Thread: Fishing in June, have some questions

Default Fishing in June, have some questions

My wife and I are heading to Alaska, mostly tent camping, the first half of June (4-15). We've read many books, including the Highway Angler but still have some questions. We like to explore and don't have hard, fixed itinerary.

1) King Salmon fishing (Kenai area) One Day:
    a. any suggestions on guides and locations
    b. Do I have to book the guide months in advanced or can I expect to be able to call a day or two ahead
    2) For non king fishing, we plan on fishing lakes and streams in Kenai and also heading from Anchorage to Denali NP.
    a. What pound test?
    b. Lures or bait (and what types of bait)
    c. Should we bring our hip waders?
    d. Are boats needed or is shore fishing successful also

3) Do we need to book campground reservations in Kenai and Mat-Su or is there usually adequate availability.

for regular fishing, being trout and such things, small plastic jigs, panther martins, some small spoons, and such things really small silver spinners are good for grayling. for bait use 1/3 of a night crawler on spinners or just a plain hook, tip the hook with a single egg. maybe stick it on a bobber. nails um, 8 lbs test is good if your fishing places with hogs, but if your more going after grayling, go with 6.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I have TONS of info and suggestions for you... feel free to email akfishology@gmail.com or send a pm anytime
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

For US Forest service camp grounds you will need reservations through their website. Otherwise you will be in parking lots along the road system.

Bring light weight chest waders and good sticky rubber sole boots. Felt is illegal now.

A kayak can open up some really nice small lakes that have limited shore access.

All your other questions are regulation or species specific an are too hard to answer quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by homers View Post
    My wife and I are heading to Alaska, mostly tent camping, the first half of June (4-15). We've read many books, including the Highway Angler but still have some questions. We like to explore and don't have hard, fixed itinerary.

1) King Salmon fishing (Kenai area) One Day:
    a. any suggestions on guides and locations
    b. Do I have to book the guide months in advanced or can I expect to be able to call a day or two ahead
    2) For non king fishing, we plan on fishing lakes and streams in Kenai and also heading from Anchorage to Denali NP.
    a. What pound test?
    b. Lures or bait (and what types of bait)
    c. Should we bring our hip waders?
    d. Are boats needed or is shore fishing successful also

3) Do we need to book campground reservations in Kenai and Mat-Su or is there usually adequate availability.
    1a google up the Kenai or Soldotna Chamber of Commerce for a list of legal guides
    1b most (good) guides are booked 6 to 12 months in advance.. you might actually luck out and find someone who had a no-show or cancellation. I'd suggest you book a guide to increase your odds of hooking up with a nice king.
    2a Grayling 4#; Dollies 4-6#; Salmon 10-20#
    2b I prefer Mepps spinners 0 for grayling; 0-2 dollies; 3-5 for salmon
    2c yes... no felt soles
    2d shore fishing is good for streams along Parks hwy; small boat is best for lakes
    3 for campgrounds it would be best to book in advance; for parking lots; pull outs 1st come 1st choice.

Thanks for the responses.

I do plan on hiring a guide for king salmon; From the responses I should do it this weekend.

I'm surprised that I need to book campgrounds for the first half of June. A little disappointed also, since my wife and I like to explore once we get to an area and not have a day to day itinerary planned for the entire trip.