Thread: Trolling with OB jet?

Default Trolling with OB jet?

I just bought my first real river boat, it has a 90hp outboard jet. My question is how will this work for trolling in a lake? Will a jet work at super low rpm's? Will I be able to go slow enough? Noise?

I have never owned a jet motor before so I can't wait to try it, and I don't really have the funds to buy a kicker. I do however have a decent little minn kota 12v trolling motor but I'm not sure if it will push the boat or not......

Thanks for any input

I think your 12 volt troller will be the way to go, the jet will go slow enough, noise no problem, but slow speed steering is awful in a OB jet..............at least mine is................!
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    I think your 12 volt troller will be the way to go, the jet will go slow enough, noise no problem, but slow speed steering is awful in a OB jet..............at least mine is................!
    DITTO: Steering sucks at low speed.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

I had no issues trolling from my 16' jon with an outboard jet, did it many many times over the years. Steering at low speeds while trolling is a different matter than trying to maneuver to a dock or such at slow speeds; precision is not an issue. You should do fine.

Long ago in a land far away (west coast in the early 70's) I used to take my outboard sled offshore to troll for salmon. Steering wasn't that big an issue most of the time due to the wide open spaces.

But it's worth noting that the silvers seemed to go absolutely gaga over the jet wash. Some days we'd get all our fish 5-10' behind the boat with the bait/lure/hoochie behind about 2 ounces of lead to keep it just below the jet plume. Had a whole lot of guys wishing they were driving jets, too.

Kinda of a different animal but an animal none the less. I troll with my 350 inboard out of Seward. Not a problem. Just takes some messing with the reverse bucket to get to the right speed is all. Steering isnt all that great and is only a problem when boats get thick out at Pony Cove. If you stay focused even in a crowed you should be fine. For me though i could have purchased a nice kicker for the cost of the fuel burn of a 350 even at idel.
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

No problem trolling with a jet, hope it's a 4 stroke though. Exhaust fumes suck on a 2 stroke at trolling speed, especially when running with the breeze.
    If you find you need more steering control, put the motor in drive and throw a 5 gallon bucket over the side tied off to a cleat. Most of the time we never even put the boat in gear as it's forward propulsion just idling was already 1 to 1.5 mph.
    You'll do fine, you don't NEED a kicker but it's nice to have.
    BK

Thanks guys, I figured it could be done. I guess I will just have to mess around and try it out. That's funny about the silvers and the jet wash!

Quote Originally Posted by STEELHED View Post
    That's funny about the silvers and the jet wash!
    I'd sure check it out if you get out in salt water. Wherever you set the other lines, leave one back there under the wash. I'm betting that pretty quick everyone on the boat will be waiting in line for that spot. You can sometimes get the same things with prop wash, but it's nowhere near so consistent.

I use my DF115 Suzuki when I am trolling. Let it idle and used the gate to set speed. It sucks in crosswinds.... but most boats do. I have about 200 hours of trolling time on mine.

Same deal, I have a DF 115 on a Wooldridge Alaskan. I prefer not to troll with it only because my arms get sore turning the wheel all day. They just don't seem to track straight. That being said, it has worked fine every where I have tried it. I am likely going to get the full turn from lock to lock steering this year to help with slow speed maneuvering. Of course that is what a kicker is for, as well as for safety backup out on the river. I'll bet you will want one sooner than later, and when you do, you will swear never to leave the dock without one again. The little trolling motor might keep you off the walls, but, maybe not. What type of boat do you have anyways?

Congrats on the new money pit, I mean boat. You going to the jet boat Party this spring? Sounds like a good time and a great place to learn, especially if you are new to jet boating. I wish I would have gone to more things like that before I beached my first jet boat a few times out on the river.

I have a phantom 60/40 with the 200 optimax in it and I can't go any slower than 2.5 knots at idle. I either tie a 5 gallon bucket off the back draggin it behind the boat or you a see anchor again, tied off the back to slow the troll. I do have a 5 horse mercury kicker on it but hell, even at idle speed with that little sucker, i'm hitting 2 knots. Back to the bucket or see anchor usually... It sucks for the lakes because its too fast but is great for salt water... for me... 2.5 - 3.5 knots kills the silvers in Valdez/Whittier... "fishon"

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    Same deal, I have a DF 115 on a Wooldridge Alaskan. I prefer not to troll with it only because my arms get sore turning the wheel all day. They just don't seem to track straight. That being said, it has worked fine every where I have tried it. I am likely going to get the full turn from lock to lock steering this year to help with slow speed maneuvering. Of course that is what a kicker is for, as well as for safety backup out on the river. I'll bet you will want one sooner than later, and when you do, you will swear never to leave the dock without one again. The little trolling motor might keep you off the walls, but, maybe not. What type of boat do you have anyways?

Congrats on the new money pit, I mean boat. You going to the jet boat Party this spring? Sounds like a good time and a great place to learn, especially if you are new to jet boating. I wish I would have gone to more things like that before I beached my first jet boat a few times out on the river.
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Default first river boat

IMG_6297.JPG

Thanks Daved, here she is. Not the best pic but it's all I have right now, Like I said my first river boat so I just wanted a welded beater that I did not have to worry about scratching or denting. I have to get the wife hooked first before I can upgrade...I can't wait to get out on the water! Not sure about the jet boat gathering, will wait and see.