Thread: Kodiak Fishing and Canoeing

Default Kodiak Fishing and Canoeing

I will be staying up in Chiniak on Kodiak Island at a recommended Kodiak fishing lodge. Does anyone have any suggestions for rivers that are both good for canoeing and for fishing? I will be up there in August. The guys at the lodge said they would take me anywhere I want for some self guided fishing. Any advice would be welcome.

Rivers are pretty small, more like creeks. But Rosetead lake is great for silvers a little later. Chiniak Lagoon is terrific for landlocked silvers from 8"-20" or so. Dead flat calm days I've used canoes to get off the beach a little in the heads of the bays, but that's really weather-specific.

Chiniak Lagoon sounds like it would be pretty close to the lodge Im staying at. I will pull up a map to see about Rosetead Lake. If it's size is good I could make it an all day trip. thanks much!

Rosetead is over at Pasagshak, about 20 minutes away. Even though Chiniak Lagoon is closer, the road is tuff enough that Rosetead is likely quicker.

One area we enjoy a lot is half way back to town at Mayflower beach. When the wind is calm or from the west, the ocean in the lee of Broad Point and inside of the islands is flat as a lake and fairly confined. Later in August silvers can stack in there if the needlefish schools collect, too making for great canoe fishing close to shore.

One I left out is Roselyn Beach. If the wind is from the north or east fuggedaboutit. But with winds from the south and to a lesser degree from the west, it's a "lake" in there too if there's no shore break. The silvers tend to collect there late in August but lie a little out of casting range from shore. Many a silver has come over the side of our canoe off that beach over the years.

Thanks so much for the details. What are your top 5 fishing spots on shore or wading or paddling on Kodiak? Where is the best time and place to catch a trophy Salmon? Thanks

It depends entirely on when you will be there and the species available at the time. Tides are important too. Lots of salmon seasonally, but there's a succession of runs.