Thread: Taurus Raging Judge, any thoughts?

Default Taurus Raging Judge, any thoughts?

Howdy,
    Have any of you fired the Taurus Raging Judge .454, .45, .410? Any thoughts? I'm looking for a backup bear protection gun for use when I don't have free hands for my shotgun or rifle.

Any reviews or advice is appreciated.

http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...adcrumbseries=

I liken the Judges and their counterparts to the enduro motorcycle concept. They are for on and offroad. They can do both, but neither well. I would think for bear protection that you would be better served with a dedicated revolver in .454 or .45 Colt, .44 Magnum, etc. than a hybrid like the Judge. I never read anything positive about their accuracy potential with regular ammo. In my opnion, they are a gimmick.

You can get a nice pistol and rifle for that price and quaility to boot.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Yes mostly a gimmick and way to heavy for the power you get to use as a woods gun. They would be good sitting on the night stand loaded with buck when there is a bump in the night but thatís about it. They donít shoot 45/454 worth squat because of the long sloppy cylinder, they make a doughnut pattern with bird thanks to the rifling, and you donít want to shoot a bear with 410 buck or slug. Get a dedicated 454 or 44mag if you donít reload . . . if you do reload add 41mag, 45 Colt, 480 Ruger, to the list of very good bear calibers, if you want to hunt big game too add 460/500 S&W, and the big custom calibers.

If you are looking at the Judge because itís cheap, remember itís cheap . . . I wouldnít bet my life any cheap gun. If you want to save a buck on a good bear gun find one of the many thousands of quality used Ruger, Smith, Dan Wesson, etc. floating around in 44mag for the same price range as the new Judge.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post

If you are looking at the Judge because itís cheap, remember itís cheap . . . I wouldnít bet my life any cheap gun. If you want to save a buck on a good bear gun find one of the many thousands of quality used Ruger, Smith, Dan Wesson, etc. floating around in 44mag for the same price range as the new Judge.
    Unfortunately it ain't (cheap that is). The Raging Judge runs about $800 - $850, which is fair and square in SRH territory and even SW629. Taurus or Ruger or SW? Hmmm!

It is a beast of a gun weight/size wise, but could be fun. As for accuracy with 45/454, they are no bullseye gun but accuracy would be plenty good as a back-up bear defense gun.
    I was tempted to get one once as an all-round Ptarmigan/Bunny buster and bear defense, but the shot patterning is rubbish and no real range either. Better off with a little 410 shotgun or 22 and a quality handgun as back-up.
    As others have said it is an interesting gimmick and a good anti-carjack gun, but has no real place in the woods - well s'pose you could clunb a bear to death with it.

Quote Originally Posted by nbh40 View Post
    Unfortunately it ain't (cheap that is). The Raging Judge runs about $800 - $850, which is fair and square in SRH territory and even SW629. Taurus or Ruger or SW? Hmmm!
    Wow, that's just shy of twice the 45s price!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

i dont think they hold their value much either.
    Semper Fi!

I wouldn't own one but would point out that WWG has a barrel extension add on for the regular judge that makes it a decent shooter with bird shot. I imagine that they could do one for the raging version as well.... still wouldn't own one...

There's a right job for most any tool, but at 73 oz.... depends on your performance criteria maybe. What I noticed was the guns people didn't carry were usually heavy.

Couple weeks ago at friends', I heard a cute story about nature's call, a close critter encounter and leaving the gun in camp. Not sure about .410 for "
    backup bear protection gun"... , but I think weight matters to many and in the "up close and personal" type encounter, Ruger's Redhawk (4" 47oz), S&W 629 (5" 44oz) - and esp the 329 (4" 25oz) - I see people keep with them. The right tool needs to be close by.

Looks like a hoot to shoot though.

A friend brought his Taurus light weight 44 mag over yesterday.
    I was going to load some ammo.

Miked the throats . (2) @ .329, (1)@ .330, (1)@ .334, (2)@ .335. .....+/- a little.

Might want to look it over pretty good before buying.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Quote Originally Posted by travelers View Post
    A friend brought his Taurus light weight 44 mag over yesterday.
    I was going to load some ammo.

Miked the throats . (2) @ .329, (1)@ .330, (1)@ .334, (2)@ .335. .....+/- a little.

Might want to look it over pretty good before buying.
    Consistently inconsistent!

Owner of the gun shop down here said he sends more Taurus pistols back to the factory than any other gun....

Quote Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
    Howdy,
    Have any of you fired the Taurus Raging Judge .454, .45, .410? Any thoughts? I'm looking for a backup bear protection gun for use when I don't have free hands for my shotgun or rifle.

Any reviews or advice is appreciated.

http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...adcrumbseries=
    My opinion:

When in the woods, my carry gun is a 454 Casull Super Redhawk (or a .480 Ruger). But I also carry bear spray. If only one, it is the spray.

Bear spray has a better track record of keeping people uninjured than firearms. Having said that, every encounter is unique and anything can happen.

The 454 Casull is a good round. Out of a Taurus, a Freedom Arms, a Ruger or a Smith & Wesson, the ballistics are pretty much the same, power-wise. Taurus Judges may not last as many rounds as a Ruger Super Redhawk and may not group as tightly as a Freedom Arms, but at the kind of distances most bear defense shootings are, how much does that matter? That is, how tight a group can you shoot at 25 feet with a split-second notice and how well will you be aiming, anyway?

If the Judge is lighter in the holster, you are more likely to have it when you need it. If it is lighter in the hand, you are more likely to be able to bring it to bear (no pun intended) on target quicker. If you can afford the Judge easier than a Super Redhawk or Smith&Wesson 460 or 500, your choice.

Me? My choice is a 7.5" Super Redhawk 454 Casull or 480 Ruger (now that I have that choice) If they made a 5.5" SRH I might have chosen that, but the Alaskan (2.5") seems to me to be too short for ballistic efficiency. But the short barrel does make it a little bit faster out of the holster.

You asked for thoughts. These are the best ones I have laying around.

Good luck,

Lost Sheep

like this one? and yeah its a tank of a handgun... i surely wouldnt pack it around much!

Taurus 44mags have a limit on the load that can safely be fired from them. Seriously! It's in their owners manual. Taurus says nothing larger than a 240gr bullet can be safely fired from their revolvers. That aint no bear load! I have no experience with their Judge or Raging Bull 454/45/410 but you better check their load recomendations. The last thing you need is a failure from a bear load. I'd spend my money on something else. Do they still make shot shells for 44mags?

Just my $.02
    John
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JC in AK View Post
    Taurus 44mags have a limit on the load that can safely be fired from them. Seriously! It's in their owners manual. Taurus says nothing larger than a 240gr bullet can be safely fired from their revolvers. Just my $.02
    John
    This is just the Tracker models and is due to cylinder length and not Cyliner strength. The Trackers have a shorter cylinder as part of the compact design. The regular sized Taurus 44s do not have this issue/warning. With good hand loading the even Trackers will hold and fire a heavy loaded 300Gr lead bulleted cartridge without a problem.

Interesting,

Strange enough I read that information from the standard 44 manual online. Maybe they use the same manual. Either way I've got nothing against Taurus, don't own one right now though I like my brother in laws 1911.
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb