Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Its time for the annual 45 cap for bear thread!! (been waiting all year for this!)

Default Its time for the annual 45 acp for bear thread!! (been waiting all year for this!)

So, can I use my dads 1911 for bear protection when I fishing for trout on the parks highway streams? or should I save up for a 44 mag? What loads should I use? I have some hollow points and some round nose lead bulets that I could file the end off and make flat (as to penetrate in a more straight line) and some FMJ's all around 220 grain. Waddaya think?

(this is open to both sarcastic and serious comments)
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

What are you, suicidal? you should buy my .44 for $400 or I won't be able to sleep at night
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    What are you, suicidal? you should buy my .44 for $400 or I won't be able to sleep at night
    Yes and If I buy a taurus I have to file off the front sight cause you rather have to buy a ruger or freedom arms.....HAHA
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

45 CAP?, yes a 45 capacity mag for a bear gun is just perfect, as long as it is at least something like a 35 whelen... a 45 Cap 35 whelen semi auto... that would be cool

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    45 CAP?, yes a 45 capacity mag for a bear gun is just perfect, as long as it is at least something like a 35 whelen... a 45 Cap 35 whelen semi auto... that would be cool
    Gaa, I tried to change that to ACP, but my brother has a stupid computer with auto correct and it doesn't like ACP AIDEE!

I believe Saiga's got that in the works....only chance for survival
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

No, dontchya remember, the 45-70 is SOOOO MUCH BETTER for bears!!! but you can ge away with a 308 for really big bears, right??

I wish there was a way on the forums to reply simply to the thread titles for all threads.... I have so may sarcastic comments to make on so many threads... only to find that the thread title was quantified, laying waste to a great comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    Gaa, I tried to change that to ACP, but my brother has a stupid computer with auto correct and it doesn't like ACP AIDEE!
    love the fact that is your "brother's" computer lol... Never would "YOUR" own computer do such a thing!....lol

just flipppin ya crap brah :P

this thread is starting to have some potential....at least in my mind, and I am easily mused.....

love the fact that is your "brother's" computer lol... Never would "YOUR" own computer do such a thing!....lol

just flipppin ya crap brah :P
    Na, I don't have a computer, but no! Mine would never do such a thing! I would sentence it to 5 years hard labor (digging ditches, dontchya know) if it did an unspeakable act.....HaHa, that reminds me, my brother called me bray once, only he spelled it bra (cause he was texting and there is a spell check on his fancy phone too) and you can see how an un cultured country boy would find humor in that.....

Default 38 Special +Polar Bear

Oh yea, that's overkill!! My wife's 38 Special +P will work perfect! The +P stands for Plus Polar Bear, killing everything up to Polar Bear. I would suggest getting one of those and using it down at the mouth of the Russian.. I saw a decent brown bear down that way last year. If you're going to do it, just let me know when so I can take my video camera.. (and my Ruger 44 mag).. It would be a great educational video to post on the forum that would work so much better than the open ended discussions
    God is my strong fortress...
    He makes me as surefooted as a deer, enabling me to stand on mountain heights.
    He trains my hands for battle; he strengthens my arm to draw a bronze bow.
    2 Samuel 22:33

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    AIDEE!
    Did you just say "****" in Inupiaq? ~~LOL!!~~

A .45ACP you have in hand beats a .50 magnum you dont. I once shot a nice 5 foot Black Bear with my 9mm, first shot went throgh the base of the throat and exited out his last rib, just drilled a hole through his heart, dropped it there, currled inna ball, second shot was to the neck as I approched from behind and he was still kicking and flexing. No problemo for the 9mm, so whatta you think?

Your MosinNagant will drop any Bear , right there, as well, carrying it not only looks (and IS) Cool, it'll square up your shoulders, and a rifleman should always consitter his rifle first and his side arm as a secondary arm, unless yer real close and personal.....do you fish in the Willows???

Do not file the tips of bullets if you wantthem to fly straight, they are spinning and any unbalance whatsoever is gonna really mess with yer accuarcy, and you may entirely Miss the Bear......
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Did you just say "****" in Inupiaq? ~~LOL!!~~

A .45ACP you have in hand beats a .50 magnum you dont. I once shot a nice 5 foot Black Bear with my 9mm, first shot went throgh the base of the throat and exited out his last rib, just drilled a hole through his heart, dropped it there, currled inna ball, second shot was to the neck as I approched from behind and he was still kicking and flexing. No problemo for the 9mm, so whatta you think?

Your MosinNagant will drop any Bear , right there, as well, carrying it not only looks (and IS) Cool, it'll square up your shoulders, and a rifleman should always consitter his rifle first and his side arm as a secondary arm, unless yer real close and personal.....do you fish in the Willows???

Do not file the tips of bullets if you wantthem to fly straight, they are spinning and any unbalance whatsoever is gonna really mess with yer accuarcy, and you may entirely Miss the Bear......
    I was told in athabaskan it meant "Nooooo"(then again I was told Aseetook meant "this sucks" in yupic but it meant well, about what you think aides means.....I think 14 year old native boys can't be trusted with a vulnerable white boy.. HAHA) I fish in the thick of things, so I might consider just using the bayonet fro my side arm, as they are pretty much awesome sauce. I was joking about filing the tips, and yes, I can hit most anything with a 45 where as I can't hit nothing with a 500 S&W

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorGuy View Post
    Oh yea, that's overkill!! My wife's 38 Special +P will work perfect! The +P stands for Plus Polar Bear, killing everything up to Polar Bear. I would suggest getting one of those and using it down at the mouth of the Russian.. I saw a decent brown bear down that way last year. If you're going to do it, just let me know when so I can take my video camera.. (and my Ruger 44 mag).. It would be a great educational video to post on the forum that would work so much better than the open ended discussions
    I do believe we went over this last year and if I remember right, the 128 Gr hollow points were the best for head shots, Speed kills!!!

i sure like my witness in .45. i know (think) it wont kill them dead at a long distance but i do not plan using it at more than 20'. i dont care if it penetrates, i want a round to put physical distance between he and i. i like having the 22lr upper in my pocket for stupid chickens. i too fish in the thick and often alone and farther back in than most.

Quote Originally Posted by 27 sportfisher View Post
    i sure like my witness in .45. i know (think) it wont kill them dead at a long distance but i do not plan using it at more than 20'. i dont care if it penetrates, i want a round to put physical distance between he and i. i like having the 22lr upper in my pocket for stupid chickens. i too fish in the thick and often alone and farther back in than most.
    I've been planning on getting hte 22 upper for it, are they pretty accurate?

mine will out-shoot my abilities with no prob. out to 103 yds 1" groups.

you need a tactical lever action for bear protection you know red dots lasers you need it all and dont worry mossberg has ya covered.....

we should just do an experiment. get a group of people and arm them with rounds from .22 to .500 S&W cover them in Bacon and send them out into bear country, smallest caliber to survive the night is the smallest one you can use

in all honesty don't carry a pistol carry bear spray instead. I saw one study that said that bear spray was 90% effective at preventing bear attacks and a gun was 60%.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast