Thread: 1998 Indy440 problem. Loading up and suspension

Default 1998 Indy440 problem. Loading up and suspension

I picked up a 98 Indy 440 that seems to dog or load up right after getting on it hard and after is sits idling for awhile. any ideas?

The other issue is a noticeable thumping sound in the suspension when riding on bumpy trails. I am thinking shocks but could use a more experienced opinion please.

Thanks
    Mike

First check to see if the chokes arent stuck open and adjusted right, Then remove the rear suspension and grease it with low temp grease.

Could it be the fuel if the machine has been sitting? Would "Heet" be a bad idea to try?

Heat helps if there is water in the fuel, but my experience is water in the fuel makes for an engine that just won't run. It wouldn't hurt to drain the carbs to see if there is any water in them. If you get on the throttle more slowly will it run fine, or does it just load up no matter what you do? You might want to try lower the clip on the carb needles one notch which will richen up your midrange, but this could agrivate the problem if your plugs are starting to foul from prolonged idling. A fresh set of plugs never hurts.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Thanks for that. I put new fuel and some heet but what seemed to help was a new belt. The old one was a 1/4 inch narrower than my new one. Could that change power band enough to bog down? It looked very glazed also so maybe it was just slipping. I have a blue clutch spring, is there a better spring maybe to put engagement more in the power band?

www.hardcoresledder.com

That website has dedicated hardcore sledders who can tell you exactly what to do for a given sled in any given situation.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...