Thread: 22D Southwest Ox hunt

Default 22D Southwest Ox hunt

Well...I don't do much nice shhtuff, but I feel i can at least help out a person to make a dream hunt come true. Had a feller up here this past few days that knew a member on here and I said I'd help him out. Drug his butt all over the country and am fairly certain he'll be sore for a while from the 200 mile round trip..and the frostbite will take a few years to go away. But, got him his trophy of a lifetime. Marc's Ox:

Turns out, along the way we ran into three other guys on the trail and I recognized ol' Martentrapper's machines and sleds. I stopped and asked um if they were after ox. they said they were (one was, he too had a trophy tag). Asked them if they knew where they were going. They said they had no clue. So I said, we're going too...come on with and I'll get you your ox. So drug these guys around too, and managed to land him a dandy of a bull. I don't have a picture of his, but I'm glad I could allow two people a successful trophy hunt!!!

Cheapest guide ever: $Free.99

I won't go into the other guy's hunt and experiences, hopefully they'll have their own post on here shortly.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Way to go. If you want any help down this way just let me know.

Nice man! Way to be a good fella, you gotta like FREE!
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Good on you helping out like that Alaskan, the forums been kinda stale the last few weeks, nice to see some hunt pictures every now and then!! Did you end up getting one for yourself this year?

Way cool, helping like that should get you a few pounds of fat prime "share"

Rock on, Alaskan22!!!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Hats off to you, Alaskan22! What a great service you've provided that others charge thousands for! I put in for that ox hunt this past drawing but didn't get drawn. If I ever get drawn, I'll be contacting you and make it right by you.

CG- might be heading out soon to get one. When it comes to winter i'm a "fare weather hunter". That unit up there was already closed for registration, so it was just these two trophies.

I'm glad that the trophy tags have gone for a bit. It is a lot of work (plus my wife thinks its strange that I just let people "from the internet" stay in our home and help them, and I don't even know them). 200 miles on windblown, crappy trail is no fun. But that's why I do it, because I KNOW what to expect and where to go and people not from here wouldn't. That kind of conditions would normally end a hunt, but knowing if we push through they'll be good....I can nudge them along.

Thanks all. Like I said, if you draw a trophy ox near Nome (not the Shish hunt), I'll see what I can do to make it happen.

Just got an email with the other guy's bull. Here it is:

Congrats again to them both.

Well it all started over a year ago when we found out that my uncle had drawn one of the Seward Peninsula Trophy Musk-ox permits. We quickly decided that my dad and I would go along with him on this hunt of a lifetime. After doing some research we decided that we would rent snowmachines and cargo sleds from forum member martentrapper. Mike was a huge help for us trying to figure out what we needed and what we should expect on the trip.

Fast-forward to this past Friday afternoon - My dad and I arrived in Nome. We caught a cab over to the Extra Dry Creek B&B that we would be staying in for the next few days (the B&B was a great place with very friendly people and I would recommend it to anyone that is traveling to Nome!). After we got settled in we hooked up with martentrapper to get the machines and the sleds. My uncle arrived in Nome on the evening flight and we made our final preparations so that we would be ready to head out on the hunt early the next morning. We had decided that we would leave town around 7:30 am since we had a 53 mile ride just to get into our hunting area.

After a couple hours on the trail and a few stops to resituate the fuel cans in the cargo sled we got caught by a couple more sleds. As it turned out, it was another hunter with the same permit and he was being shown around by forum member Alaska22. As he already said he offered for us to caravan with them and hunt together and hopefully find two bulls. We gladly accepted his offer and we were very happy to have a local showing us around. It was a very good feeling to have someone with us that had been there before - it definitely made us feel more safe!

After riding over 100 miles and not even seeing a single Musk-ox I was beginning to wonder if they even lived in that area - we popped over a rise and there was a large herd of Ox! With a quick glance it was determined that there were two legal bulls in the herd. After they got a shot at the first bull, the herd grouped back up and my uncle was able to get a shot at the second bull and put him down.

DSC03300.jpg2012 Musk Ox Hunt 009.jpg

That was definitely the coldest that I have ever been while gutting an animal. Since it was so cold, we decided to just drop the guts and roll the Ox into the sled whole. It was a good idea for sure, because we were cold enough when we got done! We were very excited about the harvest but we were not looking forward to the 100 mile ride back to town, since the trip out had already made us very sore. At least the sun would be up for most of the trip!

We made it back into Nome a little after 9:00 pm with no set backs along the trail. After getting back to town we returned the machines and dropped off the Ox in martentrapper's garage for the night so that we could take care of it the next day. I would like to thank martentrapper for the services that he provided us. His machines ran perfectly which was very nice since we were so far out of town.

Finally, I would like to give a huge thanks to Alaska22! It is very rare to find someone that will go out of their way to help people that they don't know - we were very appreciative that he helped us like he did! Hopefully I will be able to return the favor some day!
    DJ

Way to go guys...especially Alaska22. Great to see Alaskans helping Alaskans for nothing more than a "Thanks!"

Alaskan22 that was a heck of a good thing you did for everyone involved and I am sure they all greatly appreciate your help! Congrats to the two hunters!

Bill, you guys sure did take better pictures than us!!! Was a great hunt!

Headed out in about 20 minutes to go get one for myself....your hunt got the blood boiling. Wanted to pull the trigger too.

Glad I could help, I figure it's the least a person can do for someone to help them achieve one of these animals. I don't even consider what I did a "favor". I just figure, it what you SHOULD do. Again, congrats on the success and i'm glad to have met you all and can call you friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan22 View Post
    Bill, you guys sure did take better pictures than us!!! Was a great hunt!

Headed out in about 20 minutes to go get one for myself....your hunt got the blood boiling. Wanted to pull the trigger too.

Glad I could help, I figure it's the least a person can do for someone to help them achieve one of these animals. I don't even consider what I did a "favor". I just figure, it what you SHOULD do. Again, congrats on the success and i'm glad to have met you all and can call you friends.
    Aren't you just the sweetest little thing!

Default ...

Mike, you've had the invite but you ALWAYS find a reason to not come on up.

And for example...i'll have new pics of yesterday's jaunt out to the land....