The entrance to the tent should be facing towards the wind and on the gravel just on the riverbank?

/Mikael

Buy it in Fairbanks. I don't think you can ship butane on a commercial jet, however a bush plane is different and a thermacell would be allowed. And Yes, they work well as long as the wind is not blowing. Of course if it is, then you shouldn't need the thermacell anyway!
    Yes, tent opening into wind. On the lee side they will congregate out of the wind and get in the tent when you unzip.
    BK

but from fairbanks to bettles is that considered a bush plane? I know we take a bush plane once we reach bettles to get us out to Alatna river
    /Mikael

build a smudge. and a complete neglect/lack of any sort of personal hygiene helps as well (as stated earlier).