Thread: tier 11

Default tier 11

If you who have hunted the nelchina herd before had only the first week of the season to hunt it and a 4 wheeler where would your starting point be. Not asking for hot spots just general ideas feel free to pm me
    Thanks

I'd wait to set a location in stone until I heard the report from Fish and Game that they usually release a day or two before the season opens. I'd also be ready to move locations after the first two days if I wasn't seeing much. Ultimately, caribou are where they are. Last year I hunted on the 13th, and my planned location changed by almost exactly 100 miles between the 10th and the 12th based on hunter reports. A friend that went in on opening day to the location I had planned to hunt saw two caribou in three days. Meanwhile, we saw 300 caribou in the first four hours of hunting. Be flexible and you will do well.

Thanks for the tip Brian Thats kinda the time frame I will be able to get up there.

same happened with us, i had a plan A and abondonededed it the day prior and went with plan B, tagged out from the truck....
    be ready to travel and feel free to talk to other hunters you see at the gas station with a head in the trailer.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

yeah, don't be surprised at how mch the herds move.. get ready to move.. but move to much and you'll never find'em ..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

So do you guys just hit paxon and start driving the gighway until you locate a herd? Are there established trails you can get on to get back into the counrty a ways? sorry for so many questions im new to hunting this area.

geoff: You're on the right track.

There are trails and controlled use areas. Look through the regulations. Maps for the TLAD can be found online. Maps (with more detail) of the controlled use areas can be found at the F&G website. Read the regulations and restrictions for the various areas.. and then read them again ... and again. Everytime I read them, it seems like I learn something new or develop a different understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    geoff: You're on the right track.

There are trails and controlled use areas. Look through the regulations. Maps for the TLAD can be found online. Maps (with more detail) of the controlled use areas can be found at the F&G website. Read the regulations and restrictions for the various areas.. and then read them again ... and again. Everytime I read them, it seems like I learn something new or develop a different understanding.
    Wasn't sure what TLAD was but found it and here's the link to the trails brochure:

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...s_brochure.pdf