Thread: 2 seat Tandem vs Standard 4 seat

Default 2 seat Tandem vs Standard 4 seat

What would be better for starting out flying supplies most of the time and maybe a passenger here and there rarely. Would something like a Cub or Husky better or something like a Maule or Cessna? For mainly supplies and the occasional passenger I would say just a 2 seat like a Husky. What do you all think? This is not about the aircraft brand but more about 2 seat vs 4 seat. I think a 2 seat would be good for starting.

The answer I would give you is tandem over side by side. The aircraft will haul what ever the useful load is, and most of the time you be able to get what ever you want in. However, having said that I like a tandem aircraft for three reasons:
    First and LEAST important is that you usually can get longer items in like fishing poles or 8 2X4s
    Second and MOST important is that most tandem aircraft have a stick vice a yoke. Once you fly with a stick you will wonder why in the hell they ever invented the yoke. I will confess that I grew up in T-34Cs and a stick in the right hand and a throttle in the left is very natural to me.
    Third and sort of important if you are a bigger guy or broad in the shoulder or waits the tandem offers much more room than sitting next to your passenger even if you slide one seat back a bit so your shoulder are not touching.

Just my $0.02
    Drew

If you're thinking about revenue "bush" flying you'll be far more likely to fly a Cessna 207 than a Cub. It isn't romantic, but it's the truth.

Default Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp Shooter View Post
    What would be better for starting out flying supplies most of the time and maybe a passenger here and there rarely. Would something like a Cub or Husky better or something like a Maule or Cessna? For mainly supplies and the occasional passenger I would say just a 2 seat like a Husky. What do you all think? This is not about the aircraft brand but more about 2 seat vs 4 seat. I think a 2 seat would be good for starting.
    Just have to disagree a little here. The real "workhorse' that's as affordable as anything that flies will always be the Cessan 180 for me. A little narrow in the cabin, yeah, but long, LONG flying days don't wear you out completely, as Cubs sometimes do.

The C-180 carries a great load, everything considered, and does it a bit more swiftly than most of the tandem jobbies. A little more comfortable in really cold weather, and all the seats can be removed for serious freight hauls. Considering the comment that passengers will seldom be carried, I have to vote for the Cessna, even though it wears a yoke rather than a stick. Finally, it will operate off a little more than six hundred feet ----- loaded ----- and will so so safely and comfortably.

Also, I like the C-180 over the Maules. Better wing and a longer fuselage, meaning better directional stability. I think the C-180 has better visibility than the Maule, too.

That's my opinion, anyway,

For what it's worth ..................

Mort

The question is not what brand but a tandem 2 seat, side by side 2 seat, or 4 seat.

Default many variables in answering your question.

You say you wanna haul supplies. The occasional passenger. Ok, Ill substitute mail for your supplies and I come up with a 207, or a 206. Or a 180. Or a 737 combi. In order to make money up here in a single engine airplane, you need to have seating and cargo capacity, decent performance for using short unimproved strips, a strong desire to work very hard, and a wife with a really good sense of humor. Starting out, the best thing you could do is get up here and start pumping gas or tossing bags for an operator and work your butt off while going to school.

Question Caravan?

What about Caravan's. Several bush outfits fly those up here.
    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."
    Henry Ford

Default caravans..

Nothing at all wrong with Caravans. Like anything though, they have their tradeoffs. I could haul about the same load as a twin otter (weight wise that is), use one pilot, get there faster and burn half the gas. Trouble is, if there is a really heavy back haul out of that tiny, rough mining strip....I'd be wanting that Otter back. Then there is the cost of the fuel, the turbine maintainance, etc..

What is wrong with something like a Cub?

There is nothing wrong with a cub, for cub type tasks. For guiding purposes there is probably nothing better. To make money in the flying business, you need something that has seating/cargo capacity and is fairly reasonable to operate.

Default Sharpshooter

Trust me, if I could make a really good living flying a supercub....I probably still wouldnt do it. I grew up flying cubs and the like, and I love flying them. I prefer to make them on "off time" pusuit rather than rely on them for my bread and butter. I would though if I had to. Hard to make money in an airplane that hauls one paying passenger and their groceries an hour away. That said, you can make a lot of money with a cherokee 6, or a 207 hauling mail and people if you work you ***** off. And you might even enjoy it sometimes too! =) Not trying to dispell you by any means, just trying to add some realistic perspective.

Default T-Craft

T-craft all the way!

Quote Originally Posted by cubpilot View Post
    You say you wanna haul supplies. The occasional passenger. Ok, Ill substitute mail for your supplies and I come up with a 207, or a 206. Or a 180. Or a 737 combi. In order to make money up here in a single engine airplane, you need to have seating and cargo capacity, decent performance for using short unimproved strips, a strong desire to work very hard, and a wife with a really good sense of humor. Starting out, the best thing you could do is get up here and start pumping gas or tossing bags for an operator and work your butt off while going to school.
    Tossing bags on the Hood is actually a pretty good job...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

A few years (on another site) back I wrote up a relation chart between different planes and cars.

The Super Cub is like a CJ-5 jeep. Perfect for what it was designed to do. Which was to be a light utility /ag plane. And they did not mean for them to cost an arm and a leg. Nor did they think they would need to last forever.

The Cessna 180 is like a Chevy Tahoe 4x4

The Cessna 206 (with Alaska Mods) is like a Chevy Suburban.

The Beaver is like an Army duece and a half.

There is only one way to make a Small Fortune in Bush Flying. Start with a Large Fortune.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    There is only one way to make a Small Fortune in Bush Flying. Start with a Large Fortune.
    Wow, it sounds like farming!
    It's the journey, not the destination.