Thread: CDX Plywood on the interior ceiling?

Default CDX Plywood on the interior ceiling?

Anyone use or have an opinion of using 1/2" (15/32) CDX plywood on the interior ceiling of a cabin? Has grain and knots so I think it might look good with some stain on it. Looking for a low cost covering that will be structurally rigid and give that wood/cabin feel.

Any thoughts or other suggestions?

Default Use 5/8"

Use the 5/8" as it is stronger, it has an extra ply to it, generally it costs about the same. the C and D mean the grade, the C side might not be to bad The X means exterior grade, so if it gets wet it should not delaminate. Before you put it up, go outside with a torch and burnish the wood, it makes it look used, do not start it on fire or get it burnt, as the charcoal does not look good. A clear finish will show the grain and burnishing, this gives a good look to the roof.

Have a steel wire brush handy so if you do catch it on fire, you can brush the fire/charcoal right off. It adds character.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Use 1/2" if you have 16" on center rafters, or 5/8" if you are 2' on center.

You could router in V grooves to make it look like T&G. I would also think about installing it with screws and putting a 1-2" trim on the seams.

Looks like this, for better or worse:

" Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Stained and/or varnished plywood on the ceiling works fine. Varnish will reflect far more light than raw wood and makes it more "livable" in my opinion. I've seen quite a bit of 3/8" AC plywood used on interiors (both ceilings and walls), and think it finishes nicer and is much lighter and easier to deal with on a remote site. 1/2" CDX is really overkill for interior, non-structural use and is pretty rough to boot. Certainly plenty of it out there though, so I won't say it doesn't work.

Although I have no issue with using plywood for cabin interiors, I do prefer it painted rather than varnished most of the time. White ceilings reflect light back nicely when using a coleman lantern or propane lights. If you want to dress it up, the joints can be covered with a piece of 1" flat trim and it looks really good.

For reference, here is what oil stained CDX looks like (used on exterior soffit in this case):

Yk