Thread: aviation tax repeal

Default aviation tax repeal

I am somewhat out of touch and uninvolved with politics other than election time. I am Thankful for the voice of AOPA. I received this email this morning. I would not have known about it otherwise.

I emailed my assembly rep with my views and may attend the meeting.

Jim

The Mat Su Borough Assembly is considering an ordinance to repeal the aircraft registration tax at their meeting on Tuesday March 6. This would save single-engine aircraft owners $75/year, and owners with multi-engine aircraft $125 annually.

Ordinance 12-040, which eliminates the tax, was sponsored by Assembly Member Darcie Salmon, in support of the Mat Su Aviation Advisory Board recommendation.

AOPA encourages you to support this resolution either by contacting your assembly member, or to provide testimony at the public hearing, which starts at 6 p.m. Tuesday, March 6th, at the Assembly chambers, 350 E. Dahlia Ave., Palmer.

For more information, visit http://www.aopa.org/advocacy/article...ax-repeal.html. Or, you may respond to this email with questions.

Thank you for your action.

I thought the tax was for entry and exit out of towered air ports only (which was defeated), it would have turned merril field into a ghost town (other than for air carriers who were turning a profit and could absorb the costs).

Merril is already cost prohibitive to operate out of as a recreational pilot as it is and the high costs dont help buisnesses there either. If I remember correctly monthly rental fees for a basic T hanger is around 800$ a month, thats nearly what rent costs in a decent appartment in anchorage ... lol. To buy a run down T hangar is easily 6 figures and who knows what the merril lease fees are. Its definitly not a recreational pilots air port anymore unless you like over paying for hangar space. Plus you have to fly quite a ways to get to any free air space.

Read the post again......."The Mat Su Borough Assembly is considering an ordinance to repeal the aircraft registration tax at their meeting..." would indicate a local (Mat Su Borough) imposed tax. Would not affect anyone who is not local to that borough.

Well I was one of only 10 aircraft owners who bothered to show up and testify last night to this Mat-Su Borough Assembly meeting. Thankfully the vote was unanimous in favor of the ordinance. This $75 tax is now Repealed!!

Quote Originally Posted by bush_flyer View Post
    Well I was one of only 10 aircraft owners who bothered to show up and testify last night to this Mat-Su Borough Assembly meeting. Thankfully the vote was unanimous in favor of the ordinance. This $75 tax is now Repealed!!
    Congrats!!! On the successful reversal!!!

For some reason I thought that the muni of Los Anchorage taxed the aircraft in the mat-su also. Seems like I heard a heated discusion about this at one point in time. I am 110% against this tax. Good for you guys for getting it repealed. Who ever is running for mayor of Los Anchorage....might want to take note!

Great! Wonder if they will go after me for last feb 15 tax payment? I have had a issue with the tax from day one. Remember paying over 300.00 one year.

Quote Originally Posted by pa18tony View Post
    Great! Wonder if they will go after me for last feb 15 tax payment? I have had a issue with the tax from day one. Remember paying over 300.00 one year.
    And for those of you that paid the taxation with out representation tax, do not forgot to display receipt in your aircraft because THEY said so. BS!

thanks T and BushPilot for testifying.

I have a tie-down at MRI but the plane has been in Mat-Su since end of Aug. Yet the **** MOA made me pay the $75 dollars anyways.

I'm leaving this town asap. I may finish my house out KGB and build that strip I planned in 2007.

Mat-Su burro is one of the few places that regularly turnEmployess that administer those codes/requirements.

Yeah great to hear some good news for a change.

Rick