Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time to pop!

Default Time to pop!

So I now have a new addition to my family and will have a couple of weeks to spend with them. While I'm off, I'm gonna start pogpping popcorn. I have a ton of peeps, candy canes, some cookies, kool-aide, and some misc other goodies. I'm off to a good start and can't wait till May when I can start my baiting. Btw, April is a fantastic time to stock up on baiting goodies. I'm excited to add to my already dumb supply.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

Peters Creek, Alaska, United States, United States

Im using popcorn this year too, wheres a guy to get the best quantity deal on popcorn?

If I remember correctly Costco or Sams had 20# bags for around $20 last spring.

Go to Target after Easter and they always have deals on candies. I remember Jess at baitem907 told me somebody showed up to her shop to get a bait ball with a whole car packed tight with leftover Easter candies LOL. Either costco, Sams, or three bears will have the bulk popcorn.

Quote Originally Posted by akriverrat View Post
    Im using popcorn this year too, wheres a guy to get the best quantity deal on popcorn?
    For those who live in the Fairbanks area, Sams has it for like $11 right now. 50# bag

Whats the quickest way you guys pop all this corn? Ive used an airpopper but it takes forever. It overheats after like 4 loads and shuts off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man Jack View Post
    Whats the quickest way you guys pop all this corn? Ive used an airpopper but it takes forever. It overheats after like 4 loads and shuts off.
    Quickest way would be a big commercial size kettle popcorn popper, I remember somebody rented one and popped a bunch(coated in sugar,mmm making me hungry). Or pop it in a big turkey deep fryer pot, with something under neath to catch all the popcorn that'd pop out. I personally just run 3 or 4 air poppers rigged on the side of a trash can or barrel and keep them going. If you keep the air poppers off a surface where it can get good airflow, they tend to not overheat as much. I just use a ratchet strap and strap all poppers on the side of a barrel or trash can.

Right on, I'll give that a try with my air popper. Thanks man.

I used the videos Alaskanoutdoorsman posted on youtube last year. I used my turkey fryer and it worked great to pop a lot of popcorn.
    I had to do quite a few batches but I think it went way faster than an air popper. You end up with 3+ gallons a batch and it doesn't take but a few minutes per batch. here is the link to his video.
    http://youtu.be/h8W3pob-Sjwr.
    Follow his other tips as well. They seemed to really like his cherry topping.
    I was plauged with brownies last year but will plan things a little different this season and probably get a different site.
    My fiancees mom gave me 4- 5# boxes of caramel she got at a garage sale. I think I just might try giving them some caramel corn this year.
    Roust-A-Bout lure company
    Handcrafted fishing lures made right here in Alaska!
    Roust-a-boutlures@hotmail.com

Last year I used the bear candy that Alaskanoutdoorsman showed last year, and I works. However I found an easier way of doing basically the same thing. I have done a 55 gal drum in 5 days. All you do is pop about 2 cups of kernels and after is popped spray it down with a kool-aide water mix (anything you want to use will be fine as long as you get it wet) then sprinkle it with dry kool-aide. Its easy and goes by way faster.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by blasterak View Post
    Quickest way would be a big commercial size kettle popcorn popper, I remember somebody rented one and popped a bunch(coated in sugar,mmm making me hungry). Or pop it in a big turkey deep fryer pot, with something under neath to catch all the popcorn that'd pop out. I personally just run 3 or 4 air poppers rigged on the side of a trash can or barrel and keep them going. If you keep the air poppers off a surface where it can get good airflow, they tend to not overheat as much. I just use a ratchet strap and strap all poppers on the side of a barrel or trash can.
    i hear banjo's....and screaming insurance agents
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i hear banjo's....and screaming insurance agents
    hahaha.....should of put, dont try this at home

The real key is to use Coconut oil to pop it. Makes all the difference!
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

The Anchorage Sam's Club has 50# bags of popcorn for $18. That should be enough to hold me over for awhile. The wife is leaving town for a couple weeks, so popping corn and drinking beer will be my new pasttime.

Oh yeahhh

4 air poppers on a barrel is the way to go pop 55 gal in an afternoon and my nephews love it to there willing to work for handfuls of pop corn

This is what I did last year. Worked great and they never slowed down once. Just walk around the trash can refilling as needed.

2005 Hewescraft Alaskan 260 MLC.
    Knot Too Shabby

MMSI# 338156119

I used your method works good took a little under 2 hours to get 2 trash cans done.

Got my first bag done. Its flavored with kool-aide and put in peeps, cookies, oats, and some gummys that I got over Christmas. I need to get number 2 started here soon and keep on going.

Default they're drinkin' kool-aide?

Quote Originally Posted by jcorwin4278 View Post
    Got my first bag done. Its flavored with kool-aide ...
    I noticed you didn't mention which flavor of kool-aide the bears are drinkin' this year...

Just kiddin'; great to see you on here j; btw, love your avatar. That bow of yours looks wicked-fast.
    Dear whatever doesn't kill me, I'm strong enough now. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast