Thread: My son Caribou Hunting

Default My son Caribou Hunting

So with a couple friends, my oldest son set out behind his village and found fat Females, as March is the Month for that
    Looks like they gatherd for a gutting party for 9 caribou He told me they were among 2 or 3 thousand in one herd moving up to them on the hillside.

Hes set one aside for the wife and I as fresh meats, and I still have exceptionaly fat fall Caribou Bull meat on my rack, so we'll trade straight across prehaps, when we meet again, or if some one from there comes our way.We plan to visit him soon enough

He hunted Meat to an elderly couple as well, and kept one for himself. I think each young man did, as the other two have extended familys in that village and my son helps a house that helped us a few years back, so its all a circle. They especcially prize the inners of a Fat female this time of year, quite a vitamin boost , if you care to eat the entire animal.

Only -20 below and no Fur was seen, but he was happy enough to give us a call and let us see pictures.

Its good whan a Son does as his Dad did, or does, lets me smile more when I think about him and not worry.....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

looks like a killer day.

looks like you did a good job, dad.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Keeping the legend going
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

It's nice to see son's carry on in their fathers' footsteps. Makes you proud I am sure. Another picture taker in the family. That is good for us that can't be there.

For my own boys, I sometimes have to think back to what I was doing at their current age to realize that they don't need me as much anymore as I wish they did.

Its good to see you have passed on the family ways of life and your son is doing so well Chip! Good job!!

I'm crying...

Way to go!!! Meat in the freezer!
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Pure carnage out on the ice!! Great photos

well done to your boy and to you for raising a hunter stranger...did it take some prodding with your kids or did they come naturally to it? i know that everyone is not born a hunter as some of us seem to have been...i would assume the same is true even when theyre born into a hunting community such as yours, just wondering. i've often wondered how i'd feel if i had a kid who didnt have the urge to hunt or pursue....it might be tough.

No prodding nessessarry, both the boys just did what they wanted to. I raised them camping, not 'in' the village (certainly around them) and the oldest son didnt attend a school untill 10th grade, graduated Valadictorian and kept onhunting. I think his oldest is now along for the ride.

The second oldest son quit school in 10th grade to Hunt, and I just spent the last couple days fixxing him up

The Daughters as well, especially my 8 year old sets Rabbit snares and the 14 year old girl checks them with her every day , with quite good sucess.

Its good to teach your kids to contribute with a smile, and be the Provider, and use the availabe resources around them to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    No prodding nessessarry, both the boys just did what they wanted to. I raised them camping, not 'in' the village (certainly around them) and the oldest son didnt attend a school untill 10th grade, graduated Valadictorian and kept onhunting. I think his oldest is now along for the ride.

The second oldest son quit school in 10th grade to Hunt, and I just spent the last couple days fixxing him up

The Daughters as well, especially my 8 year old sets Rabbit snares and the 14 year old girl checks them with her every day , with quite good sucess.

Its good to teach your kids to contribute with a smile, and be the Provider, and use the availabe resources around them to do so.
    wow...lol, i woulda gave anything to have the option of hunting over school and football...lol, come to think of it i got in trouble more than once with both coaches, parents, and teachers for doing just that...an awsome lifestyle you and your family are leading out there chip. appreciate the reply.

Like a boss!! Suprised no furs following the herd if they're in the thousands. Seems odd??

No Fur isn't unusual, there's thousands and thousands of Caribou, and thousands of square miles to cover. The hill they caught them on wasn't prominent enough for Fur to do more than crest, piss and move on. Most find highground and watch the ridges below, I like to find them Hunting there, they will be paying attention to the ridges that lead to the valley below, and will walk well know paths.

That would make any father very proud!
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association