Thread: Tricky moose tag question

Default Tricky moose tag question

Lets say you are a NR and have a moose tag (OTC) and you see a nice black bear shoot it (legally) and tag it with your moose tag. Can you go back and get another moose tag and continue to hunt moose?

In other words can you only TAKE one moore, or can you only BUY one moose tag?

I am confused, are you asking if you can take a black bear with a moose tag? If that is what you are thinking, then the answer is no, you have to have a moose tag for moose and black bear tag for bear, in the units that require a tag for black bear.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Alaska F&G would have the absolute facts. My take on it: You're buying one moose tag, and that's all the moose tags you can buy. If you use it on any 'lesser' species, it's still a used moose tag. Burn it carefully, and be 100% satisfied with what you attach it to.

Its written out pretty clearly in the regs that you can use a more expensive tag to harvest an animal of a lesser tag value, but as K Dill said once you burn it your done with that tag....

but as always adfg is the ultimate decider....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by DonV View Post
    Lets say you are a NR and have a moose tag (OTC) and you see a nice black bear shoot it (legally) and tag it with your moose tag. Can you go back and get another moose tag and continue to hunt moose?

In other words can you only TAKE one moore, or can you only BUY one moose tag?

Don most your question has been answered..however i want to be sure you understand, the Non res tag is a TWO peice process.. you will reqire a Harvest ticket for moose... and black bear i unit 20A... However..as a non res you must also Purchase lockng tags for those AND one for your caribou permit....

that LOCKING tag you purchase can be attached to any animal lefal to harvest that has a same or lessor value lockng tag
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I still need to go over the locking tag part. I have no intention of doing this I was just curious. Thanks

basically upon harvest on the card you notch whatever the date is kind of a time stamp thing, the locking tag is for the trophy so to speak..horns,antlers hides of bears and such...

on a drawing hunt you will be mailed the card as part of your permit but will still have to purchase the locking tag...unless something has changed

So if you punch your $400 moose tag on a black bear, what is keeping you from going and buying a $425 sheep tag or a $450 bison tag and then going back after moose using your new tag?

As quoted from the regs:

A big game tag may be used for a species of equal or lower value. For example, if you purchase a $500 brown bear tag, but do not take a brown bear, and take a moose instead, you may use the bear tag on the moose, since the moose has a lesser tag value.

You must then complete a harvest report for the moose, which requires that you obtain a harvest ticket before you hunt. However, you may not use a tag for an animal of a species you have already taken, unless the bag limit for that species is greater than one.

A tag may not be used more than once, and two or more tags cannot be used on one animal.
    It also has a note for vendors: "You may issue harvest tickets whether or not a locking tag has been purchased for a particular species."

What that tells me is that when you buy your locking tag for moose, you will need to pick up a harvest ticket for black bears if you think you might shoot one, even if you don't purchase the locking tag for black bears. If you go back out for moose with a bison or sheep locking tag, you'll need to obtain the harvest ticket for moose. The grey area is, can you buy another locking tag for moose? If the answer is no, then you should still be okay with a more expensive tag.

Jerod way to think it one step further! I did not think of that! I would think your plan should work?

I had thought of that late last night and almost posted, but the reason that I didn't is that in order for a non-resident to hunt sheep or bear, they have to have a guide listed to purchase the tag I think. Don is hunting solo so that may not be an option for him. No problem to buy a caribou tag and then shoot deer and then buy a moose tag and shoot a caribou, as no guide requirement is in play for those species. The guide issue is the only thing to check on purchasing a tag on the plan suggested..

I think this would be a great question for the ask a trooper section of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by driveacub View Post
    I had thought of that late last night and almost posted, but the reason that I didn't is that in order for a non-resident to hunt sheep or bear, they have to have a guide listed to purchase the tag I think. Don is hunting solo so that may not be an option for him. No problem to buy a caribou tag and then shoot deer and then buy a moose tag and shoot a caribou, as no guide requirement is in play for those species. The guide issue is the only thing to check on purchasing a tag on the plan suggested..
    I don't think you are limited to buying a locking tag because it is a guide only animal. Regardless, you could buy the bison tag which isn't a guide required critter. The main issue is making sure you have regular harvest tags for all possible critters before you go hunting. The locking tag isn't the big legal issue, it's having an expensive enough locking tag and the appropriate harvest ticket.

I am curious to see if you can buy more than one locking tag for a species though. I tend to think that you can, but if you can't, you can always search out the loopholes.

Jerod you have brought a really interesting point and I am interested in finding out adfg's take on all of this...driveacub is correct on the tag and guide requirement to purchase you have to supply guides name or 2nd kindreds name, so assuming he could as you pointed out he would have to buy a bison tag....

hard to say what they will say about purchasing two of the same tags,I would be curious as to what a trooper would say if he checked your license and seen two locking moose tag receipts....

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I am confused, are you asking if you can take a black bear with a moose tag? If that is what you are thinking, then the answer is no, you have to have a moose tag for moose and black bear tag for bear, in the units that require a tag for black bear.
    Sorry for my comment, I had no idea a nonres could use a tag for one animal on a different species, I guess since I have never been a nonres, I never read the nonres regulations, you learn something new every day
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Back in 66 when I was a non resident, I bought a sheep tag, really expecting to shoot a moose with it, and then got a sheep so bought a moose tag later for moose hunting. In those days a NR could hunt sheep without a guide. I have known this for a long time. Don, when Carl hunts here with me he always buys the more expensive tag of the possible species he might be hunting, since it is more versatile. Of course, he is hunting with next of kin so can purchase any additional tags he wants if he uses the 1st tag. I don't think that he can buy a 2nd tag for the same species but that MIGHT be possible after checking in a lessor priced animal with the 1st tag. Only F&G can answer that.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Cover all your basees... and buy three musk ox tags
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Given the total investment of this hunt would another $225 for a black bear tag break the bank? It might be worth the peace of mind to know you you can hunt with absolute confidence that the animals you are most likely to encounter will be legal...and there are some nice blackies in 20A.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Hi Don,

I just checked with F&G and the word is that in order to purchase a sheep or brown bear tag you would need a guide. That being said, if yiou were to use your moose (I'll say tag) on a bear it would be possible to purchase a 2nd moose tag as long as you were able to show that the first one was used on a bear and not a moose. That is not the cheapest and smartest way to approach the problem though. Yu should have the metal locking part for both animals in your possesion in the first palce.

Is he getting picked up in a Chinook helicopter? I'm interested in this moose/caribou/bear/bear combo hunt but I always assumed weight would be a limiting factor.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

He's taking in 2 Huey's.....

I think that he is just in the winter blues like the rest of us and trying to get it all out on the table - it is better to know the rulz than not.