Thread: trapping rats under ice.... without huts??

Default trapping rats under ice.... without huts??

i just went and spent a little bit of money on some muskrat traps....
    ive trapped muskrats before, but ive only trapped them in open water or "push up" set situations. the area that i have access to trapping has ALOT of rats in it, but there are no push ups. all the rats seem to den up in the banks. honestly, i really dont know how to aproach this situation. to give you an idea, i have 7 110 coni's, and 3 duke 1.5 double long spring traps. what types of sets would you guys suggest? what do i lookfor in a place to set? how do i set it? (pictures and links would be apriciated) i have a feeling that this year the ice just might be TOO thick...
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

how deep is the water? get a general idea of where they den up or feed and get a long pole the reaches the ground and stick it through the "eye" of the 110, stick a carrot on the triggers and put a wedge through the eye to keep the trap in place (or some wire) single spring traps would be easier, you have ANY single spring traps? for those you again get a long pole and make it almost exacially the same as a leaning pole marten set. set the trap 6 inches back and put a nail through the log and put a carrot on it.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

know what I mean, vern?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

yea, that makes sence. the problem is i didnt realy mark their runs and bank dens before freeze up so i have no clue where they live. the pond isnt that deep... and there is a creek that runs out of it. not sure if the creek (its very small) has any open water or not.
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Quote Originally Posted by joefish00000 View Post
    yea, that makes sence. the problem is i didnt realy mark their runs and bank dens before freeze up so i have no clue where they live. the pond isnt that deep... and there is a creek that runs out of it. not sure if the creek (its very small) has any open water or not.
    Ok, if there is a beaver dam check that (set some fox traps on it too, cause you are just about guaranteed one as they will cross on there is there is any open water on it) for cross overs. did you see any muskrats out there last summer or anything? I would imagine they would be ing hte same general area. how big is the pond? definatly set some at the mouth of hte creek. of course, always check for breathing holes too, and set traps or snares over them.

Supporting Member

Regarding FFG's advice about the fox trapping, I would check the trapping regs first. Pretty sure the fox season in all of Unit 14 closed on Feb. 28th.

Typically the area where the pond drains into the creek will have the thinnest ice. If there is enough water under the ice to cover your 110 or 120, set them towards the bottom of the ceek and block the top of them. Cover the ice back with a piece of blue board or other insulation to slow down the refreezing. by setting low the rats have to go under the blocking and will keep the trap operable without freeze up for a longer period. If the water is running the rats will use this spot. set as many as you can fit in this area multiple catches are the rule. _Mist_

jeez, and I though I knew alot about muskrats under ice.....

Quote Originally Posted by spike9542003@yahoo.com View Post
    Regarding FFG's advice about the fox trapping, I would check the trapping regs first. Pretty sure the fox season in all of Unit 14 closed on Feb. 28th.
    Ah yes good catch, It just doesn't seem like february should have passed yet, being a short winter, eh?

Supporting Member

My winters always fly by when I am trapping. Come on, Spring beaver!

Basically what your looking for is a "run" there fairly easy to spot and there will be a trail of air bubbles If there is ice over the run.. Chop it out and you will see this.

Place your 110 on the bottom of the run and they will follow along the bottom and hit your 110 like these guys

Here's a couple under ice rats taken out of 5 traps yesterday.

thanks lbtrapper! not only to the pics help my understanding, they also make me jelious!!

Muskrats have a tendency, even in open water, to hug the bottoms and thus creating visable runs. I imagine its more efficient for them to use their claws to hit the bottom as the glide along vs simply swimming, especially when they are bucking upstream currents. I have set these bottoms many times in open water with great success and most of the debris that is floating on moving water tends to drift over the sets if water is deep enough helping to keep your traps working better...
    Nice pics lbtrapper - thx for sharing!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Default anchorage area trapping regs...

hey guys,
    i looked in the trapping regs and it said there is a handout for anchorage area trapping... is it online or do i have to get it from the adfg office?? also, a few areas ive been looking at are 20mile, knik flats, turnagain marsh....
    any experience in these areas?? where is good? not looking to make money, just looking to enjoy some rat trapping so im not gonna take all the rats

Shoot me a pm Joe, maybe we can meet up and I'll show you the ins-and-outs of rat trapping.