Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2012 Haul Road Report Thread

Default 2012 Haul Road Report Thread

Since no one has posted anything in the 2011 thread I thought I would start a 2012 report thread. Has anyone made the drive up there in the past few weeks? I am going to be making the drive next weekend and be up there for a week. The main goal is to look for a wolf, but we plan to try and fill a few more of last years caribou tags for some meat as well. I will give a full report when I return.

Cory
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Would like to hear about the trip, we're heading up toward the end of the month. Photos?

I elected not to drive up this time to work so I flew up. Last time I was on the road was the first week of February and there were quite a few caribou around MP200-240. Didn't see any within 10 miles of Atigun, but I did see a few around Galbraith and again by Pump Station 3. They are spread out pretty good. Got a wolf near Pump 4 on that trip as well. I'll be driving up again around the end of March.

Im interested to know how you got a wolf with a bow near pump station 4 Thats an awesome trophy. Congradulations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    I elected not to drive up this time to work so I flew up. Last time I was on the road was the first week of February and there were quite a few caribou around MP200-240. Didn't see any within 10 miles of Atigun, but I did see a few around Galbraith and again by Pump Station 3. They are spread out pretty good. Got a wolf near Pump 4 on that trip as well. I'll be driving up again around the end of March.

Quote Originally Posted by QDM4SURE View Post
    Im interested to know how you got a wolf with a bow near pump station 4 Thats an awesome trophy. Congradulations.
    That's a well guarded secret of the haul road.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Herod, thanks for the report and congrats on the wolf. That is our main goal of the trip, followed by putting a little more meat in the freezer. I will post a full report when I get back. Anyone else been up there recently?

Akhunternp that secret is safe with me!

We're heading up early in the morning. Anyone else been up that way recently and care to report? If not I will be back in a little over a week and have a full report and hopefully some pics! I am not liking the cold trend that is swinging back up there, but should be fun!

buddy just got back a couple days ago, said cold cold cold.

Did he have any luck? Or at least see any bou? I have been watching the weather and not looking forward to that aspect, but we are as prepared as we can be!

Hunt'N'Photos good luck to ya up there stay safe and warm,looking forward to some pics
    Dave

I have missed a few wolves with my bow up around coldfoot, first i was driving about 10 miles south of coldfoot when a moose darted infront of my truck with 2 wolves on its rump with 6 others close behind, they finally dragged her down and I got with 40 yards and shot right over the top, all the wolves bolted into the timber, second time was right past the last spruce tree i was sittng waiting for a group of caribou to come my way and a wolf wandered close and I shot right under him.

Well, the hunt was a huge sucess! we ended up taking 2 caribou, a black wolf, two red fox and two ptarmigan. the story is posted here http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...and-photo-trip

Hows the snow depth up there looking? I know 2 years ago we heard talk from truckers this time of year they saw a grizz around the Atigan Pass?

Quote Originally Posted by hoythunter View Post
    Hows the snow depth up there looking? I know 2 years ago we heard talk from truckers this time of year they saw a grizz around the Atigan Pass?
    I think the griz are going to be a little late this year. It was about -10 to -20 south of the pass with loads of deep snow and -30 to -50 north of the pass with loads of windblown snow. We were camped just south of Atigun at that pullout near the furthest north pine tree and there was probably 4 feet of snow on the ground where it wasnt windblown.

Just fueled up and ready to hit the road in the morning. I'll be making a work run to Prudhoe so I plan to play along the way. It looks like a boar is up and running around near Kotz, so you never know. I'll keep an eye out and make sure that big old boar hanging out near Atigun doesn't bother anybody else this year.

If you see any of his buddies leave them be ill be up later in April.

Looking forward to hearing your report Jerod! Good luck and have a safe trip!

Same here about the report. I have been watching the web cams up there getting excited.

Had a good drive. The new truck doesn't like ice too well... big shout out to traction control! About 20 miles north of Coldfoot were the first caribou, but they were way off. Got behind a dog mushing crew, and pulled up to a stuck truck. I backed up to him to pull him out, but it was too icy. It wasn't too long before a big rig came by and it even took him a bit to pull him out. Talked to the dog mushers (Lackey's). They were headed up to do a week long hunt with the dogs. Lance and his dad are very nice people.

Started seeing more bou on the south side of Atigun. I was going to head up the mountain and cut off the herd working its way north, but the local that was stuck pulled up and I told him to go ahead on the caribou. He put a decent sized one down, and I headed up the mountain after the next group coming through. The other herd circled around and went back to the group I was persuing, so they all busted off the mountain and stopped about 20 yards off the road and started grazing... go figure.

I saw a few here and there the rest of the way up to Prudhoe. Saw a small herd of moose that I'll be checking on next week when I drive back to Fairbanks. Sure wish that season had been open today! No fur seen except a dumpster fox just out of Deadhorse.

Oh yea, and Sirius works up here, I couldn't believe it. I tried it 20 miles south of Deadhorse and it came in just fine. When I drive home next week, I'll see how far south it works. I'm sure it'll cut out in the mountains.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast